Magnum 500's: OEM vs repro...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were actually 3 different sizes of center caps for magnums, but only two of them were ever factory-installed on '71 Mustangs.

The taller 1" caps were installed on the early 71 wheels, while the shorter 5/8" caps went on later '71 wheels.

The tall "shot glass' size cap was a genereic "Magnum 500"-emblemed cap that came with the wheels when bought as aftermarket accesories. I think this cap was also use on some of the GM and Chrylser versions of the wheels.

The pic of the original Magnum in the first post shows the tall, original cap and the later shorter caps are shown in the next two pics.

Kit, I have to respectfully disagree.

I think you have it backwards.

The 429 megasite explains the caps as I know to be correct. My late 72 production convertible runs the taller caps with the original 15" Magnums.

The wheels I sourced for my Boss are the more thin type with the different (smaller sized center hole) in those Magnums.

"These are (two) center caps used on the (1971-1972) Magnum 500 wheels. There were two versions - a tall and a short. The short 5/8" high caps (at left) were used from the start of the '71 model year until 4/2/71. Starting on 4/2/71, the caps changed to the taller 1" high versions (at right).

Also note that the center hole diameter of the Magnums changed coincident with this cap change. The short caps were used with the early 2" hole Magnums and the tall caps were used with the later 2 1/8" center hole Magnums."

I am not sure which size center hole repop Magnums utilize???

To summarize - For 71 and 72 Magnums there are two versions - one wheel with a 2" center hole accepting the 5/8" caps and after 4/2/71 the Magnums had a 2 1/8" center hole acepting the larger 1" tall caps.

Ray

This is a good info about the Repo and the original.... Now it's Right that the Repos are bad I can see mine are Not good made [emoji20] Have bind doing some polishing on the 2 off them.. Because off a little rust in them... They have bind spray whit ww40 every winter... Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

are mine oem or repops?

just trying to determine, cuz I'm selling them and several guys have asked if they are oem or repops....I have no idea/clue.

thanks.

another pic

20150227_120449.jpg

20150227_121004.jpg

20150227_121102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
are mine oem or repops?

just trying to determine, cuz I'm selling them and several guys have asked if they are oem or repops....I have no idea/clue.

thanks.

another pic
Those are all originals. Are they all 15" ?

Originals will have valve stem on the second vertical 'step' of the wheel. (like you see in your pics)

The spokes on originals are a satin finish - not shiny chrome as with the repops.

Ray

are mine oem or repops?

thanks.

another pic
Those are all originals. Are they all 15" ?

Originals will have valve stem on the second vertical 'step' of the wheel. (like you see in your pics)

The spokes on originals are a satin finish - not shiny chrome as with the repops.

Ray

Fronts are 14

Rears are 15

:-/

I know...will be hard to sell

Without getting too heavy on date codes and part numbers - the 15 inch ones are correct for our years.

If you have time, can you provide the measurement of the center holes on the 15" wheels?

Ray

Those rims are originals, but not matched. Unfortunately, the condition of the finish and the fact that they are severely bent/ deformed dinks thier value quite a bit. They will need 100% refurbishment...not cheap.

I would guess $50-$80 for the set as-is, but who knows?

Personally, I like the "Wheel Vintiques" repops better than the originals for several reasons:

1) they are constructed with full-length welds( modern standards) and are safer

2) the chrome plating is far better than the cloudy chrome on OEM units.

3) the "clamp" marks used for dipping the rims in the chroming solutions are very visible on every OEM rim I have ever seen. Not so on the repops

5) the "spokes" are full chrome on the repops, not the "brushed" finish like the OEM units. I like it better...more "sparkly"!

6) they come in a better selection of widths than OEM units.

There is one aspect of the OEMs I like better: the first flat "step" on the rim looks a little better than the repops. Not a deal-breaker for me though.

I have had my repops on for at least 15 years now with no rust or flaking issues. But I also keep them clean, dry and garaged. Not sure about thier full-use daily-driver durability.

Kit - what size is the center hole on your Wheel Vintiques and which size caps are you using? I do remember you personalizing the caps' emblems to match your car.

I am curious if the repops have the 2 inch center hole or the larger? And which caps are available?

Your wheels holding up well is probably directly associated to them being well cared for.

I know it is a hassle but I really appreciate it. This should help clear up a lot about the original vs. repop wheels.

Thanks!

Ray

Ok for what little I know about wheels. We made beer kegs where I worked and use the same equipment to roll the ribs into the kegs that they used to make rims. I watched video of them making rims. They would roll form up a band, seam weld it, grind smooth and put in roller form machine that was hydraulic. It cost very little to make the form rollers a few hundred dollars per set and you program the machine and wala you form the rim. Now the center with the brushed finish was probably copper plated the brushed and the chrome only protects what is under it if it is brushed copper it comes out brushed on top.

I just bought a 72 that came with 500's but I have not looked at them to know it they are oem or repo. Now I know what to look for. Who does chrome work on them? Everyone I have asked says no they do not do wheels. Hydrogen embrittlement is one reason, afraid of law suit in future.

Were the originals plated and then welded together? It would be a lot easier to plate & polish that way for sure. Getting an even coat with all the ups and downs would be tough.

I will have to look at wheels tomorrow the snow is almost melted here, hurray.

David

Ok so I had to know so I went out and it is raining again. Mine are original with the brushed centers. I will have to pull them off and check the date codes but I do know they are rusty and need re plated. I do not know if they came on the car do not have a marti for it.

David

The center holes on my repops are 2 1/8", and I have the matching ( short) repop center caps.

David,

Here is what the markings should look like on your wheels...can't see with tire mounted though.

Also, you should order a standard Marti on your car as there only $15.

fjnb6w.jpg

Those rims are originals, but not matched. Unfortunately, the condition of the finish and the fact that they are severely bent/ deformed dinks thier value quite a bit. They will need 100% refurbishment...not cheap.

I would guess $50-$80 for the set as-is, but who knows?

Personally, I like the "Wheel Vintiques" repops better than the originals for several reasons:

1) they are constructed with full-length welds( modern standards) and are safer

2) the chrome plating is far better than the cloudy chrome on OEM units.

3) the "clamp" marks used for dipping the rims in the chroming solutions are very visible on every OEM rim I have ever seen. Not so on the repops

5) the "spokes" are full chrome on the repops, not the "brushed" finish like the OEM units. I like it better...more "sparkly"!

6) they come in a better selection of widths than OEM units.

There is one aspect of the OEMs I like better: the first flat "step" on the rim looks a little better than the repops. Not a deal-breaker for me though.

I have had my repops on for at least 15 years now with no rust or flaking issues. But I also keep them clean, dry and garaged. Not sure about thier full-use daily-driver durability.
no doubt they need to be refurb. But I'm sure there is someone out there who wants originals and NOT china made repops.

yeah...was hoping to get a hundy for them. we'll see.

got tires off

look to be originals...no chinese repops

heard someone say that magnums only came in 15", I have 14" for front

20150306_125046.jpg

20150306_125024.jpg

20150306_121912.jpg

got tires off

I guess I should get these off the car sitting outside until I can get garage finished. They look to be orig. what do you experts think? Never had a car with 500s and just been reading all the likes and dislikes. These are on a 72 Q vert I bought in Dec.. There were some caps in the parts bins with it but don't have one handy. Need to get a Marti to see if they came on the car.

David

got tires off

I guess I should get these off the car sitting outside until I can get garage finished. They look to be orig. what do you experts think? Never had a car with 500s and just been reading all the likes and dislikes. These are on a 72 Q vert I bought in Dec.. There were some caps in the parts bins with it but don't have one handy. Need to get a Marti to see if they came on the car.

David
15 inch? They are original magnums and if they are indeed 15 inch they would be correct for either 1971 or 1972 Mustangs, depending on the size of the center hole and Magnums being listed on the invoice/Marti.

Quick give aways on repops - location of valve stem on wheel and then shiney vs satin finish (original) for the spokes.

Ray

Back