LED Lighting upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
If its not obvious to you, and you dont buy a kit with good instructions, when you upgrade dash lights to any LED you NOW have to observe polarity. A incandescent can go in either way. But a LED is a diode, and like a check valve is to fluid, current can only flow 1 way! So theres a plus and - now. The small sockets that hold your bulbs are not keyed, then can go in 1 of 2 ways, 180 degrees apart. You wont hurt anything putting it in backwards, but it wont light. So you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. See pix below. I tested all of mine, in their sockets, with a bench 12V supply. You can use a old battery or cig lighter plug adapter, trickle charger or whatever. I took Sharpie and marked a DOT on the plus side when they lit up. IF they dont light, reverse the leads and it will. Then mark your plus. Someone else was kind of enough to post the pic below of back of cluster with little + signs for me so here it is again. Make your + dots on your bulbs line up with + copper traces shown in that picture.

LED_LIGHTTEST.JPG

1973ClusterCircuitboard.jpg

Back