Mach 1 exterior trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelinf

Reaction score
My Car
Used to own a 72 Gold Glow Mach 1 with 351 2bbl and Ginger Deluxe interior......Oh god I miss that car :(
Hey all

Quick question here. If a 1972 mach 1 has the exterior stainless trim between the color and flat black on the lower body, are there any instances where there is NO trim on the quarters or front fenders? Only between the front and rear wheels? I had a Mach 1 with deluxe interior and the stainless trim ran the length of the car. I dont think ive seen it any other way. Anyone else know different? Thanks

My 72 also has the trim instead of the hockey-sticks, and it does indeed run the whole length of the car.

if your mach 1 didn't have the hockey stripes then it got the stainless which went from the front to the back on the valance.

fenders and doors can be swapped out so you could lose the trim that way. If the rear quarters were replaced then the trim in the back could be lost as well.

the front stainless on the front of the fenders just sits between the lower valance and the fenders with 3 bolts holding it sandwiched together. the back of the fenders and doors use clips to hold the stainless on with a couple of bind nuts so there is punched holes in the sheetmetal. the rear quarters also have punched holes and use clips and blind nuts.

usually you see a car that has the front stainless missing and just the quarters and lower rear valance have the stainless trim, that is because somebody swapped doors and fenders.

once i saw a car that had the quarter stainless trim missing because they cut the quarters out replaced them and never drilled new holes for the stainless trim so it just had it over the front half of the car.

sometimes a body shop will mud over the holes and then sand and paint the entire area.

if your mach 1 didn't have the hockey stripes then it got the stainless which went from the front to the back on the valance.

fenders and doors can be swapped out so you could lose the trim that way. If the rear quarters were replaced then the trim in the back could be lost as well.

the front stainless on the front of the fenders just sits between the lower valance and the fenders with 3 bolts holding it sandwiched together. the back of the fenders and doors use clips to hold the stainless on with a couple of bind nuts so there is punched holes in the sheetmetal. the rear quarters also have punched holes and use clips and blind nuts.

usually you see a car that has the front stainless missing and just the quarters and lower rear valance have the stainless trim, that is because somebody swapped doors and fenders.

once i saw a car that had the quarter stainless trim missing because they cut the quarters out replaced them and never drilled new holes for the stainless trim so it just had it over the front half of the car.

sometimes a body shop will mud over the holes and then sand and paint the entire area.
Thanks guys.

I was looking at a car on ebay and I just know that not having the stainless trim behind the rear wheels is incorrect.

Take a look. Tell me what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mach-I-/190851852686?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&forcev4exp=true

hard to tell if somebody didn't just pull off the trim or not. the quarters inside the trunk looks like somebody spray bombed it with undercoat.

the rear has definitely been messed with, but the pictures are not clear enough for me to say for certain how much.

my car is/was totally wrong as well. it was repainted with hockey stripes and they left the stainless trim mounts on the rockers then filled it in with a push in Black type of tape with rubber cover instead of the stainless. so it was hard to see in the original photos of the car when i bought it because it blended into the lower black out paint.

it should be noted: the stainless trim on our cars isn't actaully stainless. Its aluminum with what they call bright dip coating.

Basically they take the trim, Shine it up then dip it into a very thick plastic type clear coat.

over time the coating peels off, yellows, wears off and the aluminum stains and corrodes.

if you shine it back up it will not hold its luster and by the next day the aluminum will have oxidized on the surface and dulled.

Bright coating is a big deal to do right and you usually have to go to a special shop that shines stainless and knows about bright dipping metal.

on the convertibles they do have a stainless trim that goes on the front windshield top and sides. that stainless can be shined up.

for the rest of the car and fastbacks and coupes they all got the Bright dip aluminum, so far only a few of the aluminum trim pieces have been reproduced.

it is possible to buy the belt line trim which is what they call that lower trim on our cars. the problem is your original underlayment pieces have to be in good shape since they only sell the aluminum covers that slide over the underlayment. the trim is very expensive, and the repops are VERY thin and bend easy.

Hey 72HCODE,

Are you saying that Mach 1s that have stainless trim didn't come factory with the hockey stripes?! There are Mach 1s without hockey stripes but have fender markings and trunk stripe/badging?!?!

Mine has the little tabs along the door for the "stainless" trim. Also there is a weird-ish gap between the lower valance and the DS fender. Makes me wonder now!

That ebay Mach 1 has a lot more missing than just the quarter trim. :D

Mine came to me missing the trim on the fenders, leaving me to guess that new fenders (or repairs) had been done and the trim was damaged or lost.

Speaking of: mdan575, did you receive that package? Were you able to use the part you needed?

Minor detail: Mach 1s could not come with a "deluxe" interior, only the standard or the optional "Mach 1" interior.

Consequently, no other model could be optioned with a "Mach 1" interior. Gives our Machs a tiny bit of exclusivity.

That ebay Mach 1 has a lot more missing than just the quarter trim. :D

Mine came to me missing the trim on the fenders, leaving me to guess that new fenders (or repairs) had been done and the trim was damaged or lost.

Speaking of: mdan575, did you receive that package? Were you able to use the part you needed?

Sorry got it and had pieces soaking in rust remover stuff. Then I took some steel wool and polish to the first piece. Installed it the other night. Turned out very nice IMO. Thank you again. Plan is to do the other pieces as I work through them the same way. I am sure someone else will be in the same boat as me and could use a piece.

Sad part is I had to use a rubber mallet to install the piece and it really doesn't come off easy. It takes some work to get them off. Which partially confirms my suspicions that some one pulled it off the car when I wasn't looking.

Far as the trim you either got the trim or stripes from the factory but not both. I have seen both on cars and my understanding was the dealer or owner installed them later.

0728130911.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Minor detail: Mach 1s could not come with a "deluxe" interior, only the standard or the optional "Mach 1" interior.

Consequently, no other model could be optioned with a "Mach 1" interior. Gives our Machs a tiny bit of exclusivity.
I think your wrong..My 72 Mach 05 vin Has the deluxe interior confirmed by the marti report & the original dealer window invoice...I had posted up a picture sometime ago of the invoice..

I don't believe there is an actual Mach 1 Interior trim package. The "Mach 1" designation is part of the VIN (05), and could be loaded up with a myriad of options and trim packages. The Deluxe Interior was an option that was, by default, part of the overall Mach 1 package - i.e., if the VIN had "05" as the body style, it was getting the Deluxe Interior, along with things like the urethane front bumper, honeycomb grill w/sport lights, and honeycomb taillight panel trim.

The Deluxe Interior, just like other things (3-gauge pod, center console, tachometer cluster, power windows & locks, etc.) could be ordered and added to any model as options.

I think your wrong..My 72 Mach 05 vin Has the deluxe interior confirmed by the marti report & the original dealer window invoice...I had posted up a picture sometime ago of the invoice..
I don't put a lot of faith in Marti reports...I've seen several that were incorrect over the years.

The "Deluxe" interior basically consisted of full comfortweave seats, molded door panels, camera-case w/ bright trim dash panels and a few other items.

The "Mach 1" interior was nearly identical with the exceptions of the Mach-1 style 3-tone seat upholstery and the molded and sewn-in pony floor mat "runners".

I have the ordering guides for 71-73 and they all show that the "Deluxe" was not an option for Mach 1s.

Now you say yours is original that way, and that surely may be so...lots of seemingly "wrong" combinations have been shown over the years to be far more common than thought originally.

You said it was on your original window sticker...I'd really like to see that if you could post it.

The standard Mach 1 most definitely did NOT come with the "Deluxe" interior in any way,shape or form.

The basic, standard Mach 1 in 1971 was actually not a very inclusive package.

These are the only things extra that a mach 1 had over a basic sportsroof in 71:

1) 302 2-v V8 (210 hp)

2) Front color-keyed spoiler bumper

3) Honeycomb grill w/ sportlamps

4) Hood w/ NASA-type scoops (No charge option on 302 equipped cars, standard equipment on 351-2v and larger equipped cars)

5) Color-keyed racing mirrors

6) Racing-style pop-open fuel cap

7) Honeycomb texture lower back panel

8) Rear tape stripe

9) Fender and decklid "mach 1" appliques

10) Competition suspension

As you can see, the Mach 1 only included exterior styling enhancements and a slight improvement in the suspension/steering. Minimal interior upgrades on a standard Mach 1.

In 71, the basic Mach 1 Mustang came equipped with the standard interior: All vinyl seats, flat door panels, smooth dash panels, mini-consolette (as opposed to the optional full-length console), no 3-gauge panel in the center stack (just a "mach 1" badge there) and the deluxe 2-spoke sterring wheel (A step above the standard Pinto-style 2-spoke wheel standard in coupes, converts and sportsroofs).

In 1971, on a Mach 1 Mustang, the "Mach 1 Sports Interior" was a $130 option.

Last edited:

I don't put a lot of faith in Marti reports...I've seen several that were incorrect over the years.

The "Deluxe" interior basically consisted of full comfortweave seats, molded door panels, camera-case w/ bright trim dash panels and a few other items.

The "Mach 1" interior was nearly identical with the exceptions of the Mach-1 style 3-tone seat upholstery and the molded and sewn-in pony floor mat "runners".

I have the ordering guides for 71-73 and they all show that the "Deluxe" was not an option for Mach 1s.

Now you say yours is original that way, and that surely may be so...lots of seemingly "wrong" combinations have been shown over the years to be far more common than thought originally.

You said it was on your original window sticker...I'd really like to see that if you could post it.

The standard Mach 1 most definitely did NOT come with the "Deluxe" interior in any way,shape or form.

The basic, standard Mach 1 in 1971 was actually not a very inclusive package.

These are the only things extra that a mach 1 had over a basic sportsroof in 71:

1) 302 2-v V8 (210 hp)

2) Front color-keyed spoiler bumper

3) Honeycomb grill w/ sportlamps

4) Hood w/ NASA-type scoops (No charge option on 302 equipped cars, standard equipment on 351-2v and larger equipped cars)

5) Color-keyed racing mirrors

6) Racing-style pop-open fuel cap

7) Honeycomb texture lower back panel

8) Rear tape stripe

9) Fender and decklid "mach 1" appliques

10) Competition suspension

As you can see, the Mach 1 only included exterior styling enhancements and a slight improvement in the suspension/steering. Minimal interior upgrades on a standard Mach 1.

In 71, the basic Mach 1 Mustang came equipped with the standard interior: All vinyl seats, flat door panels, smooth dash panels, mini-consolette (as opposed to the optional full-length console), no 3-gauge panel in the center stack (just a "mach 1" badge there) and the deluxe 2-spoke sterring wheel (A step above the standard Pinto-style 2-spoke wheel standard in coupes, converts and sportsroofs).

In 1971, on a Mach 1 Mustang, the "Mach 1 Sports Interior" was a $130 option.
Maybe I'm confused but it was my impression the sports interior option is the deluxe interior..I also own another mach 1 & that car has the plain interior...The sports interior option gave you the deluxe door panels..gauges..tach..full console..camera case finish on the dash glove box..Lets put the marti report to the side..I have more faith in the emminger sheet.Keep in mind too we are talking 1972 cars not 71 or 73 I agree the STANDARD MACH 1 DIDN'T COME with the deluxe interior..but you made it sound as if it couldn't be had at least thats how I read it..101_0374.JPG101_0375.JPG

Yes, you are close buf just a little confused. The deluxe interior and the mach 1 interior are similar, but the mach 1 interior has some specific content exclusive to the mach 1.

Most obvious is the seat upholstery. The optional mach 1-style seat trim could only be had in a mach 1. Not even a BOSS 351 could be had with the mach 1-style seats. I have seen plenty of restored BOSS 351s over the years that have mach 1 seats in it, and the owners either claim it came that way, or could have if ordered that way. Nope.

The BOSS came wjth stsndard all-vinyl trim, with the full comfort-weave "deluxe" as the only option.

Also, the "Mach 1" sports interior had slightly different prices depending on what engine and other options you had.

Both 429s came with the tach and 3-gauge panel as part of that option. The "Mach 1" interior included those gsuges too, they they discounted it a bit on the 429 cars.

An odd-ball combinafion is to order a 71 mach 1 with a 351-2v, the full length console, but wjthout the mach 1 interior. This would give you an interior with all vinyl seats, and a console with no clock in the console. Instead there is a clock block-off plate that says "Mach 1" on it. Very rare piece.

Why is that?

The mach 1 had a clock as standard equipment, but not the full length console. So, there was a round clock in one of the dash pods.

Ordering the mach 1(interior gave you the full gauges and tach, but at a slight discount as there no place for a clock.which had to be deleted. Ordering the console restored the clock to the console.

May I ask you what the DSO on yourcar is?

Last edited:
May I ask you what the DSO on yourcar is?
I'm going to look into this further..I forgot to add that the deluxe interior also had the comfort weave 2 tone front seats & color keyed inserts in the carpet...I guess the real question to ask is the sports interior option=deluxe interior ?

My q-code car dso is Detroit

The mach 1 had a clock as standard equipment, but not the full length console. So, there was a round clock in one of the dash pods.

Ordering the mach 1(interior gave you the full gauges and tach, but at a slight discount as there no place for a clock.which had to be deleted. Ordering the console restored the clock to the console.
My '71 H-code Mach 1 came with the clock/speedo (non-tach) cluster, full gauges, and zero (nothing, nada, not even the 'mini') console - just the automatic shifter indicator bezel screwed right to the floor. It also apparently didn't have the 'Mach 1' carpet (only had a single vinyl insert in the driver side carpet - not so much on the passenger side). Therefore, the data you have is a little skewed regarding 'Mach 1' interior trim.

Then again, it also came with Ram-Air and factory dual exhaust cut-out rear valance, which was supposed to be impossible as well on a lowly H-code. No staggered shocks or rear sway bar either (which is also believed to be part of the Mach 1 package).

Which all leads me to believe there were no definitive absolutes when it came to what was and was not possible to come with these cars. One can't sit there and say, "It wasn't possible," when the evidence that it happened is right there, is all I'm saying. ;) There are too many units sold bounced against limited options to not have occasional anomalies.

In the simplest way possible, the answer is: No

The "Deluxe" interior and the "Mach 1 Sports Interior" were two seperate options. The deluxe had full comfort-weave seats, while the sports interior had the smooth vinyl/pebble-grain vinyl seats with comfort-weave center inserts. The sports interior also has the full length front carpet "runners".

Both pieces of your own paperwork you posted even list the sports interior, with no mention of any "deluxe" description. What is it that leads you to believe you have a "deluxe" interior?

Nole, not skewed. Your car sounds "correct". Since your car did not have the optional interior, you should not have the caepet runners, nust a little ribbed heel pad on the drivers side.

As for the console ALL Mustangs came standard with mini-consolette. In lieu of the optional full length console, your car should have the small standard console. No RPO 71-73 Mustang was deliveted with a bare shifter quandrant on the floor without at least the mini-console.

As for the driveline, the 351 2V "H" code was the ONLY engine available with ram-air in 72. So that is ckrrect for your car.

Staggered shocks and rear sway bar were only included on 4-V cars, even WITH the so-called "competition suspension".Again, this is correct that your 2-V car does not have those.

Also, all 4-V cars required the competition suspension (including staggered shocks and rear sway bar) as a mandatory option. It already in the "Mach 1" equipment list, but not other models, so ordering a 4-V engine in a non Mach 1 required the mandatory competition suspension option.

However, the dual exhaust with cutouts and chrome tips is definitely an anomoly. That should not have been available on an "H" code car. What is your evidence that it came that way from the factory?

Last edited:
In the simplest way possible, the answer is: No

The "Deluxe" interior and the "Mach 1 Sports Interior" were two seperate options. The deluxe had full comfort-weave seats, while the sports interior had the smooth vinyl/pebble-grain vinyl seats with comfort-weave center inserts. The sports interior also has the full length front carpet "runners".

Both pieces of your own paperwork you posted even list the sports interior, with no mention of any "deluxe" description. What is it that leads you to believe you have a "deluxe" interior?
Based on what your saying, than I don't have a deluxe interior what I do have is a sports option interior..Thanks for clarifying..I had thought sports option =deluxe..So thats what led me to believe I had a deluxe interior..Very informative for sure.

Latest posts

Back