Is a factory 4 speed 1971-73 Mach1 more desirable?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I would like to know if a factory 4 speed 1971-73 Mach is more desirable and valuable than an auto/

I personally prefer the 4 speed for the 'fun factor" of driving it and could not care if its more valuable or not...but just wondering what other forum members think.

I used to have a 1972 Q code Mach 1 auto and it was fun too!!

In my opinion, yes. I would rather have even a 3 speed than an automatic. I guess I just prefer manual transmissions.

Mine is now a 5-speed (well mostly) converted (well mostly) :D from a C-6. Value in my opinion would depend on the overall package of options. I think it is more likely to find a "loaded" car with an automatic than a stick. It is probable the higher performance Mustangs would come with a 4 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
While "value" is in the eye of the beholder, I would venture to say that "more valuable" as it relates to classic automobiles usually comes down to rarity.

Using that bench mark, the C6 Mustangs were rarer in 1971 than the 4-speed cars as there was a total of 6,190 C6 Mustangs versus 7,672 4-speed Mustangs.

In 1972, there were 7,108 C6 Mustangs and 3,539 4-speed Mustangs.

In 1973, there were 22, 757 C6 (14,428 2V 351s and 8,329 4V 351s) Mustangs and 4,228 4-speed Mustangs.

NOTE: All C6 and 4-speed Mustangs built in 1972 were behind versions of the 351 4V engines. All 4-speeds in 1973 were behind 351 4V. The 1971 Mustangs included at least one 4-speed behind all engines excepts the 6-cyclinders and the 302-2V Low Compression export version.

Source: "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967 -1973)"

BT

In 1972, there were 7,108 C6 Mustangs and 3,539 4-speed Mustangs.

Cool,,,guess out of all of them, mine falls into least amount of 4-speeds produced for the total 3 year run.

My daily driver is '71 M-code Grande with a toploader. Who would order a car like that?

It is all original, matching casting numbers down to the frame.

Or, was my car built from left over parts Ford needed to clear from inventory?

Aside from that, people have referred to it as a sleeper.

mike

There were 419 M-Coded 4-speed Mustang Coupes built in 1971. I am sure that a few of those were probably Grandes:).

That having been said, you DEFINITELY have a "rare" one!

BT

Using that bench mark, the C6 Mustangs were rarer in 1971 than the 4-speed cars as there was a total of 6,190 C6 Mustangs versus 7,672 4-speed Mustangs.

BT
Something's not adding up.

There were 149678 Mustangs built in 71 (according to this site). I also heard the vast majority were automatics. What were the rest of the 135816 Mustangs built with??? They must have used alot of FMXs or C4s too. It's very hard to believe the rest were 3-speed sticks. It was very difficult for me to find an origional clutch peddle (they just started repop-ing them last year).

To the OP: If it's a 4-speed, especially with a 351 or bigger, keep it stock. It's definatly rare and desireable.

BT

There were 149678 Mustangs built in 71 (according to this site). I also heard the vast majority were automatics. What were the rest of the 135816 Mustangs built with??? Did they use alot of FMXs or C4s? It's hard to beleive the rest were 3-speed sticks.

To the OP: If it's a 4-speed, especially with a 351 or bigger, keep it stock. It's definatly rare and desireable.
The vast majority (70,970) were built with 302 2V and C4s. There were also 24, 916 (302 2V) built with the FMX. There were 9,462 (250 1V) built with the C4 and 8,036 (302 2V) built with the 3-speed.

The rest consisted of a combinations of 3-speeds, C4s and FMX transmission that were behind other versions of the 250, the 302 and 351.

Rarity is probably not always what it is cracked up to be as it relates to desirability. I believe it depends upon what an individual is looking for in a transmission.

BT

There were 149678 Mustangs built in 71 (according to this site). I also heard the vast majority were automatics. What were the rest of the 135816 Mustangs built with??? They must have used alot of FMXs or C4s too. It's very hard to believe the rest were 3-speed sticks. It was very difficult for me to find an origional clutch peddle (they just started repop-ing them last year).

"Desirable" is in the eye of the beholder. My car is rare for sure, 1 of 100 built, but I don't know if that makes it worth anymore. The car recently developed a cracked block. First thought was to just junk it. Never make important decisions when you are angry. Several forum members suggested a crate engine. I thought about dropping a 427 in it, the drive train and suspension could handle one. BUT, it would not be original. It is very difficult to find a decent 351C 4V that does not require a lot of work. Lo and behold another forum member dropped one in my lap. A freshly rebuilt 351C 4v quench head long block with a cam never fired. The engine has matching casting numbers that match my frame/drive train. I stole this engine from Don of OMS (site vendor). We haggled about the price for about 5 seconds which is how long it took me to quit stuttering. Long story short, if you have a rare Mustang do whatever it takes to keep it original. That includes getting lucky :p

mike

'71 351C 4v quench Grande w/toploader

So only 5 percent of 1971 Mustangs were 4-speeds and 1806 of those were Boss 351s, that knocks it down to about 3.9%. Any 4-speed car is rare indeed! Plus it's rare AND desireable. No wonder origional 4-speeds are so hard to find in these years!

Back