Mach1 Stripes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Did all Mach1's with the hockey stick stripes come with the rockers blacked out? I've seen some with and some without the lower blacked out rockers? Just wondering what the norm was?

Could be ordered with or without lower black out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know! The new Mach1 doesn't have the blacked out lower, just the hockey sticks!

Question, my 72 came with Argent silver stripes and 4Q Dark green metallic paint. I was just wondering if anybody knows if black stripes would have been available with that same color 4Q paint. Did the color paint dictate what color stripes you could order?

Could be ordered with or without lower black out.

From what I understand, for 1971 and 1972 Mach 1's all the lower body panels were either black or argent.  Most did not come with the side tape stripes (hockey sticks).

For 1973 Mach 1's there was no lower body paint applied. 

Ray

mrmach1,

Body-color did mandate the accent paint and tape stripe color applied at the assembly plant. 71-72 Mach 1's lower accent color was standard. Since the 73 Mach 1 had a new style side tape stripe it no longer had the lower accent paint treatment. The lower accent paint color could still be ordered with the Decor Group option on other models.  All Mach 1's received black paint and tape stripes except for the following exterior paint codes which received argent:

1971...A (Black),  C (Dark Green Metallic, J (Grabber Blue), 6 (Bright Blue Metallic)

1972...4Q (Dark Green Metallic), 4C (Ivy Glow), 3J (Bright Blue Metallic), 3F ( Grabber Blue)

1973...3K (Blue Glow), 4Q (Dark Green Metallic), 4C (Ivy Glow)    :)

to add to Secluff's post...

In 1971, the tape stripe was optional only for the Mach 1

In '72, you could only get a tape stripe on a Mach 1, hardtop or convertible. On the hardtop or convertible, you had to also option the Decor group which included the lower body accent paint.

In '73, you could get the stripe only on the hardtop or convertible. The Decor group was again a required option.

So, if you see a car with tape stripes and no lower body accent paint, it's technically not correct.

Or another way to get black stripes on a 4Q car is to change to a lighter color like I did! Lol....just kidding. My car was already changed to yellow when I bought it. Your car is looking great! Glad to see you’re still hanging around here Frank.

delawarebill,

The only production installed side stripes I'm aware of is the Grande pinstripes, 71-73 hockey stick, and 73 Mach 1 stripes.  Graphic Express does offer a no-name 73 Mach 1 style side stripe that can be ordered black, argent, or custom color.  All the Ford OE stripes have a matte finish. 

https://www.graphic-express.com/1973-base-model-mustang-side-stripe-kit.html  

I hope this is the type of stripe you were referencing to!    :)

secloff, I like that one. now being matte if u wax it does it get messed up.. they also have gloss but 40 bucks more. i'm getting the hood done in base/clear gloss. I like the gloss on hood but I feel the gloss on the side would look cheap... opinions anyone..

Wax does not mess with the tape stripes only the black out paint. When I wax my car I go right over the stripes. You just need to use a soft brush or use fingernail and micro fiber cloth to clean the edges to keep the white off. You should not have to wax a car but every few years. If you do not wash the wax stays on and no need to add more.

secloff, I like that one. now being matte if  u wax it does it get messed up.. they also have gloss but 40 bucks more. i'm getting the hood done in base/clear gloss. I like the gloss on hood but I feel the gloss on the side would look cheap... opinions anyone..
This pic is when I had my hood gloss with the gloss stripes. The stripes were fine, but the the gloss hood was way to bright. It was really annoying from the sun glare, and I mean unbelievably annoying! I didn’t have much trouble with waxing the stripes. A big pita to remove it from the edges though. I never wash my car, so the wax does stay on for a long time. Plus the guy I bought the car from did the hood pattern wrong (of course).

delawarebill,

Yes, Ford actually had a purpose to the flat colors on the hood.  There was flattening agent in the Argent and the Black for glare control.  Now sure why they were able to go gloss on the non Ram-Air cars that did not have the hood treatment.

kcmash

Back