Key gets stuck.... help with lockout collar in steering column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Ok, so my car was originally set up with auto trans and power steering. I kept the power steering and swapped in a 5 speed and disconnected the parking lockout linkage and changed to a grant steering wheel (replacing the oem wheel disabling the ignition lock out). Like some of the other members of this forum I also cut the linkage arm off the lockout collar (by the steering box) for a cleaner look, as I never plan to use that again. Now the lockout collar (the part the linkage was attached to that I cut off) in the steering column is floating around and when it gets bumped it will rotate locking my keys in the ignition. To fix, I have to go by the powering steering gearbox behind the rag joint and turn the lockout collar by hand to fix the jam in the steering linkage to get the key out...

Is there a way to stop this? Maybe take the steering wheel off and modify the collar somehow so it dosent lock my keys in the ignition or prevent my carfrom starting? I'd rather not remove the steering column if at all possible.

Thanks!

Thanks. I don't have a tilt wheel, not seeing the collar I front of the key that needs to be rotated. I cut off the lever flush down by the steering box pretty flush, not much to tie wire up. Is there a way to get in the steering column and disable this locking collar, maybe pull out the ignition lock cylinder out and work some magic with that?
Thanks for any input!

See pic below, this arrowed collar rotates with the lockout linkage. If you don't have anything to safety wire to, maybe remove the plastic shroud in front of the collar and see what you can do. Even something as simple as blob of RTV between the collar and the column housing tube will hold it in place.

1680372676609.png

Cool. So just turn that guy counterclockwise and my key comes out..... is there any other downside to just leaving it? Will it make my steering harder if locked or anything? I really don't mind turning that to get my key out time to time. It's the same as turning the lever on the bottom of the steering column by the steering box right?
Thanks!

It is a downside if you ever let somebody besides yourself drive your car. Its 1 less idiosyncrasy you have to explain to them.
I have mine tied in place under the hood with an old coat hanger so it never moves.

Back