Lower control arm and strut rod bushing help needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
I am working on my front suspension. I have a couple of questions before I assenble...

The new lower arm came with a little packet with the cotter key, zerk, and 2 washers. I assume the washer goes on top of the ball joint, between it and the spindle, but am wondering why there are 2? I looked in the other package with the other arm, and there are 2 in that one too. (I was thinking maybe there was 2 by accident). 

Then, I got new bushings for the strut rod. Do I have them in the correct position? It doesn't seem to fit different in the front crossmember either way, but I assume there is a reason each end is shaped differently and should go on a particular way. The car had what looked like stock bushings, but one side or other had been apart at one time, and each side has the washers facing different directions so I can't just duplicate the way they are. That was my first thought, but noooooo, lol!

I added some pics, if someone can steer me in the right direction so I can assemble this front end it would be appreciated! Thanks, Earl

2017-12-05 18.20.09.jpg

2017-12-05 18.38.31.jpg

2017-12-05 18.39.23.jpg

Those two washers with lower control arm go on either side of the the hole where the sway bar end links mount. That hole is bigger than the original and they make it smaller. There should be a small piece of paper with pics

+1 on looking like urethane bushings. Before using them you should search the forum for opinions on them, and better substitutes.
Don't bother, just throw them out and get factory rubber units. Urethane is too stiff for the strut rod position and will eventually cause it to break.

We stock this one

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1121

FM-ES017E_LG.JPG

Back