Lots of Tire Information

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Was curious about where tires are made. In my searching I found this web site that has lots of info on how to read the codes on the tires and who makes what.

We are down to Goodyear and Cooper being the only two remaining U.S. owned tire mfgs. Cooper was actually going to sell out to an Indian company but is off again on again.

So if you buy tires even though Goodyear or Cooper they can still be imported so check the codes to see where they were made before purchase.

Anyway thought this is good info to know. https://www.utires.com/articles/tires-made-usa-american-foreign-brands/

The Michelin tire plant that was in S.C. and I think still make some there, had a test fleet that drove through my area ever day. At one time they had compact car, truck, large car and mid size. They just put miles on the cars on actual roads not a track.

I have a friend that worked at Michelin in quality. When they moved some of the mfg. to I think Italy they doubled their tolerances and Italy still could not meet so they just take what they send, lol.

They also tested their heavy truck tires you would see a flat bed tractor trailer with just weights on the back. Sometimes they would have an empty rim in the inside to overload the single tire.

When the wide heavy truck tires came out I bet they tested for two years before you saw them on regular trucks. They came from Spartanburg, S.C. through Hendersonville, N.C. on into Tennessee and back every day. Would have been a boring job, lol.

When I was growing up there were five main tire companies in my hometown.

Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, Dunlop and Seiberling .

I think only Goodyear now and they only make specialty tires.

mike

I have been a Goodyear guy ever since my first car. I ran Goodyear Eagle STs for many years, but sadly, Goodyear has stopped manufacturing them. I currently run the B.F. Goodrich Radial TA. Last week, I attended a big Mopar show here locally, and almost every street driven ( not a strictly show car ) car was running the Radial TA. It seems to me that there is still quite a market amongst the Muscle Car guys for performance oriented , white lettered, correct era dimensioned street tires. Apparently , many companies couldn't be bothered....

Tires for 14" wheels. Now there's a challenge! 

Only BFG and Cooper make performance tires if you will, for our cars. I had to buy new 14" Magnum 500 wheels about 5 years ago because in years past, some "A hole" had obviously used impact wrenches and egg shaped the bolt holes. My tires were still within age and ware limits. If the tires were not still good, I would have switched to 15" and bought both tires and rims, but I didn't.

Now I need new tires. I have 7" on the front and 8" on the back. Cooper was suggested because of lower cost. However, the largest tire they list for the 14" is 225-60- R14. Not wide enough, so BFG it is as I want 235-60-R14 front and 245-60-R14 back.

Some choice!!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Dunlop was a German company?!
Hmm, I always was under the impression that Dunlop was a British company originally. Dunlop was the most common tire (tyre) I saw when I lived there.

And by the way, we had radial tyres back in the 60's. I ran Goodyear G800 radials in 1967 on my "Vauxhal Viva" When I moved to Canada, I bought my first '71 Mustang in 74 and boy did I have a tough time learning how to drive on Bias Ply tires!

Dunlop was a British company, now manufactured by Sumitomo of Japan.

FWIW, Sumitomo makes a good tire.
I believe Sumitomo also makes Falken in addition to Dunlop.  I was looking to replace the worn Pirelli Scorpion OEM tires on my wife's Lincoln Navigator.  I could not get past the reasonable price and high ratings of the Sumitomo Encounter tire for that vehicle's 20" alloy wheels.  Then I realized the previous owner had installed Sumitomo tires onto my Ferrari Mondial and that sealed the deal for me (they are great on that car).  They are huge but it's a manufacturer that seems to fly under the radar in the US.

Back