LED Headlights?

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
I'm buying Hella glass 7" head lamps part#002395991. They diffuse/reflect the light better than those you listed. I'm then buying the H7 plug Cree LEDs. The same type that "Mustang Project" uses but at a lower price.

I have an OEM look alternator with a 140 amp output. Plenty for all the electrical accessories the car currently has. I am installing an EFI unit and high amperage draw electric fuel pump. Instead of replacing the alternator with a higher amperage one I decided to cut the total amperage draw by going LED with as close to possible OEM look.

I like the OEM look but with modern technology and better performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

will e

VIP Members
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
On the Jeep I could do it. On the mustang, for me, it has to look more period correct. It adds to the 'sleeper' look I try to maintain.

vozaday

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 351C C6
I'm running the JW Speaker Evolution headlights. Really like them. It adds a bit of a different look, but the light output is well worth it.

MustangProfessionalFront.jpg

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang base coupe, 302, ps.c4,a/c,p/b
I'm buying Hella glass 7" head lamps part#002395991. They diffuse/reflect the light better than those you listed. I'm then buying the H7 plug Cree LEDs. The same type that "Mustang Project" uses but at a lower price.

I have an OEM look alternator with a 140 amp output. Plenty for all the electrical accessories the car currently has. I am installing an EFI unit and high amperage draw electric fuel pump. Instead of replacing the alternator with a higher amperage one I decided to cut the total amperage draw by going LED with as close to possible OEM look.

Are the Hella's plug & play? Will they work with original wiring and switching?

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
I'm running the JW Speaker Evolution headlights. Really like them. It adds a bit of a different look, but the light output is well worth it.
I like that look on the 71.::thumb:: After I get the lights installed and working I may have to get a black background lamp and see how they look in the 73 bucket.

will e

VIP Members
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. It works really well with your combo.

vozaday

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 351C C6
I like that look on the 71.::thumb:: After I get the lights installed and working I may have to get a black background lamp and see how they look in the 73 bucket.
I had to paint the retaining ring black or the chrome was visible. I imagine you could get them painted black or if you are undecided then some plastidip with a clear coat. That way you can easily remove it, but with the clear coat it will last a couple years before it starts to fade.

That looks a lot better than I thought it would. It works really well with your combo.
Thanks, I actually like how the headlights look hidden if the sun isn't directly on them.

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
I had to paint the retaining ring black or the chrome was visible. I imagine you could get them painted black or if you are undecided then some plastidip with a clear coat. That way you can easily remove it, but with the clear coat it will last a couple years before it starts to fade.
Something to think about - mine were the complete bright bucket originally. I had planned on painting the bucket black and leaving the rim shiny - mach 1. But, we could just pull the trigger and order the lamps and paint the complete bucket black.:chin:. Thanks!

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
I'm thinking you will need to incorporate relays into the switching circuit so the H4 lamps are lit with direct battery feed. Vintage mustang headlight switches are not designed to handle very much load.

Maybe Midlife can offer more definitive advice.

73pony

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
+1. I have my standard headlights wired through relays.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
I'm thinking you will need to incorporate relays into the switching circuit so the H4 lamps are lit with direct battery feed. Vintage mustang headlight switches are not designed to handle very much load.

Maybe Midlife can offer more definitive advice.
I have to concur: relays are the way to go with any Halogen lamps.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback

Not plug and play. You'll need a Painless adapter harness or an American Autowire harness adapter. Both should come with all the necessary relays.

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
Not plug and play. You'll need a Painless adapter harness or an American Autowire harness adapter. Both should come with all the necessary relays.
Everyone, thanks for the information. :thankyouyellow: