layout of nasa hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
I read the post from Carolina mountain mustangs and was very helpful on measurements. I have a friend that does pinstriping and custom paints. not whole cars. and was thinking of taking hood to him to paint. but I know I've seen the measurements layout but can't find now... anyone know of the whereabouts ?? tks 

One thing that is missing is the radius to use in corners and transitions. Would need to do a rub off to get them correct. Can do if you want. Also can get you caliper measurements of the width of outside stripe and space to center black.
Hi David

I've been studying threads to make my hood stencil correct. I hear many comments from forum members when they see one that isnt correct.

I would like to get mine paint as  close as possible so......... any stencil/rub off would be greatly appreciated by me.

Thank you

Rod

Here is a post from 7173vert of his original 71 hood

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
‘This is what I went by, along with the measurements from David and other info too. Was a good thing I did cause my painter was going by that stupid Mustang monthly article. I know you said you read a bunch of stuff but just in case you didn’t see this thread

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-incorrect-ram-air-hood-paint

Here’s a couple pics of my hood, it turned out pretty nice.

‘This is what I went by, along with the measurements from David and other info too. Was a good thing I did cause my painter was going by that stupid Mustang monthly article. 
 John, do you mean this one? I believe this is the MM one published. I honestly don't know where I got this copy, so it may be on the forum somewhere.

Scan0001.pdf

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    462.2 KB · Views: 14
‘This is what I went by, along with the measurements from David and other info too. Was a good thing I did cause my painter was going by that stupid Mustang monthly article. 
 John, do you mean this one? I believe this is the MM one published. I honestly don't know where I got this copy, so it may be on the forum somewhere.
I don’t see anything Geoff, this but any article that they published about the blackout is wrong. And as far as I know they never corrected their mistake. It misleads people to this day, which I know you know. Not many shops around that know our year cars very well, if at all.

I don’t see anything Geoff, this but any article that they published about the blackout is wrong. And as far as I know they never corrected their mistake. It misleads people to this day, which I know you know. Not many shops around that know our year cars very well, if at all.
 That's strange, it is there when I clicked on the link. Maybe try it again. There have been 6 downloads so far.

That's strange, it is there when I clicked on the link. Maybe try it again. There have been 6 downloads so far.
I see it. So yes this is the article that has screwed up countless hoods. But also I have seen a lot of the patterns that were freehanded I guess and most of those are even worse. I know we’ve said this before but it is absolutely amazing how many hoods are just the completely wrong pattern.

I see it. So yes this is the article that has screwed up countless hoods. But also I have seen a lot of the patterns that were freehanded I guess and most of those are even worse. I know we’ve said this before but it is absolutely amazing how many hoods are just the completely wrong pattern.
 Ok good you found it. I thought that was the one from MM, just not sure. Actually, the side dimensions would not be too bad, but it's the front portion that so many get wrong. The layout pattern I got from Graphics Express may or may not be a copy of the MM sketch, but it suggests 6" all the way down the long sides from the hood edge. However, as I've said before, he used that only as a guide and taped it off. It was me that told him 2" from the front of the hood forgetting the trim piece was not yet on the car, so I can't blame him for that screw-up.

I'm actually thinking of talking to my painter about redoing mine, but I worry about getting the Light Pewter metallic to match. It will look far worse if the paint is off.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Ok good you found it. I thought that was the one from MM, just not sure. Actually, the side dimensions would not be too bad, but it's the front portion that so many get wrong. The layout pattern I got from Graphics Express may or may not be a copy of the MM sketch, but it suggests 6" all the way down the long sides from the hood edge. However, as I've said before, he used that only as a guide and taped it off. It was me that told him 2" from the front of the hood forgetting the trim piece was not yet on the car, so I can't blame him for that screw-up.

I'm actually thinking of talking to my painter about redoing mine, but I worry about getting the Light Pewter metallic to match. It will look far worse if the paint is off.
That’s the one from mm

That’s the one from mm
 Thanks for confirming.

Back