Last drive of the year?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 351 4V 4-speed convert
I had my car off the road for a while installing some new parts and a repro stereo. It was Thanksgiving here so I finally got a chance to drive it a bit again yesterday but I think by the feel of the temperature and the weather during the rest of the weekend it is pretty much time put it away for the winter. :(

DSCF9045.JPG

DSCF9047.JPG

I've got three more parades to do (Vienna this month, and Silver Spring and Reston in November). I may do a Christmas parade if the weather is tolerable.

Nice looking ride!

Heck here in AZ the weather is just turning nice! I drove the mustang the last two days (and spent way too much on gas doing it... but what a load of FUN!)

Same thing here, I feel with you.

I'm gonna take her for a last spin today, as the weather is nice, but cold. So probably no top down. When we get back from our vacation, it will soon be winter, salty roads, all the nasty stuff. Geez, I hate that.

Maybe I will get a few nice days in November, it's happened before, but I won't hold my breath.

Last weekend filled the tank, added stabilizer, disconnected the battery and put the heavy duty cover over the car. I need to pull the rear axles to check the bearings, but the vert is in the garage until the spring.

I think this is the best time of year to cruise ! :) The weather is cool here, in the 60's pretty much daily now. The cars run better in the cooler weather. I can usually go until some time in November. Once the first salt goes on the roads, thats when I put mine away for the year:D

two years ago I decide to drive mine to Memphis for the Thanksgiving holidays. It rained, and then it iced. My heat didn't work due to an ac install issue (I failed to pull the plugs from the new heater core . . . ) oops and water leaked through the driver side fresh air vent onto my left foot as I drove-ice cold water. Drove to a friend's warehouse that happens to have a lift they don't use often, fixed the heater problem, covered the cowl vents and then drove it to my "holiday residence". Weather cleared up and I drove to hear a band in Arkansas about 2 hours away the next night, and then drove it home in more rain.

I will note the following

Summer tires on a car that doesn't get good traction in dry, hot weather perform exceedingly poorly during the first snow icing of the season, especially here in the south where driving in snow is less of an art form than it is a scientific impossibility. Still I got lucky in that they did not expect the weather change to be so severe and they didn't salt! Mine will get driven through the winter on nice days, but it is going to be fewer and fewer miles for a while.

Took mine out this last weekend for a little foliage cruise and some train chasing (one of my my other hobbies). Probably the last top-down cruise, but I do try to drive it on a regular basis until the salt hits the road, then it's away for the winter....

And no, that's not me standing by the car!

343gs3t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Fall but this thread is somewhat depressing. I guess that makes it more special when Spring comes though.

I have to say living in the southwest US putting a car away for the winter is a very strange concept for me that I just cannot seem to wrap my head around,lol

Really like those slotted wheels.

Do what I am going to do. Add seat heaters. Wear heated gloves or use those warm packs from Walmart, 3 for $1.

Don't know why you guys tolerate the cold. God invented the direction south for a reason.

Fact: Every passenger on the Mayflower survived the trip across the Atlantic. 1/2 died the first winter.

I have to say living in the southwest US putting a car away for the winter is a very strange concept for me that I just cannot seem to wrap my head around,lol
That's why I moved from Connecticut to San Diego. It has been spring summer fall for the past 23 years.:cool:

the season is pretty much over here too in austria.

abudi

Back