Just saw the movie "Interstellar"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I loved it!

I like big Sci-Fi that leans more towards a realistic-themed portayal as opposed to the outright fantasy of some of them.

This one was very good. I really liked it.

There were a LOT of subtle homages to Kubrick's "2001", in story, editing style and some music cues. And particularly in the use of jarring total silence when any other movie would be blasting the audience with huge sound.

It is also somewhat reminiscent of "Contact", another of my favorites.

I think this will be a very polarizing movie...you will either love it and be completely immersed in the story and the "meassage", or you will find it boring and tedious.

I think I can now say it will take a place on my all-time favorites list.

Cool! Its refreshing to see a movie that emphasizes plot rather than relentless CGI explosions.

Who knows what "2001 Space Odyssey" is really about? Stanley Kubrick really has a way with telling a story that possesses several underlying themes that sometimes conflict. It forces the viewer to come to his/her own conclusion, and I believe that is why his movies are so popular: Each person views the movie from a different perspective.

Favourite Kubrick film:

Full Metal Jacket(PRIVATE PYLE!)/Clockwork Orange. Its a tie.

"2001" has generated never-ending speculation over the last 45 years with the single question: what was it really about?

There is no doubt that Kubrick was a master at sustaining suspense throughout a film, but "2001" is leaps ahead of his others.

There are scores of "experts" who have quite arbitrarily decided over the years just exactly what all the mind-bending imagery and story threads mean exactly. And they are all different. They all could be correct, but who really knows? Kubrick never stated what it all meant. And contrary to much of what has been written, Arthur C. Clarke did NOT write the story. He simply assisted Kubrick on the initial story, and he adapted an early draft for the tie-in novel.

Personally I tend to believe the story that the film was wildly overbudget, the ending had not been precisely decided on, and SFX guy Doug Trumbell just created hours of wierd-looking effects...everybody just hoping it would all coalesce into some kind of logical resolution.

But it didn't...it was just wierd. And I loved it!

But, I agree that "A Clockwork Orange" is a true unexpected masterpiece.

"And now...for a little bit of the old ultra-violence."

Last edited:
I am also a SCI FI nut, if only because I am also an ALIEN....and it's interesting to see humans imagining the way things are out there... :D

I think the opening scene in 2001 kinda lets the audience know what it's about. An ancient alien race which nurtures and helps "lower" life forms "grow" in their understanding of the "Universe" has erected the monoliths which trigger change in, and teach us..... The ending IS a bit strange but I think it is attempting to depict the possibility of "Humanity" reaching a stage in which we are like "children" of the older race and can grow in our own way and perhaps do the same... In this case taking over where the Ancients left off and Bowman, a Human becoming "godlike", can use his own knowledge of humanity and intuition of our needs to create a "new" future for us. A future with a lot more room to stretch our legs.....wait, wait...is that 2010 I'm thinking of now? :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing Interstellar.

I've read all the 2001 sequel books and where it all leads. 2001 is the most abstract and intellectual of the bunch, but sets up a good premise. Basically, the all the crazy effects at the end was Bowman and the Pod going into the monolith orbiting Jupiter, it wasn't a 'thing', but a stargate that links to other parts of the galaxy/universe. That's what the line "My God, it's full of stars." is a about. Along with some evolutionary jumpstarts for Bowman.

As if what happens to Bowman isn't weird enough, there is a couple of books that pickup with Frank Poole. Remember the astronaut who Bowman had to send spinning off into space? He was dead, but it wasn't the last of him.

Anyway, if you like the 'realistic' style, the have a look at "Moon".

moon was ok, kevin spacey as the computer saved that movie from being very very boring and a mundane twilight zone episode.

They spilled the beans way to fast in moon and i just felt boring, was still a decent sci fi movie.

Had a rare option this weekend and got to go to the movies while deployed. It was Interstellar or John Wick. Went with John Wick because reviews were mixed on Interstellar. A few from our group were still trying to wrap there head around Interstellar for while after watching it.

Good movie the body count may have been higher than the number of words Keanu Reeves spoke in the movie. They took his car and killed his dog............

"John Wick" got generally great reviews...much better than you would expect from an actioner, and especially one starring Keanu Reeves! I really want to see it too, and like you...it was a toss-up between that and "Interstellar".

The wife could'nt go, and she doesn't like sci-fi movies so I picked "Interstellar"...we'll go see "Wick" together later in the week.

I surprised my daughter and took her to see Interstellar after school today. In a word it was amazing. I think we have more questions than answers. She said she cried at least three times during the movie. When he watched the messages from his kids during the 23 years of time that had lapsed...that was very painful to watch. The robots were incredible, the way they moved and their personalities were great. I know the movie was really long, but when the screen went blank... I was saying... please don't be over... don't end like this... we will watch it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved it!

I like big Sci-Fi that leans more towards a realistic-themed portayal as opposed to the outright fantasy of some of them.

This one was very good. I really liked it.

There were a LOT of subtle homages to Kubrick's "2001", in story, editing style and some music cues. And particularly in the use of jarring total silence when any other movie would be blasting the audience with huge sound.

It is also somewhat reminiscent of "Contact", another of my favorites.

I think this will be a very polarizing movie...you will either love it and be completely immersed in the story and the "meassage", or you will find it boring and tedious.

I think I can now say it will take a place on my all-time favorites list.
I agree with Kit. I burned a half day vacation yesterday and took Amy. It was rainy so no worky on car. The story moved nicely with just enough plot twist to keep it going. While I didn't "love"it or hate it I found it engrossing and at time a bit mezmerizing (sic).