looks like I blew a hole in the timing cover...I think

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
so I was out driving today for the first time after replacing a bunch of steering and suspension parts in my 73 Mexican Mach 1, and everything was running great....and then I saw the steam and the engine temp gauge....radiator was empty and coolant blown everywhere under the hood.  I figured a punctured hose or loose clamp somewhere.  nope. so had had pulled over at a gas station and bought a few gallons of coolant and starting pouring it in, only to hear the sound of it pouring out.  took me a few mins to find the problem.  I'm guessing its the timing cover but am not sure. can anyone confirm the  location of the hole in these pics?  its about 6" directly beneath where the main coolant hose connects to the motor. I'm pretty concerned until I know what part broke...

thanks

Yep, that's the timing cover.
thanks Hemi, much appreciated. this car spent much of its life in Mexico by the ocean, and I'm guessing from the sand all over the undercarriage that the car had a lot of salt air/water exposure.  I can't really think of what else would cause the kind of corrosion that would lead the timing cover to fail in this location.

Yep, that's the timing cover.
thanks Hemi, much appreciated. this car spent much of its life in Mexico by the ocean, and I'm guessing from the sand all over the undercarriage that the car had a lot of salt air/water exposure.  I can't really think of what else would cause the kind of corrosion that would lead the timing cover to fail in this location.
I'm also thinking I need to replace the factory gauges for engine temp. they work, but are low down on the center console. so yesterday after I lost all of my coolant, I did not see the steam until I stopped at a traffic light. I had prob been driving 10 mins with the temp gauge pegged on Hot, and I didn't see it.  maybe a gauge with a light?

Since your car is Mexican you should have a 351 W engine. That aluminum part should be easy to find. I actually took one to recycle because I only have 351 C engines now.

Gages make a car look good but by far are not as good as having a red light right in front of you. The racers have gauges but seldom look at them. They had a big red light that comes on if oil pressure drops then you look at the gauge to see what is up. When I build my track car it will have both for sure.

I'm looking at CJPony parts for a timing cover. I see and Edelbrock for $159 and some other one for $84. I'm concerned about some of these aftermarket parts being crap and not fitting properly, or being poor quality. does anyone have a recommendation for the best part to buy to replace my timing cover?

this is what it looks like when coolant eats a hole through your timing cover.

I was able to find an original 1974 OEM timing cover as a replacement. got it from a local guy $50.

also replaced the timing chain which was sloppy, and the urethane pulley that was worn. might as well when the front of the motor is apart.

also replaced the radiator hoses to the correct ones...now the radiator hose does not rest on top of the battery..

with that stuff fixed, I am hoping to make it the 20 miles to the alignment shop...what will break next...hmmmmm

Back