Larger screws?

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hello Forum,

what are you guys doing if the hole for the screws are to big already, especially on the sheet metal where the seals for the doors are attached.

Do you using a bigger one or is there a trick you can make the to big one usable again.

Also for the the interior parts, where they are attached to the metal.

Thanks

mustbrad

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible slightly modified 351 Cleveland, White body Black roof, Ginger interior. magnum 500's
Tap the hole with a hammer to flatten out the hole to more of an original shape.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
On my 66, the screw hole for the sill plates (below the door) was wallowed out and the next larger screw would look out of place. I found a drywall plastic insert, stuck it in the sheet metal, and all was good after that! No one can see it, as it is covered by the sill plate.

imusa76

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
On my 66, the screw hole for the sill plates (below the door) was wallowed out and the next larger screw would look out of place. I found a drywall plastic insert, stuck it in the sheet metal, and all was good after that! No one can see it, as it is covered by the sill plate.
I like the Idea :)

droptop73

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Tack weld it and grind the "proud" down then re-drill.

Blueoval71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Tap the hole with a hammer to flatten out the hole to more of an original shape.
X10

This is really simple and works most of the time. Use a small flat punch or round bar stock and a hammer if you are concerned about whacking the surrounding area. Just give it a tap to flatten it out. The sheet metal is simply pulled outward or stretched from over tightening or repeated removal. I have to do this all the time especially with door sill plates.

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
X10

This is really simple and works most of the time. Use a small flat punch or round bar stock and a hammer if you are concerned about whacking the surrounding area. Just give it a tap to flatten it out. The sheet metal is simply pulled outward or stretched from over tightening or repeated removal. I have to do this all the time especially with door sill plates.
I've used this method too. I have a brass drift that works well. Hopefully this will work for you.