just woundering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
what is the better tranny....C6 or the FMX?? in 72 351C 4V

Well, Bill, in other venues it might take a fistfight to settle that question! :dodgy:

I just recently read a variety of info about the FMX (which I've got in the 'vert), the C4 and the C6. While others here with more knowledge and experience will chime in, here's the lowdown on what I learned: depending upon the application (strip, track, daily driver, weekend cruiser, etc.) all are good trannies. The FMX is good, and some swear BY it and others swear AT it because parts can be hard to come by and rebuilds can be expensive. The C4 is somewhat more "beefy" and some people find them easier to maintain because they are more common. The C6 was often found in trucks and other heavy duty applications, but they weigh significantly more than the FMX. Does that help much? Probably not, but to some degree, from my research, it's a little like asking what is the best color for a 73 Convertible? If I say "blue", am I wrong? :p:p (Easy, fellow 'vert owners, just making an analogy here. :) )

Others with more tranny knowledge will chime in shortly, I'm sure.

Doc

what is the best color for a 73 Convertible? If I say "blue", am I wrong?

Those are fighting words :p

Well, Bill, in other venues it might take a fistfight to settle that question! :dodgy:

I just recently read a variety of info about the FMX (which I've got in the 'vert), the C4 and the C6. While others here with more knowledge and experience will chime in, here's the lowdown on what I learned: depending upon the application (strip, track, daily driver, weekend cruiser, etc.) all are good trannies. The FMX is good, and some swear BY it and others swear AT it because parts can be hard to come by and rebuilds can be expensive. The C4 is somewhat more "beefy" and some people find them easier to maintain because they are more common. The C6 was often found in trucks and other heavy duty applications, but they weigh significantly more than the FMX. Does that help much? Probably not, but to some degree, from my research, it's a little like asking what is the best color for a 73 Convertible? If I say "blue", am I wrong? :p:p (Easy, fellow 'vert owners, just making an analogy here. :) )

Doc
LOL!!! love the reply!! The tranny is already redone and only cost $ 850 with a new converter. The bad part is the out side of the tranny looks just about as bad as when I took it to them, and it only took them 6 mons to rebuild it. I was just hoping after the fact I did a good thing with this unit!!

Ok, since we are now into colors, I am thinking I will paint mine white with black stripes and black top, I have brown inter.

white/black on brown? Well in the end it's your choice but I would stay towards the brown on brown or brandy on brown

Ken

or dare I say it.......yellow!
I had a 73 white Grande with the same inter from the factory and it looked good, but it was a hard top and did not have any black on it...??? I am still thinking what to paint it to stand out like the white/ black....

Doc
A couple of minor corrections.

Pecking order of relative duty rating in stock form highest to lowest:

C6

FMX

C4

FMX is about 20 or so pounds heavier than C6 due in large part to the cast iron case.

Parasitic loss highest to lowest

C6 55-60hp

FMX 28hp

C4 25hp

I am no tranny expert,but from my experience if you are going to use the the car as a driver a FMX is ok. If you are going to race the car I would go with a C4 or a C6.

JIm
+1

If the outside of the tranny looks bad,just get out the old elbo grease and some scrub brushes.A few cans of cast blast and dull aluminum paint and you should be good to go! Now s the time for detail work before you put it back in the car! I did an FMX in a vert that I had.After a bench clean and some glass beading of some of the alluminum ,bell housing etc...it looked great! Good luck !

the C6 and FMX have exactly the same internal gear ratios.

the fmx is iron the C6 alum.

my understanding is any 351-4V came with a C6 if ordered as an automatic.

the 2V i have seen all had FMX my car originally a 2V came with a FMX.

the FMX is much harder to get all the parts for. the C6 has a much better aftermarket following.

if sticking with a automatic i would go C6, you can't go wrong

Back