map light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
I have a 73 fastback mach 1 in the center dash i found that the map light is missing. I bought the map light lens but learned that i need the map light bezel which is impossible to find.

1 Is this the one i miss or whats suppose to be there, because i dont find any wiring to that place?

2 Anyone got a good picture of how it should look?

center dash1.jpg

You will need the map light assembly (D1WB-15650-AA).  See attached pictures.  These are a tough item to find.  I do believe that one of the members of this site has reproduced a copy.  Their name escapes me right now.  Maybe another member can jump in here with this info.

Good Luck!

Mac

21May29_Map Light Pic 1.JPG

21May29_Map Light Pic 2.JPG

21May29_Map Light Pic 3.JPG

21May29_Map Light Pic 4.JPG

21May29_Map Light Pic 5.JPG

Hi nursieee,

Your correct the map light assembly is hard to find. You might look and see if your actually wired for one? Before you go on the journey to find one. Ill attach a couple of pics for your viewing. I have made one in the past and it did turn out well 2nd pic. You do see them on ebay from time to time. But they know what there worth and ask at least that much if not more.

console map light.jpg

map light.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The map light is powered by the convenience group wiring harness.  If you have under dash lamps, a parking brake lamp, and a glove box light and seat latch release solenoids, you have a convenience group wiring harness.  If you don't have these things, you will need to do some work.

Several members have been searching for the wire harness for convince group. I guess just by chance all eight that I have has the convince group. I did not go looking for that but do look for lots of options on cars I buy.
Ford did not install a generic wire harness one size fits all. Each is specific to the car and what options it has. A standard idiot light wire harness will not support a gauge set up you have to change the harness. It is easiest to pull the dash out if changing.

Several members have been searching for the wire harness for convince group. I guess just by chance all eight that I have has the convince group. I did not go looking for that but do look for lots of options on cars I buy.
Ford did not install a generic wire harness one size fits all. Each is specific to the car and what options it has. A standard idiot light wire harness will not support a gauge set up you have to change the harness. It is easiest to pull the dash out if changing.
You have to change both the dash harness and the engine compartment harness to go from non-gauge to gauge.  There are also differences in the dash harness between air and heater only.  You need to know what you are looking for when buying used harnesses.

In my opinion it All depends what you want to do...

if you are going concourse, then it will be expensive to get it all the concourse parts and harnesses (desirable if you have the $ and want to do it right).

My car had the “map light delete plate” (a plastic cover that fills the hole) instead of the map light and no convenience group package...another option for you to consider...although I personally like the map light.

I found one on eBay many years ago and installed it a about a month ago, with the help of this group and factory wiring diagrams.

I wired it in myself...easy to do if you don’t mind modifying your stock wiring harness a little.

My car is a base model, so I am adding certain options that I want as I go... it works great...comes on when you open the door, as it was designed to do, and by the switch if the door is closed.

there is a few threads on the topic here...just search for it

Latest posts

Back