Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge readings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Recently, there have been several posts on oil pressure readings on mechanical and electronic gauges. A year or so back, I upgraded by adding a 3 gauge center pod. I chose Bosch mechanical temp and oil with their volt meter. 

Several have posted a variety of readings on the oil gauge. Some have been anywhere from about 35 psi to 75 psi, hot at idle and while driving.

The gauges I put in never seemed to drop much below about 70 -75 psi. Yesterday, I was out for a drive with the wife and when I got home, I noticed something a bit different......... either that or my memory is worse than I thought. Anyway at hot idle, the pressure had dropped to about 45 psi, but went up to 70-75 when revved. I know I need an oil change and the level might be down a pint or so, but I'm waiting for the local Napa store to reopen so I can get a Napa Gold filter, but that's a whole new subject. ( Been doing a bit of "research" on Oil Filters which has only served to confuse me more!)

Anyway, I took a video of the gauges, so I'll post it below.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my 351Cs were @80psi cold, @40-50 psi hot idle.

IIRC, the 351C pump pressure relief is 80psi
Again, thanks. Good to know mine's on track. I probably should take a bit more notice in future.

As a recap, the oil pump is a Melling standard volume, stock pressure relief.

Back