Marti Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertible
I would love to hear what others think about their reason to obtain a Marti Report on your 71-73 models. I have been on the fence about this for awhile.

With so many so called experts telling the world that the 71-73's models are insignificant what is the point in finding out how rare your car is if it isn't going to mean anything when or if you decide to sell it?

When I started my restoration of my car I wanted to keep it completely original and so many people questioned me on that saying it would be boring or not worth it, so I did make a lot of changes to my car to make it more my style which is what you should do when you are building something to make you happy. It seems that whether you make it a concourse original or a resto-mod your still don't have anything apparently significant in others eyes.

So do you think that a Marti Report is even necessary for our cars?

Does anyone have a story to share that the Marti Report changed the course of their restoration?

You know what they say about opinions, right? They're like *%#holes, everybody got one.

And while we're quoting trivial phrases, here's another one: one mans treasure is another mans garbage.

I am happy that I have a car that you don't see everywhere. Go to a car show and there will be so many pre 71 Mustangs that you will trip over one if you don't watch your step. That's what I call boring.

I'm not saying I don't like them but I don't see why those guys think that their word is gospel, only because they like their cars better.

Back to topic.

There is no NEED to get a Marti at all, unless you wanna restore your car to factory specs.

But there is also the wish to know more about your car, even if you modded it until it does not even resemble the car that came from the factory.

That was my case. Although I have turned a medium brown, 302 car with appearance protection group and a white top into a yellow car with black top and ford racing crate 351Windsor, lowered suspension with 18 inch rims and had everything removed that belonged to the appearance protection group because I wanted clean lines, I still wanted to know about the history of my car.

I wanted to know what day it was ordered, bucked, built and eventually left the factory.

I wanted to know what it was ordered with, simply because I also wanted to know what the previous owners had altered.

It's like wanting to know what your wife was like as a child, where she grew up and went to school. Ok, in this case you usually don't want to know too much about the previous owners. :)

And remember that maybe someday our cars may be much more sought after than they are now. If the "Gone in 60 seconds" remake had been made with the correct car, even modified by Chip Foose, we'd be sitting on gold mines.

You never know.

A few years ago you could buy a 71 Roadrunner for a tip. Try finding one now.

I got a Marti Report when I bought my '73. There were some surprises, my car now includes some options that were not on the list and is missing some of the options that were on the list. What I found really interesting is that the car was purchased new less than 50 miles from here and apparently has stayed in the neighborhood. I was not expecting anything special when I ordered the report, just an authoritative statement of how the car came from the factory in case I ever wanted to "restore" to original. I also needed to get the replacement door sticker and the report/sticker package is not a bad deal.

I do have to admit that I was both surprised and happy when the personalized stats came back showing my car as a one-of-one. It does provide some incentive to stick to original when making decisions on replacements.

You know what they say about opinions, right? They're like *%#holes, everybody got one.

And while we're quoting trivial phrases, here's another one: one mans treasure is another mans garbage.

I am happy that I have a car that you don't see everywhere. Go to a car show and there will be so many pre 71 Mustangs that you will trip over one if you don't watch your step. That's what I call boring.

I'm not saying I don't like them but I don't see why those guys think that their word is gospel, only because they like their cars better.

Back to topic.

There is no NEED to get a Marti at all, unless you wanna restore your car to factory specs.

But there is also the wish to know more about your car, even if you modded it until it does not even resemble the car that came from the factory.

That was my case. Although I have turned a medium brown, 302 car with appearance protection group and a white top into a yellow car with black top and ford racing crate 351Windsor, lowered suspension with 18 inch rims and had everything removed that belonged to the appearance protection group because I wanted clean lines, I still wanted to know about the history of my car.

I wanted to know what day it was ordered, bucked, built and eventually left the factory.

I wanted to know what it was ordered with, simply because I also wanted to know what the previous owners had altered.

It's like wanting to know what your wife was like as a child, where she grew up and went to school. Ok, in this case you usually don't want to know too much about the previous owners. :)

And remember that maybe someday our cars may be much more sought after than they are now. If the "Gone in 60 seconds" remake had been made with the correct car, even modified by Chip Foose, we'd be sitting on gold mines.

You never know.

A few years ago you could buy a 71 Roadrunner for a tip. Try finding one now.
Can't say it any better than that

I got a Martin report because I wanted to make it like the day it rolled off the line. Just a personal choice. You have to do the car with what you want, not expectation of others. That is the reason you purchase it in the first place.

I agree with what Mike said.

My car is so far from original a Marti does me no good. :D

Nope, I said even though the car is far from original I still wanted the Marti just because I wanted to know the history of the car. :)

+1 on the comments thus far. I like the history behind my cars. Whether I plan to stay original or modify, I think it is cool to feel like I was at the dealership buying the car new and knowing what it was like. OK, that sounded creepy! I will just say I like the knowing what the car was like back in the day.

The Emminger Invoice is more impressive to me than the report. One can look at most of the 71-73s and determine most if not all the options a car came from the factory with. Marti is the only place to get the production numbers for your specific car if you are seeking to know if your car is a one of one. I'm not into that so much because there are many factors that could go into the one of one criteria. Marty does an excellent job of applying all the criteria and crunching the numbers. In my opinion some of that criteria is meaningless TO ME but may be important to others.

If you have no value of history of your car..Nor care...They are worthless peice of paper...But if you are curious about you're cars history...You will want every report you can get...Each report unwraps a little more and fills you in and things you never Knew..I never Knew nor would ever known mine had a vinyl top on it at one time......Nor would i have known it was a display car with alot of options "so many i thought they was stuck on later" Plus it is a nice peice of paper when some one tells me that something is not stock on my car...A few have told me that my powerwindows was stuck in later..lol.....Marti report and other reports do stop the talk..lol..No more guessing...Too restore your car they are great...To know where your car come from originaly "dealership and state or country"..When your cars birthday is...Just little things...I think for 50 too 100 bucks they tell alot of information....And if you do plan to sell it some day..Or hard times show up and you have to part ways..It will definitely help with the sale of your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have no value of history of your car..Nor care...They are worthless peice of paper...But if you are curious about you're cars history...You will want every report you can get...Each report unwraps a little more and fills you in and things you never Knew..I never Knew nor would ever known mine had a vinyl top on it at one time......Nor would i have known it was a display car with alot of options "so many i thought they was stuck on later" Plus it is a nice peice of paper when some one tells me that something is not stock on my car...A few have told me that my powerwindows was stuck in later..lol.....Marti report and other reports do stop the talk..lol..No more guessing...Too restore your car they are great...To know where your car come from originaly "dealership and state or country"..When your cars birthday is...Just little things...I think for 100 bucks they fill in alot of information..And if you do plan to sell it some day..Or hard times show up and you have to part ways..It will defenatly help with the sale of your car.
Hey, what on the reprort or where shows it as a display car? Never saw that on any I have had

Don

Looked for your report - do you have it posted?

Hey, what on the reprort or where shows it as a display car? Never saw that on any I have had

Don

Order type : Stock – a dealer orders a vehicle to have available for display at his/her location....Was not meaning it said display on the marti ;)

I agree with what Hyena said. My comment was just addressing the one of one aspect. Some of the data Marti provides only can be obtained from his report which is derived from the Vehicle Order Image which he purchased from Lois Emminger before she died. Emminger worked for Ford back in the day and obtained permission to keep those records instead of them being destroyed. She had great vision. I may be off in the exact facts above but that's the jist of how it went down.

I agree with what Mike said.

My car is so far from original a Marti does me no good. :D

Nope, I said even though the car is far from original I still wanted the Marti just because I wanted to know the history of the car. :)
Hi Mike, the second line of my post is my editorial. Not trying to speak for you my friend! :D

Don

Order type : Stock – a dealer orders a vehicle to have available for display at his/her location....Was not meaning it said display on the marti ;)

::huh:::

But is that a rare order type? I thought STOCK meant car would be put into dealer stock/inventory as a regularly ordered vehicle. Hmmm I need to study up on the order types...

Ray

Great thread and it is obvious everyone has a different opinion depending on what they have planned for their car...

A basic Marti report is $15, and gives you most of the relevant info for your car. Seems like you would want to know the most you could about your car for a few bucks as you could discover it is a very special car that might change your plans for it.

I am also with Don on the Emminger invoice...I ordered one for my car and found out it was not built for a dealership but was sold to Ford Marketing Corporation. Without this report would not have known that it was unique.

Bottom line is to do whatever makes you happy and enjoy the hobby.

Jeff

When the Marti Report comes out the BS stops.

You can say your car is all original, but...

I am a proponent of gathering all the documentation

on your car you can find. The dealer's window sticker

is a nice touch at shows. The Holy Grail of documentation

is probably the build sheet, second to that would be the

Eminger invoice. There is only one of those original documents

for your car.

mike

Back