Leaf spring replace: DIY or shop?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this write up on leaf springs for ponies.  From my research it looks like the KY Mustang springs, Scott Drake springs and, I suspect, many others, are made in India.   Looking at the different springs including General which say made in the USA only Eaton shows theirs being made of 5160 steel.  The others have no mention of what theirs are made of.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/leaf-springs-what-you-should-know.940633/

Found this write up on leaf springs for ponies.  From my research it looks like the KY Mustang springs, Scott Drake springs and, I suspect, many others, are made in India.   Looking at the different springs including General which say made in the USA only Eaton shows theirs being made of 5160 steel.  The others have no mention of what theirs are made of.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/leaf-springs-what-you-should-know.940633/
Well, I guess that says it all. That's some good information. Thanks for finding that and posting it.

As a former machinist, I am aware of most of those "other" steels mentioned. 4140 for example is generally known as "Pre-Treat" meaning it is semi-hardened but still soft enough it can be machined. NOT a good choice for a spring.

Again doing your due diligence will pay off, but your choice in the end.

Interesting and informative info. Eaton priced me a set of Improved handling leafs that will lower the rear approximately 1” for $429.99 set. I would pro drive there and take a mini vacation since it relatively close. Maier leafs with shipping puts me about 720.00 to the door. So those two are comparatively priced. Does anyone know or have used Street or Tracks leafs? Prices are about 320.00 a set. 

Interesting and informative info. Eaton priced me a set of Improved handling leafs that will lower the rear approximately 1” for $429.99 set. I would pro drive there and take a mini vacation since it relatively close. Maier leafs with shipping puts me about 720.00 to the door. So those two are comparatively priced. Does anyone know or have used Street or Tracks leafs? Prices are about 320.00 a set. 
I guess I was lucky to buy the springs from Mustang Depot when they were around in 2018. I took advantage of a Black Friday 10% offer and ended up paying $650 including a pair of Bilstein Shocks.

Back