IT'S A-LIVE!!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After 20+ years the Mustang finally starts and moves. I began to restore it by pulling the engine and having it rebuilt. Then life happened and it sat on jack stands for over 20 years. I finally pulled out the tubs of parts and last month got it started. I'm looking to get it back on the road and have been researching front suspension parts. Needless to say it looks like a old gasser race car with the front end up in the air. So any ideas? Are coil overs worth it?

Pictures please. There's been a few of us in the same situation. I've had mine for about 20 years. Seems like every time I get time to work on it something comes up. Now it's been about 5 years since it ran.

Congratulations on getting it to move under its own power.

Welcome from Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from west Michigan.  Congrats on getting the car closer to being back on the road. 

What do you plan to do with the car? What is your budget? I personally would not spend the money to replace the front suspension. Our generation of Mustang can be made to drive and handle very well with mostly stock components. Once you get the car completely together you can start to tune the ride height.  Don't just go after it willy nilly there is a way to lower it by cutting the original springs predictably. 

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.

As Don said, pictures please. We LOVE pictures. Also you did not mention what Mustang you have.

As Droptop73 said, It depends on your budget and what YOU want to do with your car. There is no need for coil-overs, BUT be careful what you buy for stock replacement components. Speaking from experience, the Scott Drake front end rebuild "kit" I bought, although ok, I could have bought US made MOOG components, which are considered better quality. As for springs, I HIGHLY recommend go straight to Eaton Detroit Springs and buy from them or National Parts Depot (NPD). You can buy 1" lowering springs and do the job right. Cutting springs alters the spring rate, but can be done. Again on mine, I retained the original front coil springs as they were still in perfect condition. On the rear, I just switched from a bad set of Grab-A-Track 4.5 leaf, to a set of Eaton Boss 351 springs at 153lb spring rate and an Addco 7/8" anti-sway bar, along with KYB shocks all round. This is on a 71 Mach 1, should have mentioned that to start.

Check out the link to Eaton Springs. Good luck with your car.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/36373-an-interesting-and-informative-video-from-eaton-detroit-springs/?do=getNewComment

Welcome  from Ohio.  Sounds like you will be busy for awhile. As  mentioned several times above we love pictures.  Lots of friendly and helpful people here  so don't be afraid to ask for help.  We are all learning new stuff everyday.  

Thank you everyone for your support. I have these probably unrealistic ideas of what it could be, but really just want it get it back on the road after so long. I'll shoot some pictures this weekend.

Odd that it sits that high with the engine in it?? For sure do not drive much without the shock tower braces in they are very important. As far as switching to coil overs unless you are going to race on road coarse no reason to change and would not be legal if you did. Good Eaton springs for right engine and model are best.

Nice car but mmmh, it sits way too high on the front, but not on the rear... Although the hood is missing it shouldn't be that high without it. 

Was there a front suspension change and the bolts were fully torqued with the car on the lift or the jacks by completely hanging suspension? Are the front springs changed to some too strong ones? Missaligned strut rods? Something seems odd there... 

And: as other mentioned, if you don't want to race that car regularly buy quality suspension parts! That's enough and you will wonder how good this car will handle and that will safe you some extra cost. I use Moog, Proforged and NOS, nothing else. 

Back