lever for auto transmission on steering column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
Is there a way to remove the lever on the steering column that goes to the FMX transmission intact? If not, I will probably cut it off, but if so, I will leave it there until we work up the energy to pull the column and rebuild it. Someone might be able to use the part. Thanks!

By the way, I am really appreciating this forum. Lots of help and no condescension despite my lack of knowledge on Ford stuff.

I wasn't aware any Mustang had the lever on the column. If you're going to go to floor shift and then rebuild the column anyway, I'd just find a correct column that is already set up for floor shift.

Is there a way to remove the lever on the steering column that goes to the FMX transmission intact? If not, I will probably cut it off, but if so, I will leave it there until we work up the energy to pull the column and rebuild it. Someone might be able to use the part. Thanks!

By the way, I am really appreciating this forum. Lots of help and no condescension despite my lack of knowledge on Ford stuff.

No Mustang built to date has ever been made with a column shift. That lever is the column lock mechanism that started in 1970. It required you to place the trans in park, or reverse on a manual, in order to remove the key.

There's really no need to remove it or cut it off, as it's not in the way of anything. Be sure you secure it in the up position, or you can't turn the key to the LOCK position.

Thanks!. Hemikiller, you are correct, it was not for a column shift, the car has a floor shift. I presumed it had to do with the lock, thanks for the tip on securing it to enable the lock!

Back