Manual Valve Body with Stock Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
As some of you may recall, I have installed a 706HP/736Tq 545 CI motor in my '73 Mustang.  I have also installed a Broader 1000HP C6 and am currently trying to work all the linkage issues associated with using a stock shifter. I purchased the transmission several years ago and it currently has a manual valve body. The car most recently had a 428SCj/Toploader combination and quite frankly I like the idea of controlling the shifts without having to deal with a clutch. The manual valve body approach with the C6 appeals to me on some levels.

Question for you  racers or modifyers: Are any of you running a manual valve body with the stock shifter?  If so, how do you like it on the street? Any MAJOR problems with the lack of "lock out" for a given gear?

Since the Broader transmission did not have the transmission shift lever installed (there are so many different applications and Broader noted that most folks run after market cables), I have had to find a source for all of the different C6 linkage parts. This was a chore but I have been able to do so and would hate to NOT use the stock shifter, at this point. I have dropped the pan and have the valve body out right now in order to install the stock shift lever, so this would be a good time to change the manual valve body if I decide not to use it.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

BT

Sounds like you'll have a handful!

I think the issue with the stock shifter and a manual valve body is the lack of detents in the pattern as you are going up through the gears. Its easy to bump the handle and move it when you don't want it to move...

It has been many moons since I had a manual valve body auto, I used an aftermarket ratchet shifter mainly because I didn't have any of the OE parts...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the issue with the stock shifter and a manual valve body is the lack of detents in the pattern as you are going up through the gears. Its easy to bump the handle and move it when you don't want it to move...

It has been many moons since I had a manual valve body auto, I used an aftermarket ratchet shifter mainly because I didn't have any of the OE parts...
Yes, those OE parts were definitely difficult to source but I actually have sources now for the individual parts.

Bobby (Competition Carburetors in NV) who did the modifications on my 1000HP carburetor advised against using a ratchet shifter with the manual valve body.  Did you have any major issues using the ratchet shifter when you had the manual valve body?

As an aside, I was looking at changing the manual valve body out but unfortunately I purchased the transmission (new) from a forum member on the 460 Ford forum years ago who had gotten it from Broader and Broader is unable to give me specifics on whether the valve body is a "regular" manual one or has a reverse pattern without tearing into it.  Jay at Broader also advised that just swapping out the valve body for an automatic one would entail tearing into the transmission as there are a number of parts he removes when building the full manual valve bodied transmission that would need to be replaced, i.e., governor, tubes, modulator, etc., so I might just pressed on with what I have.

By the way, are you (or others reading this post) using an after market shifter, now)?  If so, which one and are you also using the original Mustang console?

Thanks!

~BT

Yes, those OE parts were definitely difficult to source but I actually have sources now for the individual parts.

Bobby (Competition Carburetors in NV) who did the modifications on my 1000HP carburetor advised against using a ratchet shifter with the manual valve body.  Did you have any major issues using the ratchet shifter when you had the manual valve body?

As an aside, I was looking at changing the manual valve body out but unfortunately I purchased the transmission (new) from a forum member on the 460 Ford forum years ago who had gotten it from Broader and Broader is unable to give me specifics on whether the valve body is a "regular" manual one or has a reverse pattern without tearing into it.  Jay at Broader also advised that just swapping out the valve body for an automatic one would entail tearing into the transmission as there are a number of parts he removes when building the full manual valve bodied transmission that would need to be replaced, i.e., governor, tubes, modulator, etc., so I might just pressed on with what I have.

By the way, are you (or others reading this post) using an after market shifter, now)?  If so, which one and are you also using the original Mustang console?

Thanks!

~BT
I have been using an aftermarket ratchet shifter on my car with a full manual reverse pattern valve body for 15 years.  I don't know why you would want to try without a ratchet shifter.  You will slip it into the next gear to easily with the stock shifter.

Thanks!

~BT
I have been using an aftermarket ratchet shifter on my car with a full manual reverse pattern valve body for 15 years.  I don't know why you would want to try without a ratchet shifter.  You will slip it into the next gear to easily with the stock shifter.
Which shifter are you using?

...and Yes, I realize one can slip the transmission easily into the next gear with the stock shifter which is why I am trying to do my due diligence. 

I have come to understand from one of the transmission "gurus"/racers on another site that the stock shifter works great with the reverse pattern valve body since "D" becomes 1st gear and you simply pull down as you go through the other two forward gears.

I also understand that you can put a weld at the detent between "neutral" and "Reverse' which will act sort of like a lockout or stop.

Please keep the observations coming y'all.

~BT

You can modify your stock detent plate or build yourself a new one so that each position of the lever locking tab sits in a notch rather than on an open-ended slide.

You can modify your stock detent plate or build yourself a new one so that each position of the lever locking tab sits in a notch rather than on an open-ended slide.
That sounds like another GREAT approach, Don!

Thanks!!

~BT

Thanks!

~BT
I agree. I have been using an aftermarket B&M ratchet shifter in my car for 13 years or more. It has never missed a beat. My valve body was also built by Broader. They are good guys and know their stuff. It would be very hard to not miss a gear or accidently go into N/R when shifting fast or hard with the stock shifter. I am using a B&M Star shifter in my car. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80675?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-b-m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4uAvdaO2gIVB7bACh18DgPjEAQYASABEgKlo_D_BwE

I am using the stock long console, but I did modify the cover plate and hole to look a little nicer. I think it turned out pretty good.

Thanks!

~BT
I agree. I have been using an aftermarket B&M ratchet shifter in my car for 13 years or more. It has never missed a beat. My valve body was also built by Broader. They are good guys and know their stuff. It would be very hard to not miss a gear or accidently go into N/R when shifting fast or hard with the stock shifter. I am using a B&M Star shifter in my car. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80675?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-b-m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4uAvdaO2gIVB7bACh18DgPjEAQYASABEgKlo_D_BwE

I am using the stock long console, but I did modify the cover plate and hole to look a little nicer. I think it turned out pretty good.

Kevin,

THAT does look really nice!

Do you have the Reverse Valve Body? Refresh my memory please...what are the specs on your engine/transmission?

Thanks!

~BT

Kevin,

THAT does look really nice!

Do you have the Reverse Valve Body? Refresh my memory please...what are the specs on your engine/transmission?

Thanks!

~BT
Motor is a 408 Cleveland Stroker, approx. 575-600HP

Trans is a ford C4 Not a reverse valve body but built by Broader. And a 3000 stall converter.

Thanks!

~BT
Which shifter are you using?

...and Yes, I realize one can slip the transmission easily into the next gear with the stock shifter which is why I am trying to do my due diligence. 

I have come to understand from one of the transmission "gurus"/racers on another site that the stock shifter works great with the reverse pattern valve body since "D" becomes 1st gear and you simply pull down as you go through the other two forward gears.

I also understand that you can put a weld at the detent between "neutral" and "Reverse' which will act sort of like a lockout or stop.

Please keep the observations coming y'all.

~BT
I run the B&M Hammer shifter.  I used to run the megashifter in another car with a full manual valve body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back