Looking at a '72, would like some opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a nice car, if you can get it for the right price. Although 6,500 seems a little high to me, based on what you've said.

I'd be very particular about learning more about the engine work that's been done. If he can't tell you who did the work so you can check out the documents and credentials of the builder, I'd be very suspicious. I say this from recent experience, where we bought a rebuilt engine for another of our vehicles. I was told, and trusted, that it had been done properly. The motor looked right, sounded good, and the guy gave me all the right names locally for who did the work (although he had no paperwork). I trusted him. He lied about who did the work. We learned that it was his pet monkey. When we tore the motor down - after it started coming apart - we found some idiot had installed stock pistons in the .030 bore. It ran alright for a few months, but it started scoring the cyl walls. We're not novices, and we got duped. Looking good and sounding good are no substitutes for good documentation.

...and x2 when Nance says check the cowl area carefully. They're tough to find and expensive to fix.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Glad to have you here.

Mark

I don't want to knock the car in the ad. After looking it over about 2 years ago, i had a blue one i was looking at in better condition , had more options and it was a coupe, and it was going for 1500$. I was going to buy it to cut up to fix my mach 1 but it was in such good shape i could not bring myself to do it.

the car was for sale for over a year, finally someone came along to buy it for parts as well. then he found the car too nice to chop up and tried to sell it back to the first owner to get his money back, last i heard it was under a tarp the guy wasn't sure what to do.

i've seen coupes in similar shape come around from 500-2000$ depending on the rot discovered. i would not pay near 6K for that car it needs at least that or more put back into it.

Back