Keeping Mice out of your Mustang Idea's?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hello everyone,

I have a odd question for you all and I hope you can give me some ideas on my problem I'm having. First off I live out in the country and I'm having a mice problem with them little stinkers getting into my Mach 1. I have sticky traps in the car and have the rat bait poison bars in it and yet still have them getting into it. I pulled the back seat, front seats, center counsel to clean it up and get the nest out.. With winter coming I'm looking for some good idea to curve this little problem.. Then little stinkers sure can ruin a car fast.. please give me your ideas, Thank you in advance...

I've read that moth balls deter mice and rodents.

Cats! I have four that I'll provide; all you need to do is pay shipping! Can't say they'll catch anything, but they do like looking at 'em...

I have heard that scented dryer/fabric softner sheets deter squirrels etc. Not sure on Mice.

Get four cookie sheets that have a tall lip. Support the car with jack stands that are centered on the cookie sheets.  Add waste oil to the cookie sheets. Mice have a difficult time climbing the jack stands with oil on their paws. They will leave a trail along the floor and usually don"t last long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually working on a thread about this subject and have it saved, lol.

To hit the high points. As far as I know there is only a couple places that mice or rodents can get into the car unless you have the evil rust issue.

The cowl is the likely place. You have the plastic screens over the air intake but the holes are too big. Also Ford put a walkway and tunnel for them to enter through on each side of the cowl for the water to drain out of.

Get you one of the stainless steel scrubber pads and you can reach into the cowl opening and pack into the drain holes on each side. The get the steel wire mesh and make you the screens to attach to you cowl vents. The next time you have your heater out put the mesh wire on the top of the heater box to give another barrier. The rubber plugs in the drop off in the trunk fall out also giving an entry point.

I will try to finish the post tonight with all the details and links and pics.

Here is the pic of the drain holes I am referring to. The black is POR I had coated inside the cowl with.

I was in my Mach 1 once and a black snake fell out from under the dash and had came in through the cowl also I am sure. He was following the scent of the mice, lol.

Also in the country with the same issues so w ill be following this with interest. They seem to love the vertical back seat cushion. FWIW, I have tried:

- Cats. Have six of them. They leave muddy footprints on my white top. Mice leave droppings under it! Have left windows down to invite cats in. No use. Family intervention meetings doing no good...

- Drier sheets. Car smelled Spring fresh and fluffy soft. So did mice.

- Mothballs. repelled me. No word on mice.

- Plug-in ultrasonic unit in the garage. SEEMED to work for a while, but noticed that Mice were back into the rear seat cushion again at the beginning of this year. Thinking I'll put it at the end of an extension cord and INSIDE the car this year....

Let me know what works for sure!

BIll

-

I use dryers sheets throughout the interior and in trunk and under hood. I also use peppermint oil. Few drops on a cotton ball then wrap in aluminum foil and poke a few small holes in foil and place throughout your car. Been doing this for years and seems to work well.

You guys considered one of these?

A friend of mine had one (not from the url below), and no mice teeth could bite thru the plastic. too thick & smooth.

http://carcapsule.com
Fellow had a Model T in one of those (didn't catch the brand). Had a continuous blower fan that kept it inflated like those yard ornaments. Seemed to work for him.

Alright to do a follow up this is what I did, and the reason the mice moved in is partly my fault for not driving it more than I did last summer but it will not happen again... I went to our local Menards and bought a Pile of sticky traps, Poison bars, and 6 cans of insect foggers. I then proceeded to remove the back seats and the back trim panels and the front seats. I vacuumed out the entire car all the mouse turds and nest. cleaned it up. I reinstalled both front seats and kept the rear seat a panels out. I then opened all the sticky traps and put them everywhere I could, and in the middle of each sticky trap I put the poison bar in the middle and laid a bunch of lose ones around on the floor and front seat. I have the car out side the shop and I didn't want to do this next step in my shop because my 160 pound Saint Bernard lives in the shop and I didn't want to poison him. I put 4 of the foggers in the car and set them off and just let it set out for 3 days, after that I filled soda caps with peppermint extract and put the car back into the shop. I'm happy to report that this winter I have not seen anymore signs of mice in the car and it smells like a candy cane inside!!!! I will put the back seat and the rest of the panels back in when I get ready to drive it this summer and pull out all the sticky traps and poison... Winter sucks....

Back