LED TAIL LIGHTS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have just acquired a 1971 Mach 1 and setting out on a restomod to make this vehicle something different and special.
This forum is my choice as 71-73 models are not popular in Australia and information is difficult to find.
My VIN: 1F05M218422
It will be along the lines of one in Japan.
(http://www.speedhunters.com/author/2281434115/)
Hi Guys,

I have just had a very good experience with Classicleds.com. today.

I was chasing the LED boards through C J Pony Parts but they were out of stock or

were on pre order.

I did a bit more research and found them directly as I wanted a particular problem solved

with my project in Australia.

As I was building a Restomod, I wanted the LED tail lights with an amber turn signal which

is the law in Australia - an original vehicle can still be registered here with flashing red indicators

but I of course wanted to be different.

Larry from Classicleds has kindly built two boards for my 71 Mach 1 with amber leds in the indicators,

I have refabricated the lens in clear so I will have something very different.

The Australian guys will appreciate what I have managed to achieve as our Rules are quite different

down here - I know that the Feds here will notice the vehicle so I will comply with lastest regs rather

than vintage.

I was very impressed with Larry's help and assistance I thought I would let everyone know - emails to

other suppliers were unproductive but the lesson for today is 'never give up!

For 71-73 an LED upgrade, in my opinion is a very sensible option if you are a little bit flexible!

Regards,

Melfunctions

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your feedback, and sharing. A few questions if i may.

I went to the official website to do some background investigations, but found the info on '71-'73's  limited. I saw the installation PDF, which was well written and detailed.

http://www.northwestmustang.com/products71-73.html

They appear not to have any videos or pricings of the products for the public to see. So, did you buy a sequential or a non sequential version of the lights?  Also, what flashing patterns are offered up for the turn signal operations? Is there any demo video to see their lights in operation? In your case, you got into an amber turn signal setup - could you be more descriptive about that please? Any photos or videos of your setup would be great to see, and help explain what your finished product looks like. How did you achieve the clear lens look? If it's not too rude a question, could you tell us what sort of money you paid for your system please?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Many thanks,

Greg. :)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply and questions.

They are the same lights listed on C J Pony parts but they were out of stock fortunately so I did some research and came across Larry who was really fantastic.

As I had just bought my 71 Mach 1 I joined up to find out as much information as I could in order to start the regeneration of a car I loved in the early days.

Currently, I am amassing parts from various suppliers to make the next Container back to Australia - I have a contact who brings in almost a Container of cars

or parts every 7-8 weeks - it is so handy being able to ship parts to California and have them consolidated into a load for delivery into Sydney.

The lights which Larry has sent to CAL have been delivered and really consist of Amber LED's in the indicator section - I opted for the basic set up (Non sequential)

as I did not want hassles with the police if pulled over.

I have had the existing lens laser cut slightly inside the inner border that will allow an edge to insert the clear lens within the frame - I tried to source amber material but too hard,

clear was easy to find and the amber LED's will solve the problem.

The cost was USD$180 which I was happy with as I am trying to create a restomod that will be compliant but something special - I was inspired by the Mach 1 in

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/12/resurrecting-a-mach-1-mustang/ and found this car through a friend - RH Conversion done, no rust,new panels fitted - a driver so I can

move it around etc etc. for $7000 - I couldn't pay for it quick enough!

As soon as I have the lights fitted, I will send you photographs - the contact details for the light panels is [email protected] the contact person is Larry, I am currently trying

to find him a set of GTR Skyline R32 lights as these guys go nuts over leds, my son in law has one and wants the conversion.

I would like to keep in touch as our Australian members have different issues and I am sure we can assist each other through the Forum.

Regards,

Mel 0419 044550

i

I installed my LED's last week. Snapped a photo once I had the driver's side completed to show the difference from the stock bulbs even during daylight. BIG difference. I ordered mine last fall from CJ and didn't get around to installing until warmer weather. Mine are the non-sequential version.

Mrsandman23

I installed my LED's last week.  Snapped a photo once I had the driver's side completed to show the difference from the stock bulbs even during daylight.  BIG difference.  I ordered mine last fall from CJ and didn't get around to installing until warmer weather.  Mine are the non-sequential version.

Mrsandman23

Thanks for your photo and comments, they certainly look good and as with most

photographs they would look far better live!

Mine are still on the water to Australia but when installed, I will post a photograph for

other Australian & British Members to see the amber LED indicators.

I am also installing the new headlights with the halo and indicators built in - trying to

create something a little different with modern touches.

Regards,

MEL

Back