Looking at a '72, would like some opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Nova LQx/4L80e
66 GTO 400/4-speed
72 Scout II
(maybe?) 72 Mustang 351/C5
Hey all, my girlfriend is interested in a '72 Mustang Grande (here's the CL ad). We looked at it this weekend, and I took a few pictures and notes to help determine what would be needed both short-term and long-term. She wants to have this as a regular driver (she works 3 miles from home). Keep in mind that I haven't taken engine vitals yet.

Photos

The seller is asking $6,500 for it. I don't think it's worth that much, since we identified more than $1000 in parts that are needed (based on cal-mustang prices):

-Grille, incl. the front mustang emblem (not pictured)

-Driver's door panel (which I guess we'd have to find used, since the delux panel is $400 and isn't sold in green)

-Carpet

-Weatherstripping

-Wiper motor (maybe - wipers went halfway then stopped, as seen in the photo of the windshield)

-Wheels/tires (not a fan of what's on it right now)

-Misc trim pieces

-A/C (he has all the components, and it is an original A/C car, but the compressor, lines, etc. need replaced)

-Stereo

-Heater and controls (this may need to be hooked up correctly - the blower works, but it only stays on the defrost vents no matter the position selected)

-Rear suspension shocks/bushings (It has air shocks in the rear, so I can lower it to get rid of that stinkbug look, though I'd like to replace them eventually).

The engine sounds healthy (he said it has Flowmasters, though I couldn't confirm; and it sounds like a mild cam), and the guy said he rebuilt the C5 (not C4) trans and put a shift kit in - he does car work on the side out of his home shop. The shifter is loose, and doesn't have a lock-out function for reverse/park. I am planning to get a jack under it to check front suspension/steering components, and check engine vitals. I also need to get the VIN and data plate info (stupid me forgot). The paint and body are good (it's very dirty in the pics), and I could find no evidence of rust. Both the chin and rear spoilers are in great shape.

I am fully capable of turning wrenches, and have built engines and transmissions before (though only GM, never Ford). I've also restored old cars. I plan to take the dash apart and try to repaint much of the plastic pieces, rather than replacing them. Overall it seems to be a pretty solid car that just needs some nickel and dime interior pieces to be 'respectable' enough for her to drive. My question is what you Mustang gurus think of the price, as well as anything else I need to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums! It looks like a nice investment and I love the avocado interior! I'd probably start my offer at $5000.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

::welcome::

That's what I was thinking. She's got a couple others in mind, so I told her I'd start at $5k and see what happens. I appreciate the help - let me know if there's anything else I need to be mindful of.

Girlfriend + vintage car = trouble

BTDT

Besides that, it looks pretty decent, but the pics are small with no detail. From the description, if you get it for $5k, you should be doing okay. Keep in mind that coupes and Grandes of the 71-3 vintage do not a good investment make, unless they are loaded with the best performance drivetrain of the year.

One things for sure - make sure she likes green......

sounds a little high, but nice car you can really sink a lot of money in these babies, good luck and keep is posted.

Start even lower...maybe $4k. and get a picture of the "shit kit".
Here's my honest opinion. There are just way too many things that are dinged and ripped and rusty and incorrect and I could go on. A Grande with the vinyl roor and in great condition would have a hard time selling for over $10K. This car looks like it needs thousands just to get it road worth much less cosmetically looking decent. As for the green interior - well - that is a personal preference. Sorry to be harsh but just trying to be realistic. What so you envision the car looking like and what will it cost to get there and after adding up all that what else could you have bought for the same money or less.

I agree with everyone it seems a little steep {cough}that's putting mildly.I would shop around some more also.that seems expensive to me and classic cars are usually more expensive here in Canada because a solid body is harder to find.

OH and I took the liberty of going a little further in your pics.That's a nice mess your dog made hahaha:D

Haha, thanks. She's only 8 months, and likes to escape her 'home' and terrorize everything when I'm at work.

So are these things seriously worth that little? Maybe my background in GM muscle cars has made me value cars of the era higher, but that's why I asked you guys. I do appraiser the input though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, thanks. She's only 8 months, and likes to escape her 'home' and terrorize everything when I'm at work.

So are these things seriously worth that little? Maybe my background in GM muscle cars has made me value cars of the era higher, but that's why I asked you guys. I do appraiser the input though.
the 71 to 73 mustangs are not sought after as much as the older years.We are the black sheep of the family.The mach 1"s and sprint cars are the most valuable I guess also the rare 351boss.I don't know much about the price range for the grande but the other guys on the site are pretty well informed.And like I said in my previous post.Up here in Canada the prices are much higher for the same car you guys have in the U.S. Also the interior color is a hard one to match you would have to paint everything to get the right color and that is a lot of work.You could change the complete car. But then again why not spend the extra money you would put in that one and find something that needs less work. I suggest you keep looking for a while.There are plenty of cars out there I'm sure your bound to find a better deal.

I agree with everyone it seems a little steep {cough}that's putting mildly.I would shop around some more also.that seems expensive to me and classic cars are usually more expensive here in Canada because a solid body is harder to find.

OH and I took the liberty of going a little further in your pics.That's a nice mess your dog made hahaha:D
PICS? :huh:

They're in the orig post. Just keep scrolling through, past the GTO dash pics (designing an aluminum insert for it). FYI- neither of the dogs in those pics did the damage, and now that I look at them, it was actually not my dog, but an Aussie shepherd mix that was about a year at the time. I could do nothing but laugh. :D

They're in the orig post. Just keep scrolling through, past the GTO dash pics (designing an aluminum insert for it). FYI- neither of the dogs in those pics did the damage, and now that I look at them, it was actually not my dog, but an Aussie shepherd mix that was about a year at the time. I could do nothing but laugh. :D
DUH I missed that little word "PHOTOS" sometimes we are a little slow here in East TN

Back