• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Looking for a Weiand X-Celerator (351C-4V)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72' Mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 H-code original paint
Hello, I am looking for the Weiand X-Celerator intake for a 351C with the 4V heads. I think the manifold number is 7517. Currently they are not available new and whenever I find one on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace it's always cash only/pick up only. I can pay via PayPal and will obviously pay shipping. As long as its in good used condition, no cracks or stripped threads. Would like to see pictures first before payment. Thank you

I find that if you ask, frequently people will ship if it's not too much hassle. Especially if you can have a phone conversation. That way both sides get a better feel for the person they're talking to and it's less like making a deal with a stranger. Plus, since no one likes being scammed, being able to show you are a member of this forum (or some other related one), you can kind of prove you are real.

Or, if a friendly 71/73 member in his area could help out...

If you've been checking CL, you might have found this one. Not a bad price, doesn't say he will or won't ship:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/minneapolis-351-cleveland-parts/7518097917.html

Hello, I tried responding to that ad yesterday. He will ship but wants cash only. I just asking him to list it on ebay so we will see what happens.

What I have done in the past with some deals (usually when selling) is if the other person is not comfortable with some form of online payment (usually older people..who else is going to have old Cleveland parts?...), is to have them use a personal check. The agreement is that I don't ship until the payment clears their bank, not just mine. That way there is no concern over a fake check or someone stopping payment 'in between'.
Being the person sending the check you have to either have a good amount of trust in that person (maybe there is a known history or reputation with other people) or just be willing to take a chance now and then.
So far, in 20 plus years, I haven't had any real issues.

I just offered a personal check to the seller, he has yet to respond to either method but I'll wait a little longer.

If you spot one in Phoenix area let me know, I will pick it up for your and ship it.

Why are you interested in a single plane manifold? What's the plans for the Mustang? (Street, drag, road race, etc.??)

If you spot one in Phoenix area let me know, I will pick it up for your and ship it.

Why are you interested in a single plane manifold? What's the plans for the Mustang? (Street, drag, road race, etc.??)
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

It was between that and the Edelbrock Performer. My car is for street use but it isnt quite stock. It has 4V heads with roller rockers, roughly 11:1 compression, cam is similar to Boss 351, long tube headers, .020 oversize cylinders. The Weiand is a low rise intake so I thought maybe it would work with ram air when I add it. Also I thought the advertised 1500-6500 Rpm range sounded appropriate. I wanted something a little more "exotic" than the Performer. Or would the Performer work well with my combo? Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Hopefully you'll find one soon. As far as convincing goes, dual vs single plane is similar to the ported vs manifold vacuum question. There is no perfect answer.

This article goes over some of the pro's and con's of both:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/intake-manifold-single-double-plane/
The general consensus is the single plane is better at higher RPM but dual plane is better at lower RPM. And a dual plane is a bit easier to tune.

How often will you be running it to 6500 RPM? Just a thought.

I think either would work well, probably not enough to notice a difference. And I do understand wanting something a bit more exotic, I am running a tri power. ;)

I will definitely give the article a read. I probably won't even take it past 6000 rpm. If the engine was bone stock I would go with the Performer without question. I noticed some people praise the Edelbrock, others bash it and even mention it starts to quit a little before 5500 rpm.

UPDATE

The guy from Minnesota is going to take a personal check for the Weiand intake. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey! That's cool...I do hope it works out. Also, one thing I do is look up the street address the check (more usually a package) is going to on Google Maps and use street view. Sometimes that can be a help to confirm the pics match the address if they were taken outside, or if there is a likely risk of porch pirates easily grabbing stuff.
It's not likely a dedicated scammer would try to sell old 351c parts on CL as a way to lure people.

For the shipping part of it, I recommend UPS and either signature confirmation (not fool proof) or having it delivered to a UPS access point or UPS store. That way it is not left on your doorstep for someone to steal while you are at work and you can pick it up at your convenience.
FedEx is much less trustworthy, they are more of a drop and scoot.

It's tough finding the intakes for these old dogs. I was looking for a 2V for months and almost justified buying a CHI from Australia but the duty and shipping was ridiculous. I called a performance parts store out of the blue one day and the sales guy had one at home. It's currently being shipped to me. This is my first Cleveland rebuild. For a while I was going to buy the adapter plates from Price Motorsports to use a 302 intake on my Cleveland but the cost of the adapters is more than an intake.

If anyone has a line on new intakes please drop a note on this thread, if this first one goes well I think I want to build one with a flat plane crank.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

It was between that and the Edelbrock Performer. My car is for street use but it isnt quite stock. It has 4V heads with roller rockers, roughly 11:1 compression, cam is similar to Boss 351, long tube headers, .020 oversize cylinders. The Weiand is a low rise intake so I thought maybe it would work with ram air when I add it. Also I thought the advertised 1500-6500 Rpm range sounded appropriate. I wanted something a little more "exotic" than the Performer. Or would the Performer work well with my combo? Feel free to convince me otherwise.
In '96 I bought my '71 M code. It had an Accelerator on it and it didn't perform worth a hoot below 3200 rpm. Those engines were like switches and those large ports didn't help low rpm vacuum signal and torque even with the little CJ cam. There was a Superford intake test back in the '90's that compared many of the intakes available at the time. The Accelerator was lazy down low. The best for light to light street ability were the dual planes and the Blue Thunder was the top dog nearly matching the performance of the best track performer, the Holley Strip Dominator. Consider very carefully what you want your mild off the line, in traffic throttle feel to be pleasurable. I yanked my X celerator and sold it. Even the stock Ford intake keeps up with the X celerator up to 5000 rpm for hp. As you can see, the torque of the X celerator is extremely unsatisfying. The Blue Thunder and the Edelbrock Torker well surpass the X celerator. For the money, the factory Ford intake on a streetlight performer is the best priced intake you can get at about 1/10 the cost of the Blue Thunder.

If you have power brakes, remember to give consideration to the vacuum signal to the brake booster.

Attachments

• IMG_9110.JPG
    IMG_9110.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Xcellerator.jpg
    Xcellerator.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • Blue Thunder.jpg
    Blue Thunder.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Torker.JPG
    Torker.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
In '96 I bought my '71 M code. It had an Accelerator on it and it didn't perform worth a hoot below 3200 rpm. Those engines were like switches and those large ports didn't help low rpm vacuum signal and torque even with the little CJ cam. There was a Superford intake test back in the '90's that compared many of the intakes available at the time. The Accelerator was lazy down low. The best for light to light street ability were the dual planes and the Blue Thunder was the top dog nearly matching the performance of the best track performer, the Holley Strip Dominator. Consider very carefully what you want your mild off the line, in traffic throttle feel to be pleasurable. I yanked my X celerator and sold it. Even the stock Ford intake keeps up with the X celerator up to 5000 rpm for hp. As you can see, the torque of the X celerator is extremely unsatisfying. The Blue Thunder and the Edelbrock Torker well surpass the X celerator. For the money, the factory Ford intake on a streetlight performer is the best priced intake you can get at about 1/10 the cost of the Blue Thunder.

If you have power brakes, remember to give consideration to the vacuum signal to the brake booster.
Oh well, too late now hahaha. I only paid $125 for it so we will see what happens. The Blue Thunder and Torker are too tall if I want to add ram air. I recently saw a Blue Thunder brand new on EBay for $785 plus $105 to ship it plus sales tax. Too expensive for me. If I don't like it I will get the Performer, there's plenty of those around.

Oh well, too late now hahaha. I only paid $125 for it so we will see what happens. The Blue Thunder and Torker are too tall if I want to add ram air. I recently saw a Blue Thunder brand new on EBay for $785 plus $105 to ship it plus sales tax. Too expensive for me. If I don't like it I will get the Performer, there's plenty of those around.
As I said earlier, the Ford intake is the best bang for the buck. I sold a D1ZX aluminum manifold to a gentleman in Italy a while back. I have the Torker and Blue Thunder. If you search on this site there are those who have modified the filter can of the air cleaner assy. and have provided rather nice details on the work. You might also try advancing the cam timing 4 degrees for better vacuum signal.

I have a first generation Edelbrock Torker 351C if anyone is interested. I haven’t put it up for sale yet. Going to give a good clean up ( it’s pretty good already). I’ll be wanting $275 plus shipping. Very good condition. All gasket surfaces are perfect.

I have a first generation Edelbrock Torker 351C if anyone is interested. I haven’t put it up for sale yet. Going to give a good clean up ( it’s pretty good already). I’ll be wanting $275 plus shipping. Very good condition. All gasket surfaces are perfect.
That would be the one with the clover leaf carb mounting pad?

That would be the one with the clover leaf carb mounting pad?
No, it’s a square (?) open design. I’m going to try to attach a photo.

Attachments

• 9598C0BE-6BB9-4DFF-A7D7-6210774FBE8F.jpeg
    9598C0BE-6BB9-4DFF-A7D7-6210774FBE8F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
No, it’s a square (?) open design. I’m going to try to attach a photo.
Mine must be earlier. I do like the taper of the port filler just below the carb to smooth out the air flow. They sell spacers for that taper.

Attachments

• edelbrock torker.jpg
    edelbrock torker.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 0
Back