Joey Lagano 1972 Mach 22 build??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES!  I saw this, too.   ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

The show is called "DRIVEN" on the Discovery channel.  The show will air next Monday evening - I can't wait!

I'd bet the "Mach 22" designation is because he drives the 22 car for Penske Motorsports.  It also looked like it could've had 22" wheels, but that's not as likely.  I can't be sure though since they threw the images at you so quickly in the 15 second preview.  I'm not so sure about the flat/matte black paint job, especially since it was a really nice Grabber Blue Mach 1 to begin with... but I'm keeping an open mind. (I'll have to check out jpaz's pics when I get home)

It's actually a pretty decent show - can be a little over-dramatic sometimes, but that's what you get when you make a show using non-actors (not nearly as bad as @ss Monkey Garage).  The first episode last week was them restoring a Pantera Carroll Shelby used to test some concepts while helping develop the Viper - they'd tossed around the idea of the Viper being a mid/rear engine set-up.  Last night's episode was finishing off an awesome '32 roadster pickup for the America's Most Beautiful Roadster trophy (they didn't win, but the car was gorgeous).

I'm pretty excited!

Even though I can't see the pics, I know which one you're talking about - the orange & yellow '71 vintage racer that looks like Logano's #22 Penske Shell NASCAR race car.

No, the one coming up on the show will be flat/matte black street car.  There aren't any pics out there yet.

at the end of this weeks episode of Driven on Discovery, they showed a preview for next week.  Joey L. has commissioned a rest-mod Mach 1.  from the commercial, it appeared to be a 71-73, but they only flashed the front end and I'm not entirely sure.  would be cool if it is. everyone does high dollar 69-70 builds.

at the end of this weeks episode of Driven on Discovery, they showed a preview for next week.  Joey L. has commissioned a rest-mod Mach 1.  from the commercial, it appeared to be a 71-73, but they only flashed the front end and I'm not entirely sure.  would be cool if it is. everyone does high dollar 69-70 builds.
Sorry Man - I merged your thread with another one already underway.   :cool:

I finally watched this week's Driven last night myself, and saw the preview at the end.  It starts out as a '72 Grabber Blue Mach 1 (nice one, at that) and within 15 seconds is a flat/matte black hot rod.  I can't wait to see it, either!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

IIRC, tonight at 10:00 on the Outdoor Channel there is a show with a 73 Coyote build given and marked the same. Could be one of the car channels? Trying to stay home I am all over the three channels...

I just watched it and it was pretty good. They didn’t really change anything about the look of the car, just drivetrain. 810 hp supercharged Coyote was cool! I would probably kill my self if I had the damn thing though, lol.

OK - so it looks like they changed the name of the show from 'Driven' to 'Car Kings.'  Either way, pretty cool show (a little more 'drama' than is needed, but that's what happens when you have wannabe TV stars, rather than regular car guys on film).

However... I couldn't even make it to the first set of commercials without pausing and yelling at the screen - my wife was laughing at me.  

First, the seller kept saying it was an untouched car - never been restored... blah, blah, blah.  Maybe the seller didn't know, and maybe he was B.S.ing the buyer - who knows.  My take was that it was a 'typical throw everything at it' refresh/restore that bugs the crap out of me.  Why?

• Originally it was a no stripe car (rocker side molding AND Boss 351 stripes... come on)
  • Spoilers (trunk spoiler was on backward - you just know they added those on)
  • 351 Ram Air stickers and TuTone hood blackout (yet it has no Ram Air assembly and no hood locks)
  • Rear exhaust cut-out valance and dual exhaust (but it was an H-Code which came with no factory dual exhaust)
  • Magnum 500s (you know that car came with 14" Corporate Dog Dishes)
  • Rear quarter panel damage
  • Improper repair on the Urethane bumper (bondo'd)

I'm not bugged about the price - they're only worth what the buyer's willing to pay, after all.  I think that $18K price was not all that bad, actually.

Then all the misinformation by these 'experts' was driving me up the wall!

• These cars are not gigantically proportioned compared to the previous models
  • 351C-2V came from the factory with 180hp
  • Welding in the roll bar would stiffen the chassis (WTF?!!  SFCs, yes - roll bar, not so much)
  • Way too many more little comments and whatnot I can think of off the top of my head... but Dang those guys are misinformed

Then they're bugged about the cowl rust.  Whiners!  It's an H-Code restomod - throw in a set of Dynacorn repop panels and call it good.  I didn't have those available when I did mine... geez.

Did anybody else yell at the TV when they were trying to stuff that Coyote in and it kept getting hung up on the cross-member and wedged into the shock towers?  Wow.  I thought those guys were supposed to be some of the best in the biz - I wonder how much they klooge/half-ass other cars they build.  Oil pan's facing the wrong way and the Coyote's too wide for even our shock towers, Bozos.

OK - so, having said all of that, there are some really cool things about it that I like:

• Wheels are sharp - nice choice!
  • The 'Murdered Out' look turned out better than I expected - I think I would've preferred gloss black, though
  • Dakota Digital gauges turned out awesome - I might have a tough choice ahead
  • "Mach 22" logo was a neat idea, and turned out OK.  The stripes... not so much (I wouldn't hire that guy to 'eyeball' anything for me - typical hack job on the stripes, and glad they didn't attempt the TuTone hood)
  • TCP suspension components - good choice!
  • Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes - good choice!
  • The custom grille turned out nice, but would've stuck with the factory Mach 1 grille and turned the sport lamps into driving lights

I have no idea what kind of exhaust they put on that thing, but it sounded like a beast.  Overall, I think it was a pretty well done car.

I liked the show and agree on the exposure being a good thing for '71-'73 Mustangs.  Unfortunately, I anticipate a slew of 'Mach 22 wannabes' looming on the horizon, as people tend to become copycats.  I just hope no rare, valuable, and/or collectible cars get cut-up in the process... I'd rather see them restored.  H-Codes and 302 cars, however - Go For It!

Thoughts?

Eric,

I haven't watched the show yet, planning on watching tonight. A couple corrections to the above statements.

A full roll cage installed properly, and tied into the front and rear sub frames as it should be, will and does significantly stiffen the chassis.

The Coyote engine will fit between the shock towers on our cars. I have seen at least two examples of this with out modification to the shock towers and one of them is a member on here. That being said there isn't much room left once it is in there but it does fit.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-2014-swap?page=5&highlight=coyote

see post #50

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

I haven't watched the show yet, planning on watching tonight. A couple corrections to the above statements.

A full roll cage installed properly, and tied into the front and rear sub frames as it should be, will and does significantly stiffen the chassis.

The Coyote engine will fit between the shock towers on our cars. I have seen at least two examples of this with out modification to the shock towers and one of them is a member on here. That being said there isn't much room left once it is in there but it does fit.

see post #50
Sorry in advance if I ruined anything for ya. ;)

Let me know what you think about the "roll bar" they install after you see it. ;)

To be honest, they didn't show a whole lot of the engine going in - just a couple of scenes, and it looked like they were having trouble, scratchin' their heads, and hung up on the cross-member and shock towers.  They also didn't indicate everything they had to do to get the engine into its final resting place (in all fairness).

Still, it's a good show and worth a look.

Cool!  Looks like the full episode is up to watch.   ::thumb::

Eric,

see post #50
Sorry in advance if I ruined anything for ya. ;)

Let me know what you think about the "roll bar" they install after you see it. ;)

To be honest, they didn't show a whole lot of the engine going in - just a couple of scenes, and it looked like they were having trouble, scratchin' their heads, and hung up on the cross-member and shock towers.  They also didn't indicate everything they had to do to get the engine into its final resting place (in all fairness).

Still, it's a good show and worth a look.
I would say the roll bar the way they installed would help stiffen the chassis of the car significantly considering they installed sub frame connectors then welded gussets from the roll cage plates under the car directly to the sub frame connectors. Just my opinion. While I agree the wanna be actors in these shows are a bit much I think you are being way to critical of the car and the work done. Also, I'm curious what your issue was with the stripes. He flat out said he wanted to eyeball as opposed to using the template because you can make them follow the body lines better. They were not going to accuracy as it came from the factory, they were going for what the guy writing the check expects. Frankly I think I could eyeball the stripes on one of these cars better than they did in the factory. Just my thoughts.

Back