Like / dislike of 71-73 Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What won me over (I used to not like 71-73 also) was driving by a beautiful 73 Mach 1 for over 18 years, and admiring it from afar. Then one fateful evening, almost 4 years ago, Lynda (wife) got a phone call from a friend who had a neighbor who needed help selling his "older Mustang." "Not the orange one we see from Calkins Road all the time, is it," she asked. Yep, the very same one. I called the owner immediately, and asked if we could come over and see it. Despite my log held dislike of the 71-73 models in general we opted to purchase the Mach 1. I then began to work on it and came to realize how similar they were/are to the 70 and prior models. The more I worked on it, and drove it, the more I came t admire and really like the Big Nose Mustangs. The 1969 & 1970 model years are still my favorite, but now the 71-73 models are just a half step behind them, as opposed to being looked down upon with an assumption that they are bloated and unable to perform well. So many years wasted. But, now we have two Big Nose Mustangs. The 73 Mach 1 (deeply restored) and a 73 Convertible True Survivor with just under 21,000 original miles on it after being barn stored for 45 years.

We have done some upgrade work on both, but the Mach 1 especially. By the time we got it the prior owner had replaced the 4 wheel drum brake system with a 73 Power Front Disc Brake system from a wrecked 73 Mustang, swapped the 2.79:1 rear axle gears with a 3.5:1 TractionLok gear set, and replaced the original 302 2v engine with a street/strip built 351W (not C) that has a modest 360 HP at the crankshaft. We swapped its original C4 tranny with an AOD, which really lit up its comfort at highway speeds while opening up its top end speed with all that power from the built engine.

Both 73 Mustangs now have a 3 row aluminum Champion radiator with dual electric cooling fans, which work really well. We also added full length ACP center consoles, and replaced the ash tray with fabricated Power Panels that provide two 12 volts outlet sockets, and a dual USB outlet port. We also added a Garmin Drive 52 GPS display with the optional wireless backup camera, Dakota VHX analog instrument panels, DashCams, upgraded the alternators to handle all the newly added electrical components, and installed VintageLEDs.com LED taillight panels. They are both a blast to drive.

So, yeah, now I am a True Believer. And, like it ro not, it seems the First Generation Mustang admirers are beginning to take notice of how nice the 71-73 Mustangs are. Good news is the values are going up. Bad news comes as the values rise, as so does the price of entry for new enthusiasts. Also, the price of properly insuring these cars is also going up.

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
Yeah, I agree on Boy George...

When I had my first Mustang, the 73 Grande, Devo and the Vapors were a major part of my listening...still are.

The major 'like/dislike' of that 73 was the avocado interior. I liked it, but everyone else disliked it!

I'm currently stuck in an '80s rut myself. I have 32GB thumb drives for all of my cars with [almost] all my favorite tunes on them. I broke out each decade and genre into their own folders, and I cracked open the '80s folder last week when the guys from work and I went to lunch - blew their minds with some Cyndi Lauper, Poison, and Eddie Grant (Electric Avenue). It's cool to get second looks from all the junior military trainees on the troopwalk when I'm rolling by with "I Wanna be a Cowboy" blasting away. Of course, tomorrow you might hear Linkin Park, Van Halen, Depeche Mode, Collective Soul, Vangelis, the 1812 Overture, or maybe even 'Las Suerte de los Tontos' from the Blue Devils Drum & Bugle Corps. SO glad I don't have to carry around all those cassettes anymore. LOL!

Actually, the '69 Fastback is one of the most recognizable and iconic model years of them all. That's what I always think about when I think 'Classic Mustang.' John Wick certainly didn't hurt in that department, but I hate how now everybody absolutely must have a '67-'68 GT-500 'Eleanor' thanks to the Gone In 60 Seconds remake - I almost need to vomit every time I see that car any more.

I think our year models kind of stand-out on their own, and there's plenty of love from average people - it seems like it's the Vintage Mustang fans that have the issues. I know I can't even stop at a convenience store without someone popping over, wanting to check it out and talk about how 'one of his buddies had one back in high school.'

Vangelis!....666, Bladerunner....and The Friends of Mister Cairo (with Jon Anderson of YES).

As if the 69 needed John Wick to raise its profile these days. Speaking of Keanu, when I went to see Point Break at the theater I started laughing at one shot of his Mustang. He had the same bothersome dangling power steering hose I had on my 70.

I always disliked the 'dragging ass' stance. Who would design car to look like it had bad springs on the showroom floor?
The dragging ass stance was by design according to research. Those rear leaf springs were lower as part of a handling package to lower the center of gravity. I replaced mine with standard replacements from CJs. Looks great!

In my late teen years, I daily drove a '70 Cougar I paid $450 for, and my dad had a '68 Mustang convertible he made clear would be handed down to me when I graduated college. I fell deep into the vintage Mustang rabbit hole, especially for '65-'68 models, and I became obsessed, not paying much attention to other years. One day, driving to the post office, I caught a '71 Mustang hardtop sitting in someone's driveway with a FOR SALE sign. This was the first time I had ever seen a 71-73 and I was entranced. I started doing research (early 2000s too, so real research with books, not Google lol) and these cars seemed like spaceships. They looked like the offspring of sharks and fighter jets, and had a cool retro futuristic 60s vibe to them compared to the earlier Mustangs. Long story short... I sold the Cougar and bought the hardtop... and I have it to this day. I also inherited my dad's basket case '68, which is in queue for an eventual restoration, but nothing tickles my pickle like a '71-'73. The 65-70 fans can keep their "little" ponies.

I always disliked the 'dragging ass' stance. Who would design car to look like it had bad springs on the showroom floor?
The dragging ass stance was by design according to research. Those rear leaf springs were lower as part of a handling package to lower the center of gravity. I replaced mine with standard replacements from CJs. Looks great!

I definitely prefer the cars at least leveled, as opposed to 'dragging ass.' Never was a fan of that look, although I know it was a thing in the '50s thru the early '70s.

A little bit of rear end rake is OK - as long as it's backed up with some big fat meats stuffed under there. Makes the cars look mean and ready to get after it.

Some really good points made, on both sides of the great debate. For me, first and foremost, I love the incredible exterior color combinations and variety of accent striping available from the factory. I also really love the drivability of the 71-73 model. I've owned a fair share of 65-68 cars in all three body styles. I once had a non-power, 4-drum braked 1966 C-code Coupe and it was not fun to drive.... it felt like work to steer and stop it. Ok.... going fast-n-straight was fun!

On the topic of the exterior, I love the long nose, short rear end styling of the cars. I really like the shape and edge detail of the front fenders as they flow into the doors, back to the tail. I love the dual mirrors, the Mach 1 grille and the sport lamps. Lastly, pure eye candy is the NASA hood. Whether functional or not, (for me) it is the defining mark of this body style. Yes, I like the sleek look of the flat hood too, but when I think of a 71-73 car the NASA hood is the iconic image that comes to mind. Yep, and I drive a flat hood car, so there ya go.

On the inside, I love the sleek high backed seats and the fighter-pilot perspective from behind the wheel. I like the style of the instruments and the center stack above the radio. Last, I like the big glass side windows and the lack of vent windows.

The only thing that I really hate is that I can't buy them all.

I agree that whoever designed the fuse block wasn't thinking, or was a sadist. That said, my first car was a '65 falcon, and the fuse block was the same size at the same place. (Back then my 16 yr old frame could get to it a lot easier).
I made a better fuse block and made it easier to get to. I also made a new convex passenger-side mirror to fit the original housing, so I can actually see what's in the next lane. My advantage is that my car wasn't all original when I got it, so "improvements" weren't verboten.

I love the unique over the top 70's styling especially with the 71-72 sports grill. Love power windows especially with the Mach as they look so much better with the rear quarter down. Love how the sport deck seat option has the rear carpeted door instead of the awkward fold up in the wrong direction door. Love how there are so many ways you could order them. Love how not everyone likes them as I see that more as an advantage. I don't need anyone's approval and I most likely don't approve of their car choice either. If only I could see out the rear of a Mach better.

I know this is my personal view point, so no intent to upset the 73 crowd, but for me, the 73's totally lost it. I hate the 5 mph front bumper and the rear bumperets (if that what they're called). I also hate the grill with the vertical lights. Then there's the added emissions crap that was forced on us and the huge loss of horse power. I'm talking stock here, not after modifications. I also am not a fan of the wimpy stripe along the bottom of the doors. On the plus side, sorry, I can't think of any.

I am a Mach 1 fan through and through and yes, there are many thing I hate about the 71-72's as well. The sport mirrors are ridiculously small and totally useless especially the passenger side. (I fixed that by making my own much larger convex mirror)

What I like is the overall shape and design of the 71-73 machs and yes, the verts and coups as well.
Even though my wife and I presently own a 72 vert, I have owned and loved several 73's, and just cant agree with Stanglover on this one. (we usually agree),
I think the 1973 Mustang front bumper was one of the very best 1973 5 MPH bumpers ever made on any 1973 US spec car from an aesthetic point of view. I think they blended into the front fender beautifully, better even than the 71-72 urethane bumper, and I really like the shape of it. I have removed them though, and they weigh a freaking ton, so I'm sure they hurt the handling some hanging all that weight out that far in front of the front wheels.
I also thought the 73 Mach 1 grill was the best looking of the three years, very clean.

What I do agree with from Stanglover's post in his last line, I really like the shape, design, and overall lines of the bodies on all three body styles.

Last edited:
A little California Special, a touch of Shelby, mix in a bit of Torino Cobra and the economy of a 250!
You really need to do a picture show of your car !! I keep catching glimpses of it, but would really like to see it from several angles, and enjoy all that you have done to your car !!

Horsin' Around said:
A little California Special, a touch of Shelby, mix in a bit of Torino Cobra and the economy of a 250!

You really need to do a picture show of your car !! I keep catching glimpses of it, but would really like to see it from several angles, and enjoy all that you have done to your car !!
Yes, ..... 2nd that Marks1

Take a look!
Gorgeous !! But I can't seem to like putting the Mach 1 style wing rear spoiler on a Convertible, just doesn't seem right to me aerodynamically. I do love the Kamm style spoiler on Horsein Arounds car though !!

If only I could see out the rear of a Mach better.
Being an old man, I remember when anyone who had an early Ford coupe either chopped his coupe, or wanted to chop it. We drove 'em chopped and really couldn't see ca-ca out of the "mail-slot" rear window, but who cared, it looked "bitchin". Mine was a '34 three window with a mean chop (pictured below). In the 70s, custom vans came to be an off-shoot of custom cars, and you couldn't see out the back of those either. When jacked up 4x4s became the fad, oh you could see out the back, but not really behind, more like over the cars behind. When you're youthfull, such things as rear view is secondary to how cool your ride is. Photos are from '71

Attachments

• Me in my '34.jpg
    Me in my '34.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Engine in 34.jpg
    Engine in 34.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • '34, engine, me.jpg
    '34, engine, me.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
Being an old man, I remember when anyone who had an early Ford coupe either chopped his coupe, or wanted to chop it. We drove 'em chopped and really couldn't see ca-ca out of the "mail-slot" rear window, but who cared, it looked "bitchin". Mine was a '34 three window with a mean chop (pictured below). In the 70s, custom vans came to be an off-shoot of custom cars, and you couldn't see out the back of those either. When jacked up 4x4s became the fad, oh you could see out the back, but not really behind, more like over the cars behind. When you're youthfull, such things as rear view is secondary to how cool your ride is. Photos are from '71
You da man Spike !!

Several years ago while at the Erie, PA airport restaurant, a pilot approached me and stated he used to have a Grabber Blue Mustang way back in High School exactly like mine. He asked to look at mine, and of course I said "Sure you can!" Well, then he called the head of security and got clearance for me to drive into the hanger area for a few pictures with "His" Gulfstream IV jet. The funny part was when the pilot stated: "I still remember you can't see sh-t when backing these Mustang's up!!" And then he added "Does your auto insurance policy cover 35 million dollars in aircraft damage!!!

Attachments

• 16664447062001776889190184879782.jpg
    16664447062001776889190184879782.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 16664447845754521213820759623557.jpg
    16664447845754521213820759623557.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 1
Back