Malwood clutch master with Hydramax hydraulic release bearing? Will it work

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
We put a kit in with the Hydramax hydraulic clutch system. The master has failed. The linkage arrangement was quite difficult to set up and there is certainly the possibility that we did it wrong. The linkage from the pedal to the master is awkward in my view. After buying it, we became aware of the Malwood master that is attached to the pedal. It looks like a far easier install and since I doubt we can ever get the Hydramax rebuilt and installed correctly, I would like to heave it and replace it with the Malwood. My son, of course just wants the car back on the road. I would be unbelievably thrilled to not have to drop the transmission and swap out the release bearing, hence the desire to retain the Hydramax release bearing.

Has anyone done this? Did it work or was it yet another hideous nightmare? There is always the mechanical clutch from MDL which I have heard good things about, but would require changing the release bearing. Since we have no lift, this would be a colossal pain. Personally, I do like a hydraulic clutch better. I don't know how much effort the mechanical one takes, but I always liked driving cars with hydraulic clutches better. They felt smoother and were usually less effort.

Overall, I really wish we had gone with the MDL kit despite the lack of a hydraulic clutch, but I suspect my son would have his daily driver and I would not be futzing with a rental for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

See Robsweden's post below in the listings.
It looks like a pretty good setup as long as the clutch pedal bushings have not already been upgraded to bearings. That would need some extra work.

It was an automatic and we put in the Scott Drake kit for the bearings. Argh. Sounds like that means more work.

I did and waiting for call back. IT would still make me feel warm and fuzzy if I talking to someone who has actually made it work!

Back