Is it just me??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraJet351

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351cj, toploader, 3.5 gears, all factory options.
Is it just me, or does everyone feel like giving up halfway through a build. Don't get me wrong, I will finish my car no doubt, but sometimes it feels so overwhelming with all the money I'm putting in it. This build will cost me in excess of 40k, including price of the car.

Does anyone else go through this?

It can get frustrating. I tried to keep my car running and on the road as long as I could and did little repairs here and there. It kept my interest up by being able to take it out for a spin. Hang it there and don't give up!

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I was overwhelmed and didn't feel like I had done anything and the projects kept piling up it seemed. But when I got the motor running good and all of the drivetrain buttoned up. I drove it down the road with no hood, mirrors, bumpers and open headers and it made all of the work worth the wait. That first little drive down the road was so much fun it encourages to this day to keep at it and finish.

Enjoy even the smallest of victories, it helps keep you motivated.

I don't about everyone but, I feel most experience a similar emotion. Our serious, non-hobby lives, require priority attention and delays in completing a project often occur. My Mach was stripped to the unibody and sat that way for 2.5 years before I started on it again. It took me another 22 months to finish it. It did get done. So hang in there. Besides, it sounds like you are not the chicken associated with breakfast but rather the pig associated with breakfast. You are committed rather than just being involved.

Good Luck,

Chuck

No, it is not just you and that is why it is GREAT to have a community of folks that "have been there", "are going there" or that are "current there" where you are.

I get a lot of joy out of the actual "doing it" as it is something I truly love. Of course, some of us are older and have a bit more disposable income which makes it somewhat easier:).

I guess I would say that it is like everything else in life. You find the things that truly interested you and you will be happy with "doing it." If you are not happy with what you are doing, it might be time to "regroup."

BT

No you are not, I ask myself everyday, what in the world was I thinking? Then something small actually gets completed and for a day or to it now I know why. I quit counting money on it along time ago, I have a folder I just put all the reciepts in. Maybe one day I will have the guts to add them up. Thats why its good to get a plan and stick to it. These cars kinda relate to life itself during a build. WANTS and NEEDS. Did I need Aluminum heads and the March serpintine system, NO, but have always wanted them. So I bought them without thinking of what other problems they could cause down the road with the build. But my thoughts are I want to do this once and not be like I hear alot at the shows, people saysing I wish I had done that when I was building Mine. It has taken a long time to this point, but it is also paid for 100%. When she does fire up and drive out I will owe no one a dime on the car so that is my saving grace in this ordeal. Good luck and keep your chin up.

The mustang was and is a rolling resto. My primary motivation is to 'keep it running', this was stronger when it was my daily driver. There was a period where it became a 'garage shelf' and was starting to store stuff on and in it.

I have a Jeep Cherokee (1982) that I did a LOT of work to in a very short period of time. I was motivated to get it completed before a yearly gathering of 'full size jeep' folks in Ouray CO. The deadline became very motivating.

I've had some "WTF have I done?" moments since I took on my project (especially right after I cut the front clip off), but I can't ever see getting to the 'give it up' point.

Walk away for a weekend (or two, if you can stand it). You'll feel a lot better when you get back at it.

If your is not on the road, find a member from here that lives closeby and see if you can take theirs for a spin, that may get you motivated again.

I am motivated as hell to get my dream car finished, I promise it will happen. It's just very interesting to see what we go through during a build, if only people knew...

Man... i understand what you are saying 100%... Me being in Uruguay, with no extra money to do this restoration things as a hobbie and having to do it everything myself... sometimes it gets VERY frustrated...

Not only that but with some projects, the monthes turns into years and the car is still sitting and me, trying to find out the best way to going on...

Since i found this site, i have some other brains in you guys to support me and believe me... it turns much more enjoyable... Not only that, when you find a nice group of people like this one, you learn A LOT and that trully helps a guy like me that do everything by myself...

In a few words, i keep saying to the guys who present in here as "starting a project"... For me, the best way to go through with this with success is to PLAN everything... take time and learn not only to love the finished master piece but to love and enjoy... and get satisfied by the process...

There was one time that i thought about canning my plans for my 72 coupe to get a foxbody that everybody i knew thought i should get but a very special woman convinced me to stay in it and finish the car and I will always love her for it. and she would know too, she has a 70 fastback.

I understand what your talking about. That's why one of the reasons I'm going to use my Avatar that rocket is updating as the picture I won in the fun question. A glance at it every now and then will keep your eye and heart on the prize.

Hang in there.. We all fall back to where you are sometimes. It all falls back to what your plan was when you started. Mine was to drive and enjoy so I am not restoring just reworking to drive. But after OH the drivetrain the bunny keeps going $$ and going $$ The key which helps is if you can still drive and enjoy during the work.

Alan L

I understand too. I've owned my car for 11 years, but I've only gotten to drive it since January. Mostly due to college and bills. I drove several other psuedo projects during that time and every one taught me things. There have been times I wanted to sell it, but my wife encouraged me to hang on. Even though it's not done she was definitely right. Also, now that I can drive it, it is much more fun!

i feel like i've kinda given up at the moment. taken 4 steps forward and 6 back.

I have not driven my car in 2 weeks I've been perusing other things. i did work on it last week, killing my old A/C compressor and switching the compressor and the drier out, but the system is leaking somewhere and pissed me off so i walked away from the car for a while.

its been like this for 6 years now, i feel like I'm forever walking backwards.

I have a ton of motivation, but no time to get cracking! Between work and family...free time is almost zero! :(

Back