Jack stand and Handle/Lug Wrench

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT
What is the original part number on the jack stand and handle/lug wrench found in the 72 Mach 1 with the space saver spare?  Also are the old canisters that are still "full" safe or can they be dangerous at all?

I do not know the part # but I think they are the same with space saver or without. The canister has propane it I think so it will not rust inside or anything and the amount is so small I would not think any danger. I believe mine leaked out slowly over time. I never used my spare in the Mach 1 it got mold on it I guess in photo. The lug wrench is the same also. I have several 72 73 and they all look the same to me. I there were like three suppliers and who ever was the cheapest that year got the job. The 1964 1/2 and early 65 had a ratchet jack handle.

There was never any kind of felt pad like you see in lots of cars and no trunk mats either. This one has the spare tire lock like came with the protection package. Mach 1 did not have it but I added to keep someone from taking tire at show when trunk open but only went to a couple shows before parking in 1982.

The biggest danger with the space saver spare is to pump it up with air compressor. People did get killed or injured and there was a recall to add another warning sticker and put the pop off valve that is part of the fill valve.

I walked like 6 miles one time to not use my spare, lol. I think the tanks were like $16.00 back in the day maybe $100 today. One of the members did a post on how to restore the tank that was perfect.

David

delete your account page link

I picked this up off Ebay and was wondering if it was correct for the year.  This came with the jack, wrench/handle, lock?, and the bottle which it said is still full.

The auction said the jack is stamped A8 AD and the handle is stamped 7AZ but not sure that means anything.

ITMike5.0, from 65-78 Ford used seven different part numbers for the Mustang jack. The 71-73's used D1ZZ-17080-A (ID# D1ZB-17080-AA, AB, AC) which was used on all models regardless of the style spare tire used. The D1ZZ jack was eventually replaced by service part D4ZZ-17080-A (ID# D4ZW-17080-AA). There was a 77 Mustang II/Pinto jack that actually replaced the D1ZZ jack originally (D7FZ-17080-A ID# D8EC-AA) but it was retro replaced by the D4ZZ jack. There were several more replacements going on up into the Fox era but I'm not going to try to drown you with numbers.  

The jack handle/wrench used in the 71-73's is DOZZ-17032-A and was serviced replaced in 1975 by the Mustang II handle D4ZZ-17032-A. I believe there were some early jack handles that had a ratchet style wrench, as I remember My Dad's 66 Mustang having one.

As long as you have a canister that doesn't show any signs of leakage or damage I would use it. I believe you can buy the red paint for it and decals from NPD.

I would also look at Boss1Ray's post on jack ID's. Lots of good info!

I posted this "Mustang Jacks Identification Guide"  back about 2 years ago.

Please use the SEARCH options on this site.  There is much that has been researched and explained!

I think info at the link below will help you.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mustang-jacks-identification-guide?highlight=mustang+jack

Ray
Thanks for the link!  That should definitely help me to identify it exactly once I get it.

I actually did try to use the SEARCH option before I posted.  I guess I just didn't type in the right keywords because it didn't come up for my search of "jack" or "original jack".

I picked this up off Ebay and was wondering if it was correct for the year.  This came with the jack, wrench/handle, lock?, and the bottle which it said is still full.

The auction said the jack is stamped A8 AD and the handle is stamped 7AZ but not sure that means anything.

The jack, handle and the hold down look right. I do not know what the piece is above the canister. The canister that came in the car had a different label than the one in your picture and like someone said you can get a repo label and paint for the canister.

BTW the hook on the end of the wrench is to remove the hub caps with.

David

Back