• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for large seat track springs and one track to frame bolt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71ProjectJunk

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
I am looking for 2 of the large springs that go from the seat track to the seat frame (not the small spring that just holds the adjusting arm in place), and I am also looking for one of the bolts that attach the seat track to the seat frame. The bolt should have a 12 point head and be like a gold color (at least that is what the ones that are there now look like).

I may have the two springs and certainly have the bolts. I will be back in town on the 10th and will check and get you pictures if still needed.

I may have the two springs and certainly have the bolts. I will be back in town on the 10th and will check and get you pictures if still needed.
I definitely still need them. I have looked for that bolt through AMK, but they do not seem to have them.

Hello 71 Project Junk,
Some of the Ford catalog listings are about as clear as Mississippi mud! The illustrations have either a bolt number that was never released for service or the incorrect number listed, which was never corrected through the many revisions over the years. The text section never listed the correct number, and a lot of times (After several revisions), the Mustang listing disappeared.
The correct bolt is (Ford# 383519-S100--replaced by 384871-S2) 5/16-18 X 1". It is a hexagon head bolt with an S2 finish, phosphate, and oil. The closest Amk product is F-940 which contains B-11354 bolts. Amk requires a $30.00 minimum order with a $10.00 shipping charge. A negative if looking for a small number of hardware pieces.
The long spring, D1ZZ-6561828-A, was also used on '71-77 Maverick (Bucket seat models), '74-78 Mustang II with the 2-way manual seat, and sister Mercury vehicles. Unfortunately, many of these vehicles were "Thrown away" at the end of their life cycle with of treasure trove of these types of small parts no one gave a second thought to then.

To my knowledge, no one is reproducing the spring, which is probably not an often sought-after part. Mike @ Motor City Mustang would probably be your best bet. He has a stable of parts cars, with many parts looking for a new home. If for some reason, Mike doesn't have these, you can try Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply which also has parts cars. Now you know more about these bolts and springs than you thought you'd ever want to know! 😊

Attachments

• 6561828-D1ZZ-A.jpg
    6561828-D1ZZ-A.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello 71 Project Junk,
Some of the Ford catalog listings are about as clear as Mississippi mud! The illustrations have either a bolt number that was never released for service or the incorrect number listed, which was never corrected through the many revisions over the years. The text section never listed the correct number, and a lot of times (After several revisions), the Mustang listing disappeared.
The correct bolt is (Ford# 383519-S100--replaced by 384871-S2) 5/16-18 X 1". It is a hexagon head bolt with an S2 finish, phosphate, and oil. The closest Amk product is F-940 which contains B-11354 bolts. Amk requires a $30.00 minimum order with a $10.00 shipping charge. A negative if looking for a small number of hardware pieces.
The long spring, D1ZZ-6561828-A, was also used on '71-77 Maverick (Bucket seat models), '74-78 Mustang II with the 2-way manual seat, and sister Mercury vehicles. Unfortunately, many of these vehicles were "Thrown away" at the end of their life cycle with of treasure trove of these types of small parts no one gave a second thought to then.

To my knowledge, no one is reproducing the spring, which is probably not an often sought-after part. Mike @ Motor City Mustang would probably be your best bet. He has a stable of parts cars, with many parts looking for a new home. If for some reason, Mike doesn't have these, you can try Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply which also has parts cars. Now you know more about these bolts and springs than you thought you'd ever want to know!
Secluff,

You are the man! With the Ford part number on the spring I was able to do a Google search and find that West Coast Cougar had some used ones. Was able to order them. Still looking for the bolt. Will probably just pull one out and go to the hardware store and see if I can just get a bolt that will work there. Its not like anyone will ever see that bolt :cool:

Between 50-year-old incorrect numbers in the Ford Master parts catalog (MPC) and some vague descriptions in some of the AMK listings, it's sometimes a struggle to come up with an accurate fastener size. The fastener to attach the seat track to the seat frame/cushion is Ford # 384871-S2 (5/16-18 X 1") and replaced 383519-S100. The 383517-S listed in the '65-72 and '73-79 illustrations is an incorrect listing. As previously posted, the AMK version of this fastener is Kit F-940 or bolt B-11354 (5/16-18 X 15/16")

The bolt that fastens the seat track to the floor or car body is 3/8-16 X 1 1/8" (Ford # 382062-S2) AMK kit F-3473, bolt B-12721
At this point, only needing one bolt, a trip to your local hardware store might be a good idea. If you find you need additional hardware, I'm sure Mike @ Motor City Mustangs' offer is still valid. Besides, once your wife finds out where you are going, she may want to give you a list of things to pick up for future "Honey Do" projects! :giggle:

Attachments

• 61705-1.jpg
    61705-1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back