LED Headlights?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm buying Hella glass 7" head lamps part#002395991. They diffuse/reflect the light better than those you listed. I'm then buying the H7 plug Cree LEDs. The same type that "Mustang Project" uses but at a lower price.

I have an OEM look alternator with a 140 amp output. Plenty for all the electrical accessories the car currently has. I am installing an EFI unit and high amperage draw electric fuel pump. Instead of replacing the alternator with a higher amperage one I decided to cut the total amperage draw by going LED with as close to possible OEM look.

I like the OEM look but with modern technology and better performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm buying Hella glass 7" head lamps part#002395991. They diffuse/reflect the light better than those you listed. I'm then buying the H7 plug Cree LEDs. The same type that "Mustang Project" uses but at a lower price.

I have an OEM look alternator with a 140 amp output. Plenty for all the electrical accessories the car currently has. I am installing an EFI unit and high amperage draw electric fuel pump. Instead of replacing the alternator with a higher amperage one I decided to cut the total amperage draw by going LED with as close to possible OEM look.

Are the Hella's plug & play? Will they work with original wiring and switching?

I'm running the JW Speaker Evolution headlights. Really like them. It adds a bit of a different look, but the light output is well worth it.
I like that look on the 71.::thumb:: After I get the lights installed and working I may have to get a black background lamp and see how they look in the 73 bucket.

I'm running the JW Speaker Evolution headlights. Really like them. It adds a bit of a different look, but the light output is well worth it.
I like that look on the 71.::thumb:: After I get the lights installed and working I may have to get a black background lamp and see how they look in the 73 bucket.
I had to paint the retaining ring black or the chrome was visible. I imagine you could get them painted black or if you are undecided then some plastidip with a clear coat. That way you can easily remove it, but with the clear coat it will last a couple years before it starts to fade.

That looks a lot better than I thought it would. It works really well with your combo.
Thanks, I actually like how the headlights look hidden if the sun isn't directly on them.

I had to paint the retaining ring black or the chrome was visible. I imagine you could get them painted black or if you are undecided then some plastidip with a clear coat. That way you can easily remove it, but with the clear coat it will last a couple years before it starts to fade.
Something to think about - mine were the complete bright bucket originally. I had planned on painting the bucket black and leaving the rim shiny - mach 1. But, we could just pull the trigger and order the lamps and paint the complete bucket black.:chin:. Thanks!

I'm thinking you will need to incorporate relays into the switching circuit so the H4 lamps are lit with direct battery feed. Vintage mustang headlight switches are not designed to handle very much load.

Maybe Midlife can offer more definitive advice.

I'm thinking you will need to incorporate relays into the switching circuit so the H4 lamps are lit with direct battery feed. Vintage mustang headlight switches are not designed to handle very much load.

Maybe Midlife can offer more definitive advice.
I have to concur: relays are the way to go with any Halogen lamps.

Not plug and play. You'll need a Painless adapter harness or an American Autowire harness adapter. Both should come with all the necessary relays.

Not plug and play. You'll need a Painless adapter harness or an American Autowire harness adapter. Both should come with all the necessary relays.
Everyone, thanks for the information. :thankyouyellow:

Back