Lower dash holes for switches?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
With the Rickster at the paint shop, I've been working on getting parts ready to install when I get it back.  I've got the dash panel cleaned up and primed, but have a question.  To the left of the headlight switch there are 3 small holes that appear to be for switches or warning lights.  Any idea what they may be for?  I've checked several pictures and YouTube videos and those 71-73 Mustangs didn't have those holes.  Sooo, should I weld them closed, clean it up and reprime?  I would sure like to know your thoughts.  Thanks

I would not weld them. If the dash is original to the car then certainly keep them. I believe they may be for parking brake, seat belts and something else?. I have seen them with 2 small holes and my cars have 1 i think? The little lighted bezels may be a huge pita to find. I just can't recall for certain what they all are. Sorry so following to hear what thos emote knowledgeable have to say. A pic of the area may be helpful for some.

I can think of uses for two of them.  In 1971 cars, the hole to the left of the light switch was for a Belts warning lamp.  It was not very sophisticated - just a timer.  Later that lamp was replaced with a Park lamp to indicate when the parking brake was set.  The seatbelt lamp moved to the dash above the glovebox door.  To the left of that was the power top/heated backlight switch.  Not sure what a 3rd hole would be for.  A photo might help.

I was thinking of that last night when I posted my query, but didn't have a picture handy.  I went out this morning and took a picture.  It looks like those holes were gnawed into the dash by a previous owner.  I guess I could use one for something like "pass. ejection seat" button, but I am thinking closing them up may be the way to go.  What do you think?

20210418_094034.jpg

My early build, (Sept. 71),  '72 Mustang has two lights to the left of the head light switch.  One is for seat belts and the other for parking brake.  Not a good picture but all I have.  My original lights are in storage, have to try to restore one day as the plastic needs work.  The ones there now are my creation.   Yours are defiantly made by  someone other then a skilled tech lol.

2 lights.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Bentworker, Mike, jscott.  Since this is a 73 Mach 1, I think I'll weld them up.  The car has the fasten seat belt light on the passenger dash, and not be a convertible, the top up/down switch isn't needed.  Looking at them more, they are not lined up, not round, and not needed, so away they will go.  Thanks again for your help.

The holes do not look factory made.  I have a 73 Mach 1 and it has 3 holes in that area.  The left hole is for the rear defrost switch, the center hole is for the rear defrost is "on" indicator light, the right hole for the parking brake warning light which is part of the factory convenience group.  

There should be the brake light and if you had rear window defogger the light to show it is on and the switch also. Not a great pic but you can see the switch, warning lights to the left of the light switch. The warning light for rear window defogger is maybe 3/8" not as big as yours.

DSC_0941.JPG

Thanks, David and Trig.  This car didn't have a rear window defroster, wasn't a convertible, has seatbelt light above the dash, and this car didn't have the factory convenience group with the parking brake warning light.  The holes were not lined up very well, had rough edges, and were off size, so after cleaning up, I welded them closed.  

20210418_094034.jpg

A little grinding cleaned them up, and then a skim coat of body filler and a little sanding...

20210419_155150.jpg

20210419_161522.jpg

20210419_163501.jpg

And then some primer and the dark charcoal metallic paint and Voila!!

20210420_125846.jpg

So that is done, and while it's not perfect, I think it came out pretty good.  

Thanks again, to all who replied.  I wanted to make sure I didn't delete something that I would wind up needing and then have to redrill a hole there, or something.  I was tempted to leave one for a button and label it "Passenger Ejection Seat" but the wife was not to keen on that, so all three were deleted.  Again, thanks,guys for all the help.

Just to keep this thread alive - stick with me this takes some 'splainin'...

I have been going through the wiring diagrams on my never-ending quest for a convenience group harness and noticed something that has me puzzled.  On my car and the parts car I had awhile back there was a Belts indicator next to the power top switch.  This lamp would light up whenever the accessory power grid was energized by the ignition key.  The lamp had a harness that ran from the lamp, below the instrument cluster, across the top of the radio and up to the relay panel above the glovebox where it plugged into a timer relay.  The harness draws power from an accessory power connector next to the radio.  Makes sense.  However, I haven't found that circuit on the wiring diagrams (yet).

The convenience harness has a bulb on it, but it is for a parking brake warning lamp.  This lamp is lit whenever the accessory power grid is energized and the parking brake is engaged.  This circuit is very simple, with a switch on the parking brake mechanism feeding the convenience group harness via a connector above the relay panel.  Neither of my cars had a switch on the parking brake mechanism, so I guess that's another part I need to find.  At any rate, the two circuits are completely separate, which is expected.  After seeing the extra hole in this dash, I got to wondering - did Ford ever ship a car that had BOTH the parking brake warning and seatbelt warning lamps installed in lower left corner of the dash?  I have never seen this configuration, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.  Thoughts?  Photos?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the pic that TRig posted above of his 72 convertible which has both?

73MustangCoup, Those holes definitely had the gnawed look! All those non-factory holes could have been for a 007 Bond tribute vehicle. Smokescreen, oil spray on the road, or even the previously mentioned ejection seat! 

Your dash looks great. That's a very professional-looking repair.

@MikeGriese, if you checked off all the right boxes, there were all kinds of nice options available on our vehicles. Even when converted to 2021 $$ they are still bargains. When coupes and sports roofs were ordered with the optional rear window defroster, they would be an "ON" indicator lamp to the left of the defroster switch as David had mentioned. That would also provide another mystery hole for someone to figure 20-30 years from now!   :biggrin:

warn-lamps.jpg

Back