Marti Report - H code 73 vert with special paint code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not had time to even look at this car since picking it up just over a year ago. Has anyone found any new information about paint codes for cars that were not painted at the factory?

One person told me I might find the 'off site' paint spec sheet under the seat. Has anyone reading this ever found one of these special assembly sheets under a seat in their cars? I haven't had time to break into the tear-down yet and just want to make sure I don't damage any paperwork that could be hidden in the car anywhere.

So looks we have another Special Paint and Trim Mustang. 
I have a 73 also and yes I did find the build sheet under my carpet. Was stuffed into the seat riser. I scanned it and sent Marti a copy because it had three Special Remarks. He got back to me he had made out what one of them was. It stated, "Install Argent Front Bumper". He had never seen a build sheet before. My car is Black and also a CW interior. I has very few options on it. 
We have another member that has a 1973 also black and it had not been painted so it still had the Argent front bumper and the two rubber fillers in front of the rear bumper are also Argent. 
I ordered a Mach 1 in 1973 and was going to get a Lincoln color. The salesman called me at work and he said Ford had called to let them know that the car would have a Chrome front bumper. We know there was no chrome in 73. I think that Ford had said Argent and he just told me chrome. I switched colors but wish I had not. 
I was told that Ford did the Special Paint cars were done in the like Fleet area where they do the special paint for police or fleet cars. Ford has built these since the start. I have seen 1964 1/2 that Henry Ford II had them put leather seats in and painted it a Lincoln color from the 1940. There are hundreds built each year. In 1971 they built 474, 1972 there was 382 and in 1973 there were 698. The numbers that Marti puts on the report are for verts only and he has a breakdown my interior code but no color codes. 
So in 1971 & 72 if you ordered Special Paint & Trim they put a chrome bumper on. In 1973 since there was not an approved chrome bumper Ford decided to paint them all Argent they had no way or did not want to have to mix special paint for the rubber bumper. 
|So when you do take your interior out go slow. Some members have found as many as three copies of their build sheets. Hope yours is in better shape than mine so we can learn more. 
I have attached copy of my Marti. I found the one I have on ebay and he had not put a pic of the door sticker. I convinced him to pull the car out and take a pic. When I saw the six digit DSO I bid on the car. People were afraid of it he had parked it for like 12 years in garage in Michigan. I got it for $3,200 and I drove to Michigan and went to the fall Mustang show at the Ford headquarters. I have not done anything with the one I have I have 8 72 & 73 mustangs so I will never get them all done. There is a registry for the Special Paint and Trim car online.

View attachment 3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf

I have a 73 also and yes I did find the build sheet under my carpet. Was stuffed into the seat riser. I scanned it and sent Marti a copy because it had three Special Remarks. He got back to me he had made out what one of them was. It stated, "Install Argent Front Bumper". He had never seen a build sheet before. My car is Black and also a CW interior. I has very few options on it.
We have another member that has a 1973 also black and it had not been painted so it still had the Argent front bumper and the two rubber fillers in front of the rear bumper are also Argent.
I ordered a Mach 1 in 1973 and was going to get a Lincoln color. The salesman called me at work and he said Ford had called to let them know that the car would have a Chrome front bumper. We know there was no chrome in 73. I think that Ford had said Argent and he just told me chrome. I switched colors but wish I had not.
I was told that Ford did the Special Paint cars were done in the like Fleet area where they do the special paint for police or fleet cars. Ford has built these since the start. I have seen 1964 1/2 that Henry Ford II had them put leather seats in and painted it a Lincoln color from the 1940. There are hundreds built each year. In 1971 they built 474, 1972 there was 382 and in 1973 there were 698. The numbers that Marti puts on the report are for verts only and he has a breakdown my interior code but no color codes.
So in 1971 & 72 if you ordered Special Paint & Trim they put a chrome bumper on. In 1973 since there was not an approved chrome bumper Ford decided to paint them all Argent they had no way or did not want to have to mix special paint for the rubber bumper.
|So when you do take your interior out go slow. Some members have found as many as three copies of their build sheets. Hope yours is in better shape than mine so we can learn more.
I have attached copy of my Marti. I found the one I have on ebay and he had not put a pic of the door sticker. I convinced him to pull the car out and take a pic. When I saw the six digit DSO I bid on the car. People were afraid of it he had parked it for like 12 years in garage in Michigan. I got it for $3,200 and I drove to Michigan and went to the fall Mustang show at the Ford headquarters. I have not done anything with the one I have I have 8 72 & 73 mustangs so I will never get them all done. There is a registry for the Special Paint and Trim car online.

View attachment 45213
Well I finally started tearing her down and the build sheet was pretty close to the same spot but it looks like they were careless and got a bunch of that black putty on it. The sheet is pretty much useless, only about 1/6th of it could be salvaged from the putty and the special paint code section was destroyed so my heart sank. I talk to the guys at Marti and they told me to send a paint chip to them from somewhere inconspicuous so I just sent it on Thursday. I am hoping their analyzer matches it so they can confirm the Color on their reproduction invoice. I have the Marti report as well and can put it online when I get home.

Recently there was a special paint dark blue vert on Ebay with the argent bumper if anyone cares.

Why would there be a pink color under the white on the front valance? Would the car have been originally pink? I also see some pink under the white in the trunk...

Well I finally started tearing her down and the build sheet was pretty close to the same spot but it looks like they were careless and got a bunch of that black putty on it. The sheet is pretty much useless, only about 1/6th of it could be salvaged from the putty and the special paint code section was destroyed so my heart sank. I talk to the guys at Marti and they told me to send a paint chip to them from somewhere inconspicuous so I just sent it on Thursday. I am hoping their analyzer matches it so they can confirm the Color on their reproduction invoice. I have the Marti report as well and can put it online when I get home.
Here is my updated Marti. I had to send in a sample from the actual body of the car.

Attachments

• 3f03h211106_dlxrpt.pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 20

View attachment 45213

I have stripped the inside of the car, pulled the motor and tranny (engine is at the shop being rebuilt), and ordered the new trunk pan. Oh the fun.

Attachments

• 3f03h211106_dlxrpt.pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 4
Why would there be a pink color under the white on the front valance? Would the car have been originally pink? I also see some pink under the white in the trunk...

Yes it was originally pink. I sent a sample into Marti and they generated a new report for me. I found a build sheet under the driver's side seat but it was pretty much destroyed by the black glue they used to hold the carpet down. Here are some proof pictures I used. The last one is my new Marti report. In '73 they didn't have a pink paint code but it is the same paint color as the Playboy Pink from '67, Passionate Pink from '68 and Hot Pink from '68/'69. The code is WT9036. On my updated Marti, it is simply noted as Pink. I am restoring it to the original color but will modify several other things.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 3f03h211106_dlxrpt.pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 7
That is super cool. There is another documented pink convertible that recently sold. It was on eBay, but it seems that it ended too long ago to be able to pull it up again. If I recall correctly they listed it as the only pink 73 convertible built. Guess what, we now know there was more than 1 built... Here is an article on it:
https://www.allcollectorcars.com/cl...d-mustang-factory-playboy-pink-351ci-v8-auto/

That is super cool. There is another documented pink convertible that recently sold. It was on eBay, but it seems that it ended too long ago to be able to pull it up again. If I recall correctly they listed it as the only pink 73 convertible built. Guess what, we now know there was more than 1 built... Here is an article on it:
https://www.allcollectorcars.com/cl...d-mustang-factory-playboy-pink-351ci-v8-auto/
Hey thanks for the link, it is very much appreciated. Mine is not a mach 1 so perhaps they are correct in stating it is the only pink mach 1. There actually wasn't a code in '73 for pink and they just used the code from another year. Mine does not have the ram air hood either it is just the plain hood. I have seen a picture of a '73 with the hood scoop from a '70 and it looks great, if I can find one similar I think I might have to add it. It is getting very tough to find decent engine parts for the rebuild so I might end up outside the hood with the intake. If the dimensions work out I think I would love the look of a shaker. I need to find an information source for stock hood to air filter clearance so I can do the math. The engine is at the performance shop and the hood is off so I can't physically measure where I am going to end up yet.

I have stripped the inside of the car, pulled the motor and tranny (engine is at the shop being rebuilt), and ordered the new trunk pan. Oh the fun.

View attachment 45213
Thank you for sharing your Marti report, I am really enjoying ripping this thing apart and ordering the new parts. Can you post the link for the special paint registry?

Hey thanks for the link, it is very much appreciated. Mine is not a mach 1 so perhaps they are correct in stating it is the only pink mach 1. There actually wasn't a code in '73 for pink and they just used the code from another year. Mine does not have the ram air hood either it is just the plain hood. I have seen a picture of a '73 with the hood scoop from a '70 and it looks great, if I can find one similar I think I might have to add it. It is getting very tough to find decent engine parts for the rebuild so I might end up outside the hood with the intake. If the dimensions work out I think I would love the look of a shaker. I need to find an information source for stock hood to air filter clearance so I can do the math. The engine is at the performance shop and the hood is off so I can't physically measure where I am going to end up yet.
That one is not a Mach 1 either, you could not have a Mach 1 convertible, it just has the side stripes and the hood stripes, which I am pretty sure you could order on a convertible. I don't believe you could get the two tone paint job on a convertible, you know the lower part of the car in argent. I am pretty sure you could order the ram air hood if you wanted it. I have never seen the Marti report on that car, but most probably the stripes, spoiler, and hood were added when they restored the car. Your car is a LOT better optioned than this one, you have power windows, factory A/C, instrumentation group, tilt steering, console, 8 track, etc.. which that that other one does not have. If your car had a Q-code engine, it would probably be one of the most desirable 73 convertibles ever made, if not the most desirable, and if it had a 4 speed forget about it. The 351 2-V just makes it a little more common and bring it down one notch. Your car would have been an extremely expensive car back in 1973, they could have probably bought a nice Lincoln for what that Mustang cost.

That one is not a Mach 1 either, you could not have a Mach 1 convertible, it just has the side stripes and the hood stripes, which I am pretty sure you could order on a convertible. I don't believe you could get the two tone paint job on a convertible, you know the lower part of the car in argent. I am pretty sure you could order the ram air hood if you wanted it. I have never seen the Marti report on that car, but most probably the stripes, spoiler, and hood were added when they restored the car.

The lower body paint would be part of the Decor Group, which was required to order the side stripes. The RM on the body buck tag indicates that it came with rocker moldings, which were deleted on Decor Group cars, so the stripes and paint were added. IMO, same with the hood paint, as a true TuTone car would have hood locks.

Considering the "pedigree" of the builder they show, and the supposed "only" status of the car, someone sure did make a hodgepodge mess of it.

The lower body paint would be part of the Decor Group, which was required to order the side stripes. The RM on the body buck tag indicates that it came with rocker moldings, which were deleted on Decor Group cars, so the stripes and paint were added. IMO, same with the hood paint, as a true TuTone car would have hood locks.

Considering the "pedigree" of the builder they show, and the supposed "only" status of the car, someone sure did make a hodgepodge mess of it.
Exterior Decor Groups also should have the Mach I grill, Color matching hood molding and no wheel lip chrome. Those are usually dead giveaways of add on decor groups also

Exterior Decor Groups also should have the Mach I grill, Color matching hood molding and no wheel lip chrome. Those are usually dead giveaways of add on decor groups also

Since it's a '73, all hood and fender moldings were body color regardless of model or option. The builder seems to have had them chromed.

I could spend hours picking the car apart, but ......

That one is not a Mach 1 either, you could not have a Mach 1 convertible, it just has the side stripes and the hood stripes, which I am pretty sure you could order on a convertible. I don't believe you could get the two tone paint job on a convertible, you know the lower part of the car in argent. I am pretty sure you could order the ram air hood if you wanted it. I have never seen the Marti report on that car, but most probably the stripes, spoiler, and hood were added when they restored the car. Your car is a LOT better optioned than this one, you have power windows, factory A/C, instrumentation group, tilt steering, console, 8 track, etc.. which that that other one does not have. If your car had a Q-code engine, it would probably be one of the most desirable 73 convertibles ever made, if not the most desirable, and if it had a 4 speed forget about it. The 351 2-V just makes it a little more common and bring it down one notch. Your car would have been an extremely expensive car back in 1973, they could have probably bought a nice Lincoln for what that Mustang cost.
Thanks Junk, that puts it all into perspective. The car was order by the owner of the Dunlop Ford in Lethbridge, Alberta for his wife. She was pissed that every vehicle she owned was destroyed by their 4 boys and it was always being used by them, so she did what any good woman would do that wanted something her boys wouldn't touch. Ordered it in Pink, problem solved.

Since it's a '73, all hood and fender moldings were body color regardless of model or option. The builder seems to have had them chromed.

I could spend hours picking the car apart, but ......
Agreed, no chrome on 73's hood and fender leading edges. First think I noticed wrong because it's so obvious. Next was the standard grill with a ram air hood. I changed my flat hood on my 73 302 powered sportsroof, back in around 77 and made sure I bought the Mach grill as well as the front spoiler. Did not do the two tone though, because I couldn't afford the hood locks, plus it had the half vinyl top in brown, which didn't go with the black IMHO, after all I was just 19 years old and stretching my budget. LOL1657604766822.png

Back