Kickdown rod to C6 and 460 from Lincoln

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 460 engine, C6 automatic gearbox.
Hi!

I have a 460 with Holley 600 (12R-10554B) and a C6 tranny from a Lincoln in my '73 Mach 1. There is no kickdown rod and this is how I bought the car (lack of experience). Does anyone have any tips about what kickdown rod to use, if I should fabricate one or if I can use a generic C6 cable kit like the one from Lokar?

Also, I've never worked with carburators before and I don't have much experience with engines at all. Would another carb like a Holley 750 be better than the Holley 600 my car came with?

Best regards

Thomas

If the 600 Holley doesn't have the provision to accept the Ford kickdown rod and/or you do not have the original kickdown rod, then the Lokar cable setup is the easiest way to go.

As far as whether or not a larger carb would be better, it depends on what your definition of better happens to be. Would the car go faster in the quarter mile with a larger carb?...maybe. Would the throttle response and fuel mileage suffer as a result?...possibly.

If the engine is stock or near stock and is strictly street driven, and the 600 cfm carb you have on there now works well, you will probably not see much difference going with a 750 cfm carb. If that is not the case or you have future performance upgrades in mind then a carb upgrade maybe in order.

Thomas 1984,

Kind of reminds me of the old days when I was working at the ford dealership.

Some older couple came in and decided to trade in their 1971 LTD cause it smoked a lot , they only used the car to travel from Montana to Michigan where they would vacation.

Well I got that car for $100 back in about 1990 , put a transmission vacuum valve in the ole girl and smoke be gone.

429 2V and points.

found a 600 holley and a motocraft duraspark that I recurved, man that old car flew.

All I had to do to the kickdown was put a holley extender bracket on there and good to go.

If I had that combo today, you can bet that the drivetrain would be in my mustang.

Boilermaster

Back