LED light install gone wrong

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falice313

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Convertible
Hi! I purchased and installed the LED lights in the instrument cluster of my '71 Mustang convertible. The display (backlights) lights and high beam light are all working fine, however the turn signals, alternator, brake, oil pressure, and temperature...none work. Any idea on what the problem could be? Thank you for any suggestions...I did take the lights out and turn them around since I know they are polarity sensitive.
Stumped

Did you discover this bench testing or when installed in the dash? If they worked on the bench and not in the dash, it could be the plug in connector(s) to the printed flexible circuit board behind the dash isn't making proper contact.

You said Alternator bulb? This MUST remain an incandescent bulb if you have idiot lights. Polarity is very important as jscott says as well as the contacts to the ribbon as Doug said.
One set of cheap bulbs I bought (the first time I did mine) I found the turn signals only worked with incandescent 194 bulbs. Then I bought HiPo Parts Elite series II and what a difference.

Last edited:
Did you discover this bench testing or when installed in the dash? If they worked on the bench and not in the dash, it could be the plug in connector(s) to the printed flexible circuit board behind the dash isn't making proper contact.
I didn't bench test but the turn signals and other lights worked prior to install. I'll reset and try again

Good post and replies. I am about to do same on my 71. A lot of good knowledge here.
If you chose to go with HiPo Parts LED's, rather than just going off Bill's website, contact him directly and discuss your needs. Bill helped me with ALL my LED/SMD lights with the exception of the headlights, which he does not carry. He did however help me with the relays used for the headlights.
HiPo Parts is located in Gaylord Mi.

Back