• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Looking for 71 bell housing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeman115

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if any body has a big block bell housing they’re looking to sell…I’m looking to match a my 429 to toploader in a 71 Mach 1….if anyone has something please message me.

You might look into 351M and 400M (most) bell housings to see if is workable. It has been way too long ago for me to say it will or won't work. Chuck

The major difference between late model truck bells and the correct, late-60's car bellhousing is the clutch fork pivot. At some point in the 70's they switched from the simple 90* bracket with a slot for the fork spring to a wedge. The bolt holes are the same though, so you can switch the wedge out for the bracket. When I say sinple 90* bracket I'm talking about this style:
1662751574914.png

The major difference between late model truck bells and the correct, late-60's car bellhousing is the clutch fork pivot. At some point in the 70's they switched from the simple 90* bracket with a slot for the fork spring to a wedge. The bolt holes are the same though, so you can switch the wedge out for the bracket. When I say sinple 90* bracket I'm talking about this style:
View attachment 67439
Oh nice…I didn’t know that….iv been struggling finding out info on what’s compatible….are the depths the same also? From tranny to engine?

I think so? I'm almost positive but I have been wrong before...

As far as I know all big block (385 series) bells are the same depth, and I think that other truck bells for the 351M/400 would be the same depth as well, as long as it was out of a truck. A truck bell would have a 'T' as the third digit in the casting number. So like D9TE-xx for example.

Back