Mach 1 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastfairlane

Reaction score
My Car
My daily 1998 Fairmont l6ohc sedan
Wifes daily 2003 Fairmont Ghia l6 twin cam sedan
Toys 66Thunderbird hard top still LHD and 72 Mustang convertible RHD for Australian conditions also makes it a bit easier to drive on OZ roads
Hi all

just a bit of info please

did a 72 Mach 1 ever come out in a convertible

Id like to put the stripes on mine

as I already have the grill in it

also any one know what colour the stripes came in

what about a rear spoiler did they come with them

thanks John

What Jeff said:).

A good way to think of it John is to recognize that there were SEPARATE versions of the Mustang built over the years. For the most part, they were Hardtops (Coupes), Grandes (a high end version of the Coupe), Convertibles, Sportsroofs (fastback or flatback), and the Mach 1s (a performance version of the Sportsroof).

There were also some other limited production versions SPECIAL vehicles such as the thirteen (13) 351 HOs that were installed in Convertibles in 1972.

As a dedicated Modifier, I say build what you like because it is YOUR Mustang:).

BT

As the posters above have said, there is no such animal as a Mach1 convertible.

Funny thing though: Here in Europe, people always refer to 71-73 Mustangs as Mach1s, whatever bodystyle they are. (The average Joe, that is. Mustang enthusiasts know the difference.)

Nobody ever thinks that a 69 could be a Mach1. For most people a Mach1 is a 71-73 and all the 71-73s are Mach1s. Weird......

Back to topic: It´s your car, there are no rules.

You want stripes, go ahead and put them on. I would not put any "Mach1" decals on it, but that´s just me......

Last edited by a moderator:
"and the Mach 1s (a performance version of the Sportsroof)."

Actually,the Mach 1 (for all years) was an appearance package since many of them came with 302 2bbl setups.

Bill,

I have to respectfully stand by my original statement.

Upon its introduction in 1969, the "Mach 1 SportsRoof was (cited as being) the performance-oriented Mustang." I submit that it carried that "image" along with the "Bosses" through the years.

It is true that over the years there were some changes from the base 351 2V engines that were in the 1969 Mach 1s. However, considering everything that happened in subsequent years, I would say that the Mach 1s (for a given year) were still performance-oriented Mustangs based on the standard options those cars received. Keep in mind that performance is NOT limited to engines or horsepower :).

SOURCE: "Mustang Recognition Guide 1965 - 1973"

BT

The spoiler was not an option ,from the factory on the Coupes and Verts,but in my opinion,it really" knocks one out of the park" with all of the stripes etc.....I just love the convertables with all of the stripes . I personally would not put the Mach 1 name on them.Ford just did not do it.

'

In 73 I think the 'Mach 1' grill was used in the Decor package when ordered on Convertibles. (Someone will correct me).

Build it how you want it. You like the Mach 1 grill, hood, stripes, spoiler or even the name, go for it! It's your car.

I just don't like when people try to pass off a non-Mach 1 as a 'Mach 1' when they are selling it. Buyer beware huh?

Bill,

I have to respectfully stand by my original statement.

Upon its introduction in 1969, the "Mach 1 SportsRoof was (cited as being) the performance-oriented Mustang." I submit that it carried that "image" along with the "Bosses" through the years.

It is true that over the years there were some changes from the base 351 2V engines that were in the 1969 Mach 1s. However, considering everything that happened in subsequent years, I would say that the Mach 1s (for a given year) were still performance-oriented Mustangs based on the standard options those cars received. Keep in mind that performance is NOT limited to engines or horsepower :).

SOURCE: "Mustang Recognition Guide 1965 - 1973"

BT
Okay, I'll agree. I'm also thinking no Mach ever came with a 6 cylinder engine.

I have 2 - 1973 Mach 1 sportsroof cars. Both are Mach I's by their VIN#, 3F05.

1st one is a Q code 351 CJ car, 3F05Q, correct with staggered shocks, deluxe Mach 1 Interior, pretty much all options, even power windows.

2nd one is an H code 351-2V car, 3F05H, pretty plane jane, no spoilers, std. interior, no guage package, a/c and power disc brakes.

I also have a 1973 Convertible, 3F03H, 351-2V, Deluxe interior with guages, a/c, power disk, power steer. most everything except power windows. It has the standard grille, not the deluxe honeycomb grille like the Mach I's

In 73 I think the 'Mach 1' grill was used in the Decor package when ordered on Convertibles. (Someone will correct me).

Build it how you want it. You like the Mach 1 grill, hood, stripes, spoiler or even the name, go for it! It's your car.

I just don't like when people try to pass off a non-Mach 1 as a 'Mach 1' when they are selling it. Buyer beware huh?
Your are correct about the Decor group including the honeycomb Mach 1 style grill. The decor group also included the black or argent lower bodyside paint with bright chrome moldings, wheel trim rings, and hub caps.

The black bodyside tape stripe was also an option on the convertibles.

Here is a link to that page in the 73 Mustang Brochure:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochuredisplay.cgi?year=1973&manuf=Ford&model=Mustang&smod=&page=7&scan=7

As a dedicated Modifier, I say build what you like because it is YOUR Mustang:).
What BT said, +1000.

For most people a Mach1 is a 71-73 and all the 71-73s are Mach1s. Weird......
People can be weird. I know a guy that insists on calling the 71-73's Mach 2's! I corrected him, but the next time I saw him it was "I saw a real nice Mach 2 the other day..."

LOL

Hi again

thanks for the input

I do like the stripes

but realize its not a Mach 1

and never will be

just looking at the 70 pamphlets

the Mach 1 didnt have the Mustang badge

on the front guard

so If I put on the stripes

the Mach 1 badge would have no where to go

also theres something missing on mine

some sort of full length chrome/alloy strip

under the door there are little mounting pins

all along there so I guess something is missing

there arent that many Mustangs here so its hard

to compare them side by side

thanks for your help

also here there a hell of a lot of mock up

GT Falcons

but unless you know what to look for

they look real

anyone can put a 351 Cleveland and a Top loader

and a 9 inch diff into a Falcon

but it doesnt make it a GT

the same with Mustangs

John in Australia

The 73's came out with a hockey stick stripe as a part of the decor group option in black or argent color. You could jazz the car up a little bit with stripes and painted rocker panels (minus the Mach 1 decals) and nobody could tell you convertibles didn't come out of the factory that way. I personally think your car would look great with the decor group striping on it.

1973_00087_07.jpg

I was looking to see if I had a decent side picture of my car when I first bought it but I couldn't find one.

Yes the pins you describe are for rocker panel chrome molding....nice thing is it's being reproduced( but not sure how good it is)

My vert came with the stripes, and the chrome molding wheel wells and rockers....I also have the decor interior but the regular egg carton front grill.

IN the end it's your car do it the way you want!

Here is a picture of the Decor Option trim moldings. I believe the molding you have are lower on the body than these.

These are the reproduction ones and am very happy with them. The only problem is that the Repo short one on the front fender did not match my original (wrong position) so the body shop buffed out the original and used them. Could be difference between Sportsroofs and coupes/converts (I need to start a thread on this difference).

DSCF9278.jpg

I'm with those that say to build it the way you want it. I find it a little annoying when people think my car is a Mach 1, but I personally prefer the coupe's lines. If you don't care and like the Mach 1 badges use them (it won't be any stranger than a Dodge Superbee pickup).

Tim

Back