Is this where I ask about a roll bar?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Now, I know I ain’t building no race or even a track car, but I still would like to add a roll bar because I can. So, looking for other warped minded owners who have installed one, to see if this Competition Engineering Roll Bar C3155 bar is any good: good defined as it fit ok, didn’t require major surgery, and looked ok when done. Here is their bar:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-3155
I understand the stock interior might/will require modifications to fit. Right now, my interior is all original, mostly old/bad, and I’m a ways away from worrying how it looks on the inside. It looks bad enough on the outside that no one will look at the inside lol.

I already have subframe connectors. Thanks for any suggestion on doing this, Steve.

Something to keep in mind about roll bars is that they are typically intended to be in cars where helmets are worn. I don't remember the standard distance that is considered safe but there is supposed to be a pretty large distance between the occupant's heads and any bars. Even with a five point harness, heads can move far beyond the static restrained condition during a crash. Also, real roll bar padding is quite stiff and intended to work with a helmet not a skull.

My wife has a former SCCA competition car that still has a bar/cage. The seats are significantly lowered to create a safety zone between bars and heads (the lowered seating can really impact forward vision in some set ups). With the shoulder harnesses properly worn (a must with a bars) the driver can't reach all the controls on the dash.

A simple hoop that is safe for the front occupants will usually make the rear unsafe for anyone.

I'm not saying a street car shouldn't have a bar just be aware of the potentiality risks/aggravations associated with street use ( including giving rides to taller than usual guests).

Something to keep in mind about roll bars is that they are typically intended to be in cars where helmets are worn. I don't remember the standard distance that is considered safe but there is supposed to be a pretty large distance between the occupant's heads and any bars. Even with a five point harness, heads can move far beyond the static restrained condition during a crash. Also, real roll bar padding is quite stiff and intended to work with a helmet not a skull.

My wife has a former SCCA competition car that still has a bar/cage. The seats are significantly lowered to create a safety zone between bars and heads (the lowered seating can really impact forward vision in some set ups). With the shoulder harnesses properly worn (a must with a bars) the driver can't reach all the controls on the dash.

A simple hoop that is safe for the front occupants will usually make the rear unsafe for anyone.

I'm not saying a street car shouldn't have a bar just be aware of the potentiality risks/aggravations associated with street use ( including giving rides to taller than usual guests).
This is absolutely correct. Head contact in a crash will almost certainly result in serious or fatal head injury. And for the bar to be effective and provide rollover protection for the head, it can't be too far back. So it really doesn't work too well, safely, for a street car. If you were to install one it must be covered with a high density roll bar specific padding anywhere contact can be made. You can see that on the bar at the top of the pic of the interior of my GT1 Camaro. But even with that and a helmet, contact can still have consequences.

Attachments

• GT1 Camaro Cockpit.jpeg
    GT1 Camaro Cockpit.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 0
Hemikiller, you’re right. I had the wrong bar listed. The one I want is C3039-K. Thanks for the inputs on head clearance issues. The only people who could fit in the backseats are kids, and none of my grandkids will ever sit there.

Hemikiller, you’re right. I had the wrong bar listed. The one I want is C3039-K. Thanks for the inputs on head clearance issues. The only people who could fit in the backseats are kids, and none of my grandkids will ever sit there.

Sending you a PM

Back