Location dimension for rear spoiler 1973 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Since several members had questions about the location of the rear spoiler I took mine off today. It is a 1973 Mach 1 that I ordered new, one owner, 12,000 miles. Never painted. 

Now for the shocker. The left and right side are very different. Something like how the hood black is off like 7/16"

I measured the dimensions with a steel rule from my tool & die days. I put the yellow tape measure on so you could see. So again we see how the assembly line did not do a very good job. I would have thought that the holes were put in by a hydraulic pierce machine as needed. Cannot imagine how they are so different. I also took some pics of the factory pedestals and some pics with the spoiler sitting back on trunk and tried to line up the rear of the trunk lid. I have never noticed it being crooked and have owned since new. They only time people notice it is when they measure. The finish is also factory finish. The adjusting allen bolts are very rusty.

EDIT

I slipped the spoiler back off and checked the center to center for the mounting holes and wiped the goo off and it looks like the holes were in the tunk before paint so a factory install for sure. 

One set of holes was 32 7/8" and the other was 32 15/16" I have added two pics below with the dimensions. I did not measure the hole dia. will do tomorrow.

As a note when you mount the spoiler just use a nut driver and to not go too far or you will bend the zince mounts. Also there is a plastic gasket under the spoiler that you need to order. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you David for taking the time to remove your spoiler and showing measurements to us all . That is interesting that the tape doesnt lie. It is off a fair amount.

Thanks again!

Wow David, that's waaay off. However, what was the side to side dimensions? The 429 site was 'close' on one side showing 9 1/2' to top hole C/L. But they live in a perfect world I guess. 

So now we have to wonder who put those on, factory or dealer..... with an incompetent line/service worker (in either case).

Makes a joke out of the Concours crowd who have to make it "perfect".

Wow David, that's waaay off. However, what was the side to side dimensions? The 429 site was 'close' on one side showing 9 1/2' to top hole C/L. But they live in a perfect world I guess. 

So now we have to wonder who put those on, factory or dealer..... with an incompetent line/service worker (in either case).

One opinion...

One opinion...
 EDIT: Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back