Light for heater control panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
As I flail about, I discoverer a hole on the back of the heater control panel which is covered on the front with one of the blue dome lenses. When I shine a light through it, it lights up the controls pleasingly. This makes me think there should have been a light there, but I find no evidence whatsoever there ever was. The car is an early 72 base convertible. Was this cost saving measure and only the flashier cars got the light or should there have been one there? Would there be wires for one in there someplace? The oddity is the is doesn't have the slots cut for the bayonet mount, but I am pretty sure I could get one of the Hipo rubber ones to go in and Bless them for selling those and the kind soul who posted about them.

Thanks in advance!

Me thinks you are right....there should be a light bulb and socket that goes into the back of the heater control.
I couldn’t see them not putting one in, for any reason.
It seems to me that somewhere along the way, a prior owner modified/removed the light bulb.

I replaced this bulb with an LED from bill at hi-pro last summer.
As the second owner of a ‘72 since 1972-73 i know my wiring is original. However, i don’t recall exactly the other items joining this light (other than it is dimable along with all other dash lights).

hope this helps

Thanks RD-72 and Hemikiller. I already ordered a socket from and LED from Hipo and was planning to build a harness, but having an original harness for it might be smarter. Any idea of how to identify where it plugs in? There is what appears to be an unused connector in that area. So much stuff is disconnected at the moment, no way to test it. On the other hand, that part of the dash has to go back in before I can put the heater control back in that I could probably wait to test it. I really wish I could read the wiring diagrams better.

Anyone know what the red connector is called? I was going to look for one to put on the after market radio that is in the car. The installer used a splice and I don't like how they did it. The connector looks like a bullet SAE connector, but I have run into other connectors that look just like it, but the pins were sized wrong. Thanks!

Back