Leaf spring Torque

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mach1

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code
So I’m replacing leaf springs (Eaton) on my 71 Mach1 (opposing shocks with swaybar) and wondering if anyone could tell me the torque specs for the shackles and front eyebolt. Eaton gives it for the u-bolts only.

tia, john 

So I’m replacing leaf springs (Eaton) on my 71 Mach1 (opposing shocks with swaybar) and wondering if anyone could tell me the torque specs for the shackles and front eyebolt. Eaton gives it for the u-bolts only.

tia, john 
 You are right, there is only a spec for the U bolts. I did not torque mine, just made sure they were good 'n' tight. If you have not seen the Eaton videos posted on this, check them out here.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/36373-an-interesting-and-informative-video-from-eaton-detroit-springs/?do=getNewComment

Thanks for the reply. Kinda what I was thinking, good n tight… but not too tight. 

For the front eye bolt, the spec says 100-140 ft lbs, and a mean torque of 120 ft lbs.  For the rear shackles, the chassis assembly manual says 14-22 ft lbs, with a mean torque of 18 ft lbs.  For the U-bolts, the manual says 30-45 ft lbs with a mean of 37.5 ft lbs.  I did double check, and those are the numbers in the Chassis Assembly Manual.  I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ron!

may have to ease off the shackles 😬

For the front eye bolt, the spec says 100-140 ft lbs, and a mean torque of 120 ft lbs.  For the rear shackles, the chassis assembly manual says 14-22 ft lbs, with a mean torque of 18 ft lbs.  For the U-bolts, the manual says 30-45 ft lbs with a mean of 37.5 ft lbs.  I did double check, and those are the numbers in the Chassis Assembly Manual.  I hope that helps.
 Well, I stand corrected, I must have missed those specs for eye bolt and shackles. Oh well good 'n' tight worked for me!.

Back