Looking for photos of ram air hoods with added scoop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
So I know the idea of cutting a ram air hood up isn't going to sit well with some folks, but it has been done before and I'd like to see examples if anyone has some photos.

I need more air in my engine than can pass through the air filter I am currently using. I lack clearance to go taller. I am considering a dual inlet box with filters up in front of the radiator support, using the K&N lid type filter, or possibly going to a 14 x 5 filter element and . . . gulp . . .

cutting my hood and covering it with either a Mach 1 type scoop or perhaps a Thunderbolt teardrop.

Feel free to hate me-I probably deserve it. ;)

So I would not do it to my original hood, but here is my mini version, sorry the best I can do with this request... ::thumb::

Mach Model.jpg

So I know the idea of cutting a ram air hood up isn't going to sit well with some folks, but it has been done before and I'd like to see examples if anyone has some photos.

I need more air in my engine than can pass through the air filter I am currently using. I lack clearance to go taller. I am considering a dual inlet box with filters up in front of the radiator support, using the K&N lid type filter, or possibly going to a 14 x 5 filter element and . . . gulp . . .

cutting my hood and covering it with either a Mach 1 type scoop or perhaps a Thunderbolt teardrop.

http://www.usbody.com/__Photo-Product-Views/A-Hood-Specs/T-Hoods/tmuh-72.htm

No HATE!! You are a great member of this site. And you are enjoying your car!

Tough choices for the hood to clear. Good luck!

Ray

http://www.usbody.com/__Photo-Product-Views/A-Hood-Specs/T-Hoods/tmuh-72.htm
Seconded. I have a mach 1 style scoop and it looks a bit out of place in my opinion.

o7WtzSF.jpg

Someone on this site is currently doing a restoration that involves raising the entire raised portion of the ram air hood. Looks really cool! Sorry, I can't remember who it is right now. :huh:

22_full_zpsbf7ebf70.jpg

Left is '71 429 thunder Jet with ol' school scoop. Right one is a Venezuelan Mustang with original hood ornament... take a closer look.

tulilankanatikat_zps901b6971.jpg

This was my first mock-up, which I deleted.

scooppi.jpg

The lifted RAM-AIR hood can be found from this thread. It looks bitchin' but it is very laborintensive IMHO.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-jon-kaase-boss-429

I've got the Dominator hood with the cowl induction waiting somebody :whistling: to take a break from gunstuff and stop slacking from the garage duty - get it painted and installed.

Seriously its not an easy task to make a good looking RAM-AIR hood with good looking scoop. Good luck with your project!

Last edited by a moderator:

No hate is deserved but I got to ask WTF! and you think I'm wacky Jeff. Well to each his or her own. Sorry I can't help you with pics but if I were to do this sort of thing ( and I can't ever imagine doing so) I'd use a tear drop style. I just think there cool and so nostalgic. I'd also do it to a standard hood but that's just me.

I've considered that solution, Jegs reports that it increases airflow 230 CFM. It might work fine. Thanks
That's what Im running on my car Jeff. With a 900 cfm Quick fuel carb. I don't seem to be having any trouble that I know of.

33nvy1u.jpg

Back