Look what I found in the trunk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Hi peasants  :classic_biggrin:

I was rummaging down one of those dark side buckets in the trunk 
felt something that seemed to be stuck --got the torch out found an old reel of duct tape and underneath was this - ..and the condition of it is amazing 

It's about 30 pages long, printed in 1971 telling the owner how to best look after their newly acquired car. 

You know me...always love running down on 71-73 history  :whistling:

I need help with this question -- if it is not already in the library/archive of documentation that I know the awesome Rocketyfoot and others have built up over the years 

I'm happy to scan it all in as a .pdf for ya'aaaawl to download

here's example pages - full of darn useful information 

all the best to ya'aawl ...stay safe - hopefully we can all have beer and burgers together soon.  :thumb:

Al 

1971-manual.jpg

1971-2.jpg

1971-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Al, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those are reproduced. I have one. They look very real for sure. This is not to say the one you found was an original from 71, I hope it was, but you may find the PO had bought a reprint. What I do see that is different to mine, is the colours. Where yours has the yellow, mine is all white with the blue. I'll take a pic if you like. I'd be curious to know IF they were yellow and blue originally.

Ok, I just noticed something odd. The front of mine MAY have faded from yellow to white as the back has the yellow. This is strange because this booklet has been in a cupboard or in the glove box, strange! Here's a pic.

20210424_151732.1.jpg

20210424_151805.1.jpg

20210424_151854.1.jpg

Not bad news at all -- if that is what it is, then great 

What I found amusing in the coupon to send off to get stuff

Wonder what they'd think at Dearborn if one filled it in and sent it off 

I have this one as well, also an "authentic" looking leaflet. I believe I got them from Osborn Reproductions, I'm not sure without checking. Been a looong time since I bought them.

20210424_152938.1.jpg

I was at my local Ford dealer back in the 80's and was headed to the parts department when I saw two guys carrying boxes of books to a pick up and tossing in the back. Went over and it was service manuals, parts books, showroom brochures and owner's manuals. So I went to the owners office and as Steve what is up with the paper work. He said they were cleaning out the attic and tossing all the old stuff. I asked if I could have and he said yes. I filled a for van with For and also AMC and Jeep info. They were both dealers at one time. I have sold thousands of dollars worth. One AMC guy at a show went crazy and bought everything but I did have way cheap prices to get it gone. There were boxes full on NOS showroom brochures. I kept lots of the older parts books back into the 1920's. Some are new not a finger print on them. Even the Holman Moody and Shelby catalogs and price listing never used. Right place at right time. I missed out when they moved from old building to new. They tossed all the old Ford parts that were in the FoMoCo red and tan boxes. The parts guy said two pick up loads went to the dump. IDIOTS. That was 1972.

During one of my visits to Daniel Carpenters private collection I talked him into selling me the showroom banner for 1973 Mustang and Torino. They are on E-bay but usually $600 he let me have for $180 it does have one stain on it. I hang up at shows here it is at the P.I.T.S. show few weeks back. To the right of my car and I have story board below it. All mounts to what use to be Interstate battery display cart. I need to get out and visit all the Ford dealers here and see what is lurking in the attic.

20210327_141537.jpg

Looks like more stuff i need to buy, LOL
 I took a look at an NPD catalog and they had them (2019) in there. I did not check the website, yet. The pictures in the catalog are quite small, but appears to be exactly the same as the ones I have. Thinking back, I bought them from NPD. While NOT original documents, they are authentic looking and would fool most people just looking at them. I used to put them on the dash at shows, but I have other  (copies of) original documents I have, to display.

I think the best way to tell if they're original is the yellowing on the pages. Based on how white the pages are, looks to be a reproduction. I have a well-preserved original and even on mine the pages are yellowed. And it has that distinct old book smell, too. Smell your manuals, y'all.

Interesting topic, of look what I found in the trunk. At one time, I worked at Nick's T-Birds, we had a large car lot of donor T-Birds for odds and ends, and I aquired a treasure trove of random junk from in the trunks and under the seats, while working there. Of which, I found a large assortment of can openers ( church keys), with the beer company's name or logo stamped on them. Coors, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, etc. I eventually mounted them all in a shadow box to hang on the wall. I think there's 12-14 of 'em. Of course, I found lots of old coins. I even found a 76 Union credit card from the late 60s or 70s, the kind that you used to hand to the attendant and he'd swipe a carbon receipt over it, embossing your name and card number onto the receipt. ( Gas was 36.9 for regular and 39.9  for super leaded then). I myself worked in a 76 Union, so I remember the cards well. I even found a professional billiard player's cue stick, in it's protective case, it unscrewed into 2 or 3 pieces, and was balanced. Weird what gets lost in a car huh?   

Back