Is my price unreasonable?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I am still on the fence about selling the car but do have it listed on CL and FB market place.  I originally had it listed for $9850 but lowered it to $9450.  I had a lot of interest the first few days of the add but now no interest at all.  I will keep it before I let it go cheap and not in a hurry to sale but if a buyer comes along I will let it go,

Is my price reasonable? High? Low?

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/clover-1972-mach-1/6815963953.html

Sometimes we try to reach the wrong market. To explain myself. I use to sell parts at swap meets, Charlotte speedway in spring and fall, Charlotte fairgrounds, Maggie Valley etc.. I was talking with guy next to me and ask how I could sell more. He looked at what I had which usually to 3 or 4 spots to put out. He said my prices were too low to go up on price, lol. He said I was trying to sell to the wrong group of car guys. He said that higher prices brought in the guy with money would buy quicker and not be afraid of my low prices.

He was right I raised prices and I sold more, lol.

Most people are not going to have $9,000 or $10,000 to go out an buy a car needing $20,000 in work for a full restore.

I would not cut the price myself. Your car is a desirable color and model.

Just take to some shows this year and someone will walk up and want it. Charlotte in a few weeks is a great place for that. Especially the Mustang 55 show. Everyone there is a Mustang fan.

I get lots of attention at shows because so few 71 - 73 come out. I was only one in Charlotte last year and several wanted me to price the car. I did at one show he had one new and his wife crashed and totaled it. H came over wanted to sit in the car, start it and looked it over for an hour. I gave him price three times what I paid for it and he came back again and kept looking. I was afraid he was going to take it, lol. Only driver I have right now.

I think you are "reasonable" AND in fact possibly THE VALUE of cars offered in that range !!

1) TO ME "the seller" is as important as the SALE pitch! I vet everything before spending my money (to help others). YOU seem to be a great guy, member , seller ! HELL - you have even lowered price 5% to show you are negotiable , MAKING AN EFFORT !

2) Have seen this car on FB group - with comment - "wish you were closer" or WISH I WAS CLOSER. PEOPLE that can't pay to ship , or don't know what it takes to get a better car BY SHIPPING shouldn't effect your price, sale or thought that you car is bad!

I remember your post of "not sure if I want to finish" - MY GUESS is that the "NEXT PART" is daunting, more expensive and or you don't have the painting connections to do cost effectively -then putting you in the I GOT SO MUCH in this car (with a replaced pan and yada yada yada).

YOUR idea of a trade (trade value) is probably the BEST thing IMO. I would even go so far as to ASK what would you like for a car? Someone might over value your car (or be willing to devalue their car too so you can BOTH be happy. The nice thing with a trade is both parties "come together" KNOWING they have to get cars to different locations. When I help friends with sales like that, I find that extending the time frame (to work into repair time, shipping time or "Oh I'm going to SC /AZ anyway and I'm empty" USUALLY helps eliminating a $5K shipping bill (making the shipper money)

Mark

P.S. So you know I'm not a buyer for this - though I just wrote the IRS a similar check! I do know a possible party - do you like 72 Sprints?

Your price is fine.

$4300 for this H-code pile of rust is why I say you need to stick to your asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Ford-Mustang-Mach-One-/223445718818?hash=item3406671722%3Ag%3ACs4AAOSwJzpciAgu&nma=true&si=ca0hsfbmzkq4rxhfqcSBBJRIGn8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Your car is very desirable in that it's a Mach1, a 4V 351C and a 4 speed. If someone doesn't like the color, they can change it when it's painted.
Holy SH*T Batman! You ain't kidding. That's a parts car at best, may be a grand!

Personally I think Wade is too low and will only attract tire kickers He's already done a lot of the heavy lifting mechanically. With a bit of searching it could be painted quite reasonably and the interior isn't that expensive either. I did mine for less then 15 grand (Canadian) 4 years ago so about 11-12K US. That did not include seat cover as they were new when bought. That would still put the car still at good value imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I look at something like this, I ask - how much of the original car is left for me to reconstruct ... I instantly tot up the amount I'm going to have to shell out to get this to top spec. 

....then look at the asking price ... if it fits together, then I buy it ... if it doesn't, I tend to run away unless I can do a deal. 

some people will ask for 10's of thousands for a bucket of rust....

Knowing what I know now, regarding what it takes to get one back together and nice (not necessarily faithfully restored), I would happily pay your price.  I like that it's a 'no stripes/no spoilers' car, too.  Those big fat Cobras and Centerlines actually appeal to me as well.

Yeah, David's right that it could take upwards of $20K to get it back to good, depending on the level of restoration or restomod one would fancy, maybe even more.  But what people don't realize is that these project cars never come out in financial favor of the person doing the work required to make it nice again.  When potential buyers try to low-ball a seller, they don't realize, or maybe just don't care, that the seller is already taking a loss just trying to sell it.

I wish I was in the market, because my in-laws all live in Sumter, and my wife prefers to drive when we visit them, rather than fly.  It would be no big deal to roll out there in my Ram, get a one-way U-haul car trailer, and take an extra day driving back to West Texas.

Good luck with it.   :cool:

Its more of a matter of time and desire than anything. As anal as I am this will be a 10 year project to get it to where I'm happy. I am still tinkering with it and plan on getting some interior pieces at the autofair next month. For the body and paint there are only a few spots that I would have a body man repair. As for the paint I would do that myself as I have already painted 2 cars in the past so I know that a good paint job is all in the prep. A monkey could actually shoot the color... :)

I'm sure you guys are going to roll your eyes but I am really wanting a new GT (meaning a year old). I want something to get in and drive and enjoy now. The wife says no unless I sale this one. I wish I could keep it and still buy a newer one.

I'm sure you guys are going to roll your eyes but I am really wanting a new GT (meaning a year old).  I want something to get in and drive and enjoy now.  The wife says no unless I sale this one.  I wish I could keep it and still buy a newer one.
I don't see a problem here.  Just tell her you're keeping the '72 after you pull up in the newer GT.  Do you really need sex at this point?  LOL

Totally get the "want a new car" ! I attended the show in Sturgis a while back and was "amazed" at the OLD GUYS with new cars (that usually came with a young girl and a little dog) in attendance. AS we were working to unload and load a trailer and all the work to set up - they were enjoying breakfast (sit down not McD's in the truck) etc etc.

When we talked they were like "yeah I have a 67 Gt 500 too" or I bought this for the GIRL - LOL!

Mark

i don't feel your price is NOT out of town... with a little work it's a driver. u have all the right stuff.. mach 1, cleveland, 4 spd. underneath is good, body is good, engine rebuilt.

really only a few items left to make sure good and drive it.

Im going to replace the intake manifold gasket today and then order new rear tires for it so I can have the full set of factory rims back on it.  Then Im going to finish painting and reassembling the dash and stick the passenger side seat back in.  Once all that is done it truly is a driver.  I went through the breaks about 2 years ago and from the test drive the other day they work good.

Once again I will say I am so torn about selling it.  But I will keep it listed and let it go if someone pays my price.

Totally get the "want a new car" !   I attended the show in Sturgis a while back and was "amazed" at the OLD GUYS with new cars (that usually came with a young girl and a little dog) in attendance.    AS we were working to unload and load a trailer and all the work to set up - they were enjoying breakfast (sit down not McD's in the truck) etc etc.

When we talked they were like "yeah I have a 67 Gt 500 too" or I bought this for the GIRL - LOL!

Mark
Hey nothing wrong with old guys having young gal friends, lol. I do. I have two little dogs also, lol.

I don't know if you do facebook, but if you do, ask to join this group...and post it for sale..........I'm not much into facebook itself, but I like going here and seeing what is going on......

go to facebook and paste this into the search engine:

barter trade and sell hot rods & classics trader junkies

I don't know if you do facebook, but if you do, ask to join this group...and post it for sale..........I'm not much into facebook itself, but I like going here and seeing what is going on......

go to facebook and paste this into the search engine:

barter trade and sell hot rods & classics trader junkies
I am a member of this group on FB and posted it a few weeks back.  I got a ton of likes and comments.  Several expressed interest but couldnt buy for one reason or another.  Thanks for the recommendation though.  ::thumb::

Back