Lower stripe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newold

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
What are most doing? Paint or strip kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the lower body line? On the edge of a color or in the middle of a color?

Paint on mine.

A couple more questions sorry. Is the color change at the body line or lower? And how wide are the stripes? 1/4”?

I believe it varied.  As shown on the yellow car, it hit just below the bend for the decor group.

If you did not get the decor group, the rocker pant was the same I believe.  The decal actually had 2 stripes, one about 1/2 inch wide and then the 1/4 inch stripe offset by 1/4 inch.  That wider part of the tape stripe would overlap the rocker paint to form a blend and lift the color to the rocker bend on the body.

Now please take my dimensions with a grain of salt as I have not measured.

kcmash

I have a 72 mach 1 with the original side argent and stripe I can get photos of maybe tomorrow, pouring ran now.

I also have a 73 vert with Décor Group. The door opening is not just a straight line taped of There was actually still masking tape under the scuff plate when I pulled it off. Also the rear and front valance was on when they did the black.

They also missed a huge spot on the R.H. quarter panel that nobody ever notices but bigger than your hand.

You also have the black at each tail light opening if a Mach 1, vert or Décor group and the rear underside of the hood. All of the black was done first then masked off then the color applied. makes since less to mask off. The hood rear bottom edge was sprayed after color. Also you have the cowl and engine compartment.

The Décor Group black had runs all over the place on my original car.

On a 73 Mach 1 with black side stripes they sprayed black around the front side marker lights and the light frame was black.

what is property liability

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great if you could get me some photos tomorrow. Thanks

This link may help. Chuck  http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

This link may help. Chuck  http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Thanks. I did check that out

Was kinda curious what most were doing. Paint or stripe kit.

Also I’m assuming the color change started right at the body line or was it below or above it

Thanks.  I did check that out

Also I’m assuming the color change started right at the body line or was it below or above it

Looking at the pics on the 429 Megasite, you can see that the paint line on the stripe cars was below the bodyline. If I were to guess on some numbers, it would be 3/8" below. The gap on the stripes should then be centered on the body line, giving you even paint exposure above and below.

I personally would use the stripe kit, as it guarantees a consistent paint line between the stripe and the lower blackout. I did one by hand with a roll of striping tape once and it takes a lot of patience.

So David, what you're saying is that they cranked these along the assembly line at full speed with little regard for detail. lol There are many examples of that occurring. The sales model back then was that cars were traded, sold, junked every few years so why bother with the fine details- time is money. Not the same now since robots are performing many of the tasks, and people expect their expensive vehicles to last 10 years and 200,000 miles minimum (as well they should).

Thanks.  I did check that out

Looking at the pics on the 429 Megasite, you can see that the paint line on the stripe cars was below the bodyline. If I were to guess on some numbers, it would be 3/8" below. The gap on the stripes should then be centered on the body line, giving you even paint exposure above and below.

I personally would use the stripe kit, as it guarantees a consistent paint line between the stripe and the lower blackout. I did one by hand with a roll of striping tape once and it takes a lot of patience.

Thanks Hemikiller

That’s kinda what I seen is that the body line is centered with the color

Back