Larger screws?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hello Forum,

what are you guys doing if the hole for the screws are to big already, especially on the sheet metal where the seals for the doors are attached.

Do you using a bigger one or is there a trick you can make the to big one usable again.

Also for the the interior parts, where they are attached to the metal.

Thanks

On my 66, the screw hole for the sill plates (below the door) was wallowed out and the next larger screw would look out of place. I found a drywall plastic insert, stuck it in the sheet metal, and all was good after that! No one can see it, as it is covered by the sill plate.

On my 66, the screw hole for the sill plates (below the door) was wallowed out and the next larger screw would look out of place. I found a drywall plastic insert, stuck it in the sheet metal, and all was good after that! No one can see it, as it is covered by the sill plate.
I like the Idea :)

Tap the hole with a hammer to flatten out the hole to more of an original shape.
X10

This is really simple and works most of the time. Use a small flat punch or round bar stock and a hammer if you are concerned about whacking the surrounding area. Just give it a tap to flatten it out. The sheet metal is simply pulled outward or stretched from over tightening or repeated removal. I have to do this all the time especially with door sill plates.

Tap the hole with a hammer to flatten out the hole to more of an original shape.
X10

This is really simple and works most of the time. Use a small flat punch or round bar stock and a hammer if you are concerned about whacking the surrounding area. Just give it a tap to flatten it out. The sheet metal is simply pulled outward or stretched from over tightening or repeated removal. I have to do this all the time especially with door sill plates.
I've used this method too. I have a brass drift that works well. Hopefully this will work for you.

Back