lower control arms

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Can anyone tell me what is involved in removing the lower control arms.

This is the first time I have tried front end work. Now that I have all the stuff in the back done it's time to replace the ball joints before the weather gets nice and while I am still waiting for my moter to get back from the machine shop.

Jim

Seriously, it's not bad at all. Find a good coilspring compresser and you're all set. I'd go ahead and replace the uppers while you're in there.

I bought a kit that had both control arms, coil springs, idler arm, shocks (KYB) and bushings for about $250 total.

PM if you'd like more info. This was the very first thing I did to my 'stang, except put gas in it. :D

Doc

I did both the uppers and lowers with my "while I'm at it" disease. I had to "buy" those fork tools for removing the ball joints from the spindle, but other than that, is was just a lot of man handling. Oh I also replaced the front springs, and had to use a bazillion washers to the standard coil spring compressor. What out, those springs pack a lot of punch if you don't it right.

Jim I would go a head and do the upper ball joints and control arm bushings while I had it apart to. Its not hard at all, if you can turn a wrench you can do it,just get a good spring compressor.But with that being said I am like maidin dearborn, I have the "while i am at it disease" also.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Know about those coil springs. Saw one let go a few years ago, thats what scares the H out of me.

That while I'm at it disease seem pretty common on this web site.

I will post pics as I go along.:D

Jim

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Know about those coil springs. Saw one let go a few years ago, thats what scares the H out of me.

That while I'm at it disease seem pretty common on this web site.

I will post pics as I go along.:D

Jim
Yahoo! Yep, pics as you go, please. And then people will be quoting YOUR project. Again, shout if you have troubles.

Doc

Jim, rebuild or replace the upper control arms first they are the load bearing ball joints(the spring attaches to them). The job is not too bad, replacing the upper shaft and bushings is the worst part.

Guys, NEVER use a pickle fork on Ford joints it will damage them. To separate the joints loosen the nuts and leave them on the joint about the thickness of the nut and place a few sharp whacks with a hammer to the side of the spindle or steering arm and they will pop loose. It sounds kinda Neanderthal but it is best practice for Fords.

Back